Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Interesting observations on open carry at Costco

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by soberups, Apr 12, 2012.

1. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

I was at the Wilsonville Costco store today during the lunch hour sitting at one of the picnic tables with my $1.50 hot dog and soda when I noticed a guy open carrying. I've never seen anybody OC in Costco before, and it took me a bit by surprise. I am 99% certain he was not a cop. He was carrying a stainless 1911 with walnut grips, (looked like a Kimber or a SA to my untrained eye) cocked and locked in one of the form-fitting hard plastic retention holsters.

I have to admit I found it a bit unnerving when he walked over to a position almost directly behind me with his back to the wall. I wound up slightly shifting around in my seat so that I could see him out of the corner of my eye. Intellectually I knew he was probably just a law-abiding citizen choosing to OC, but I still didnt like him being directly at my 6:00 and only a few feet away.

After a bit he walked over and joined an older man who was probably his father and they got in line with everyone else to buy a hot dog. I had the opportunity at that point to "people watch" everyone around him and see what sort of reactions they had to his openly carried weapon. I saw several people glance down at it, but nobody seemed surprised or frightened by it at all. I guess I was expecting some sort of reaction, maybe a Costco employee coming over to ask him to leave, but nothing of the sort happened. I found that to be a pleasant surprise.

2. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

they didnt freak because he wasnt wearing a trench coat or dressed like a cholo or wearing saggy pant and gold chains

3. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

I do not know - I was in a market the other day there was a couple buying food with their kids. BOth were open carry. Found out - neither were cops. He goes - look around - there are more in this store. Sure enough - saw a few more people.
    No one was running around with their heads cut off worried about it.
    I guess in states with a more pro gun environment - it is not a major issue

I wondered if the market gets more business since it is friendly to gun owners?
    MAybe they feel safer?
    No signs posted restricting guns.

4. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Yup.

5. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

This is my problem with OC. Even those who are used to being around guns may be nervous around a stranger with a gun. I know OC people will start up about their rights but it has more negative impact on our 2nd amendment rights than good IMHO. OCing to me, other than hunting/camping, is just "Hey look at me" attention whoring.

19 Adam, Adam12, 556 and 9 others like this.
  6. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

Saw a guy here in Oregon with an OC Colt Python. The reaction? Several people pointed and laughed out loud..Swear to God.

7. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

I went to high school in SW New Mexico. One day a year everyone would come to school OC. It was called frontier Day.
    I brought my dad's 94 30/30. You weren't supposed to bring ammo. Showes how old I am...

Pilot Polda and (deleted member) like this.
  8. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

Aw that just cruel showboating on his part.

judicator, mjbskwim, soberups and 3 others like this.
  9. Edgewalker

Edgewalker Salem Member

Chipperxd, while I understand your point, I respectfully disagree with it having a negative impact. I think it makes people nervous because it's uncommon. If it were a regular occurrence to see people in check out OC'ing I think more people would be more comfortable with it. Or said another way, if everyone who likes guns suddenly started carrying openly everyone else would see that the majority of gun owners are sane, civil people. Sure, you will always have the die hards who hate guns no matter what but the general population would come to understand that "school shooters" are not representative of the normal gun owner. On the other hand, I think not seeing people carrying everyday make it's easier to demonize the weapon and not the shooter.

evltwn, carracer, Doctnt and 9 others like this.
  10. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

The only time I've ever OC'd is at the range, and even then I prefer to practice from my CC rig- since it's far more applicable to any circumstance when I'd possibly need my pistol. Not too many criminals would be dumbass enough to try to knock over a gun range...

11. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

I support the right to open carry while at the same time questioning its wisdom. I have to be honest and say that my intitial reaction to the guy I saw today was nervousness. It is out of the ordinary to see someone openly carrying in a Costco, and when the guy took up a position 6 feet directly behind me it bugged me a little, even though I was carrying concealed at the time. Not saying my feelings were rational, but they were there nonetheless.

12. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I would feel very comfortable with private citizens open carrying around me, anywhere. It is obvious why the general public would not see it that way though.

No criminal is going to open carry a gun into a place with the intent of doing harm, they'd of course hide the gun in a bag or whatever. I finally decided to do my part and get a CHL myself. Not really looking forward to lugging around a pistol, but I think of it as a law abiding citizen's duty. For too long I've depended on others for protection - other CHL folks - we all know a cop would never be there when help is really needed. Having my life in someone else's hands, even if the chance is .001%, is just too much. I train as much as a cop does, so I might as well put that training into practice.

carracer, M67, andreys21 and 11 others like this.
  13. Tangent123123

Tangent123123 Battle Ground Active Member

I totally agree with you. Even though I support the right to OC, I would be a bit nervous as well. My first response is "stranger with a firearm" and I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with him directly behind me. Sure, we can talk about people becoming more comfortable with seeing it, but with all he bad press, the crime and the rabid anti gunners, all it ever will be is talk. People aren't going to change.

Adam12 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I have been around too many people that shouldn't have guns.......that did have them.
    I really like to know the person I am around that is carrying.
    After having a woman point a cocked and NOT LOCKED 1911 at my feet
    And having a dad take his daughter out to the firing line to set up targets.....without asking me or the other guy shooting there if it was cool.....
    I would just like to know that the person next to me,with a gun,has some semblance of intelligence,before he has a gun that I am within range of.
    If he is CCing,then I'm non the wiser.
    Once it is more prevalent,then most will except it.
    I guess being around guns and people that maybe shouldn't have guns,I see it different than some

Kinda,just because you can,doesn't mean you should

Adam12 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Actually there have been some at gun shops, or at least one that had to step around a marked police car to enter. The officers were inside too. I'm not sure if he lived or not. It does happen, but the results are not good for the perp.

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Bear Arms in Renton,I believe,had a guy walk past a cruiser to go inside and get killed.
    This was quite a few years ago.
    It does definitely happen.

17. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

I agree with what you have posted 100% and that it is very uncommon. But people will ALWAYS fear what they are not familiar with. Unless there is a plan in place to educate the masses, it will never be accepted as being "normal". Majority of gun owners are good law abiding citizens but gun owners are still a minority in our society. I do wish OCing was a regular everyday thing but it's not at the moment. While OCing may not have immediate negative impact but I don't see how scaring people out in public is going to be good either.

Burt Gummer - As to the point above about no criminals going to open carry a gun, if it became the norm where everyone and their momma is OCing, how would you tell the difference?

18. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he wasn't asked to leave.

You see, Costco has an official un-official policy to disallow guns in their store. If they see someone carrying, they will ask them to leave with the excuse that some customer complained. If they don't see the gun, then generally nothing will happen based upon your observation that the general public is generally OK with seeing someone with a gun.

I myself was asked to leave the Tigard Costco when an employee saw me OC'ing one day.

19. tattoo

tattoo NorthWest Active Member

I open carry. You would be surprised how little attention you get. :)
    Dave

20. MilesTeg

MilesTeg Troutdale, OR Active Member

What's a "cholo"? ----- Nevermind: Google and Urban Dict had the answer