JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Helping my buddy christen his newly assembled AR-10 (.308) and we had some real fireworks to commemorate the occasion. Still no idea how this happened, but he's now down one magazine (blew apart) and I'm compulsively counting my fingers to make sure they're all there.

Here's my keepsake from the adventure:

2.jpg
1.jpg

No firing pin issue?
I left after that incident so I didn't inspect the rifle, but I'm sure my friend is likely diagnosing it at home as we speak.

I'm pretty confused as to how this happened even with a broken / stuck firing pin though (which seems most likely) since then I'd just assume it would slam fire, instead of detonating out of battery as it obviously did.

Agree with @msgriff -- headspace fail. Not just raw bolt against barrel, but also chamber/case, as I describe below.
This can cause a firing out of battery.
If his AR10 chamber was tight, and the case head just a little bit oversized, you won't chamber by as much as 5mil, but the hammer will still hit the pin with enough angle to set off the primer. Kaboom.
Back it off a little farther, and the hammer will hit the firing pin at enough of an angle where it moves it forward and may slightly dimple the primer, but not ignite the round.
How do I know this? First hand experience....
My bolt would only close 2/3 of the proper rotation, locking the bolt in place but just barely. The hammer would strike but no fire (thankfully). I saw weak dimples and was relieved that it had not sparked off the round.
Took it home to examine the problem, where I discovered the fine discrepancy in diameters.
I solved my problem with a small base die.

FWIW, have the headspace checked now. Curts on McGloughlin or ORW in Tigard. Any time you have a catastrophic failure like that, you can wowie the chamber or damage the bolt.

Agree with @msgriff -- headspace fail. Not just raw bolt against barrel, but also chamber/case, as I describe below.
If his AR10 chamber was tight, and the case head just a little bit oversized, you won't chamber by as much as 5mil, but the hammer will still hit the pin with enough angle to set off the primer. Kaboom.
Back it off a little farther, and the hammer will hit the firing pin at enough of an angle where it moves it forward and may slightly dimple the primer, but not ignite the round.
My bolt would only close 2/3 of the proper rotation, locking the bolt in place but just barely. The hammer would strike but no fire (thankfully). I saw weak dimples and was relieved that it had not sparked off the round.
Took it home to examine the problem, where I discovered the fine discrepancy in diameters.

FWIW, have the headspace checked now. Curts on McGloughlin or ORW in Tigard. Any time you have a catastrophic failure like that, you can wowie the chamber or damage the bolt.
This is very good info. I'll relay this to the rifle's owner. Thanks for your input!

@kmk1012 you might want to reconsider running the extended length firing pin in your 50 if you having any doubt about the lugs completely locking. I wouldn't want this to happen in your set up.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top