JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My preference on gun control: If there's a gun around, I prefer to be the one controlling it.

I don't remember where I stole that from, but I've always liked it. Anyway, we're all different. I don't like drawing attention, and especially not to the fact that I'm armed. That said, I respect the folks who OC for sake being comfortable in their own skins and raising public awareness. I don't like it when it appears to be showboating.

Got another response from Costco, still nothing specific. Looks like they're just playing with us :

Dear fd15k,

This email in response to your email dated April 13, 2012 regarding Costco's "No
Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores. We apologize for any inconvenience this
policy might have caused you, however, this policy is administered at all our warehouses.
As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the
meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a
bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public.
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the
general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who
agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members,
to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors
are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members
agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of
membership.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its
warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the
protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent
precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is
meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is
not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual
city/county/state/country where we do business.

The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.
We are sorry that the message you are hearing is that "we don't want you." It is the
firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.
Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe
that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is
either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or
you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual
membership fee in full.

Sincerely,

Thank you,
Kim Sherrod

Executive Assistant to:
Tom Padilla - AVP Marketing/ Membership
Robin Ross - Sr. Director
(425) 427-7575
(253) 334-0320 cell
(425) 416-3159 fax

I've OC'ed in ID. It's a nice option when the temperature is above 80 degrees. Wish I could of had the option of OC'ing when I lived in TX.

Well, Costco has stated their position and you certainly aren't going to get them to change it so live with it or quit going there. I've never been to a Costco when I wasn't carrying concealed and have never had a problem.

Good for the guy OCing. Of course I would notice it and wonder what if. But common since would kick in and tell me that if he wanted to blow me away, he would keep it concealed and bring out his firearm when he wanted to blow me away. I see people with pocket knifes in public sitting behind me..... do I think that they might sneak behind me and cut my throat? yeah but I am not freaking out over it. It's part of my training to notice and think WHAT IF and tactically position myself in a way so I can respond if SHTF. I am all for OCing and CCing! it's a double sided blade and I will leave it at that.
I am more worried/concerned when I see a group of homeboys walking around with their pants sagging.... because I don't know if they are packing.... at least I know the guy OCing has a gun lol.

Got my CHL today, right on the spot, pre-applied online; fancy new card looks nicer than my license. There is a new sheriff in town.

As much as I love guns it is going to feel really weird carrying a pistol on my person outside the gun action range. Will start with a mouse gun like an LCP. Must remember not to take it over the river into Vantucky though without locking it away in the trunk. Unless I get a Utah permit I guess. A lot of people must go that route living here in the Portland area.

Got my CHL today, right on the spot, pre-applied online; fancy new card looks nicer than my license. There is a new sheriff in town.

As much as I love guns it is going to feel really weird carrying a pistol on my person outside the gun action range. Will start with a mouse gun like an LCP. Must remember not to take it over the river into Vantucky though without locking it away in the trunk. Unless I get a Utah permit I guess. A lot of people must go that route living here in the Portland area.

I'm taking the UT permit class myself for exactly this reason- and yes it has felt strange for me thus far to be walking around with my pistol...

I'm taking the UT permit class myself for exactly this reason- and yes it has felt strange for me thus far to be walking around with my pistol...

The UT one is popular. Depending on what you want to do, the WA one might work too.

If you carry somewhat regularly, it will feel normal and you won't be self-conscious. In the meantime, resist the urge to adjust your holster.

I work at costco and the executives are all Seattle liberals. I am not sure what exactly it says or does not say in the membership agreement however my employee handbook states that I may not have a firearm anywhere on company premises, even locked in my vehicle. The reaction you may get OC'ing in a Costco may vary greatly regionaly. I saw someone OC'ing a few months back and thought nothing of it. A manager seen it however and simply asked him to please conceal it. In Seattle or Portland they may ask you to leave.

I fully support OC and do it myself occasionaly. I have never had any type of negative experience OC'ing. If someone gets nervous from seeing someone practice a fully legal right (in the freeish areas of this country anyway) then oh well. I am not responsible for the emotional reactions of others. It is my responsibility and duty, to excersize my rights (like a muscle), and to do so in a responsible and safe way.

I work at costco and the executives are all Seattle liberals. I am not sure what exactly it says or does not say in the membership agreement however my employee handbook states that I may not have a firearm anywhere on company premises, even locked in my vehicle.

That's pretty much the rule for large companies looking to limit liability regardless of the political leanings of the executives.

Canceled my Costco membership today because of this. While I was canceling a lady behind me heard the conversation and said she was carrying in her purse and would cancel as well. Will it matter to them, probably not but it felt good to me.

Aw that just cruel showboating on his part.

That is not showboating, that is called normalizing...a 6" Colt is one of my normal carries, and I never conceal on purpose...only in winter when I have a coat on, and then just until the coat can come off. What's wrong, are you jelly beans? Would you really like to own a Python or Anaconda yourself maybe? Maybe an Officers Model .38? (Got one, carry it at times too...but it is an antique (1926) so I'm kind of careful with it.

The problem with you concealed only guys is you think you are getting away with something...eh? Never have a problem with a cop OC do you? So why do you have a problem with Joe Citizen OC?

I work at costco and the executives are all Seattle liberals. I am not sure what exactly it says or does not say in the membership agreement however my employee handbook states that I may not have a firearm anywhere on company premises, even locked in my vehicle. The reaction you may get OC'ing in a Costco may vary greatly regionaly. I saw someone OC'ing a few months back and thought nothing of it. A manager seen it however and simply asked him to please conceal it. In Seattle or Portland they may ask you to leave.

I fully support OC and do it myself occasionaly. I have never had any type of negative experience OC'ing. If someone gets nervous from seeing someone practice a fully legal right (in the freeish areas of this country anyway) then oh well. I am not responsible for the emotional reactions of others. It is my responsibility and duty, to excersize my rights (like a muscle), and to do so in a responsible and safe way.

Costco does not have a "Corporate" policy. It is not in any of the membership materials, and there are some Costco's you can OC in (Bellingham and Burlington, WA I have personal experience with OC, no problems) and some that get upset. I moved to the dry side 7 years ago and retired...Closest costco is in Canada...don't have my membership any more.

Hej Burt! You don't need a license in WA to OC, no need to lock it in the trunk. If you don't have a license, just pop the mag out and put the mag in your pocket when you are in a vehicle, the pistol can stay on your hip....otherwise, carry locked and loaded...but like OR, don't conceal without a recognized license...BTW: WA is Shall issue...resident or non-resident, no special training required...they will give you a booklet with the laws and tell you to read it...any sheriff's office, takes all of 15 minutes (but you do have to go in person)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top