JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These things are much appreciated by myself when people will post them.:cool:
I do my best to pay attention so i don't repeat the situation;)
But, some people like my customer, should not be allowed to "Reproduce". During the few years I knew him he managed to have Three (3) KABOOMS!!! He wasn't one to listen. One was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. The whole top of the Gun was gone, including the rear of the Barrel and front of the Frame. He used a "Magnum" load of Bullseye!:eek::eek::eek:

I dabbled in handloading for a while. I went to an indoor range one day and had some loads I wanted to shoot in my gp100. Between having hearing protection on and how loud it was in there from everyone else shooting, I couldn't hear the report of my shots. I was shooting some mild loads, and not paying enough attention to the recoil. I shot one round, pulled the hammer to roll the next chamber in the cylinder around, and it wouldn't pull back. On inspection, I realized that the bullet was stuck partially in the forcing cone, and partially in the cylinder. I've often wondered what would have happened if it would have scooted another half inch up the barrel, and I had squeezed off that next round.

It takes a special humility to admit when we make mistakes, but if it's a lesson that can save somebody from hurting themselves, or at the very least thwart complacency, you are doing a great service.
Much appreciated!

Years ago I got "shot" by a ricochet from an over-loaded .44 magnum reload at an indoor range. Came back with enough force that it went through my shirt and lodged in by belly. Had to pry out the pieces with my knife. Luckily the projectile had partially broken up so it was mostly jacket and some lead. The guy shooting them got tossed, I got to clean up and bandage myself with the range's first aid supplies. :rolleyes:

If they were "mild" loads you might have gotten away with out too much damage. But there may have been things wrong with the load since the first one didn't work right either.

But, some people like my customer, should not be allowed to "Reproduce". During the few years I knew him he managed to have Three (3) KABOOMS!!! He wasn't one to listen. One was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. The whole top of the Gun was gone, including the rear of the Barrel and front of the Frame. He used a "Magnum" load of Bullseye!:eek::eek::eek:
There's that old saying about beating a gift horse to drink water or something...:s0013:

If they were "mild" loads you might have gotten away with out too much damage. But there may have been things wrong with the load since the first one didn't work right either.

Yeah, maybe. My guess is I forgot to put the powder in and just the primer went off. Maybe the next round had double the powder? I stopped handloading, because I realized I wasn't giving it the focus it deserves. I'll get back to it one day, but that and a couple other screw ups made me make myself quit for a while.

I once fired a 6.5x55 in a .270WSM. Made for a very strange fireformed case, apparently the 6.5 mm bullet rattled down the 6.8 mm barrel without difficulty. Had it not been a Winchester Model 70 semi controlled round feed, it probably wouldn't have even fired.
Lesson learned, only have the proper ammo on the bench with the proper rifle. Synthetic black stocks all look alike.

The other day I was checking some new mags I had some 7.62x30 ak mags and some new Colt AR mags,
I had some dummy rounds to check how they worked. I was not aware but had grabbed a 223 dummy and put it beside a 7.62x39 and then tested the mag. It jammed obviously and I dropped the mag and realized I had a dummy round stuck in my barrel but came out easy. I never have life rounds near each other for this reason, but was still a good wake up call to check and wear my glasses next time. PS I keep dummy rounds and live in different places and even then I triple check them just to be sure when tinkering. Reading this post was also a nice refresher.

I once fired a 6.5x55 in a .270WSM. Made for a very strange fireformed case, apparently the 6.5 mm bullet rattled down the 6.8 mm barrel without difficulty. Had it not been a Winchester Model 70 semi controlled round feed, it probably wouldn't have even fired.
Lesson learned, only have the proper ammo on the bench with the proper rifle. Synthetic black stocks all look alike.

I'll admit to doing almost the same thing, except in my case it was a 6.5x55 cartridge loaded into a 300 WSM (with controlled round feed but it loaded it up anyway). I pulled the trigger and instead of a shoulder wrenching wallop, I got a pop and then as the original poster noted, what felt like a face full of sand. No cuts for me though. The 6.5x55 case itself was blown out and the bullet had rolled out somewhere -- it certainly wasn't in the bore. The luckiest part of that whole deal, was that I had bought a set of Lapua brass for the 6.5 and instead of getting 100 shells, I received 101. So after blowing up that shell I had a nice even numbered set of brass rather than an awkward 101.

I have two Remington KS rifles and they are a couple of my favorite hunting rifles, one 7mm rem mag and one 270. The rifles are pretty much identical in color and both have Leupold scopes.
Today I was at the range with friends and shooting them both. I chambered and fired a 270 cartridge in the 7mm. I wasn't exactly sure what happened after I fired the rifle. I got a face full of debris and smelled a lot of burned powder. I got a couple of very minor cuts on my forehead that I was unaware of until I asked my friend what my face looked like. It felt like I got sprayed with high velocity sand. I thought I had a case head separation although when I opened the bolt there was nothing. I removed the bolt and could see that the barrel was obstructed. When I got home I ran a rod down the barrel and the 270 case fell out.
Lesson learned, in the future I will only have the ammo on the bench for the firearm that I am shooting. Be careful my friends.
View attachment 453038

This is the kind of stuff they used to really stress in hunters safety class. Glad to see you are alright. Maybe others that don't know, can learn from your mishap and never do what you did... Good lesson learned i'm sure..

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top