JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hermanr- perhaps you should re-read your own statement- the mere suggestion that by choosing to carry concealed means you are up to no good is patently absurd. The fact that this is what the supreme court of Idaho thought in 1902 is immaterial to me, because that is not the current law or state of things. I do not OC. I don't care if people do either. I don't care why people choose one way or the other- I care that we get to choose one way or the other. Choosing to carry concealed does not make one shady in and of itself any more than choosing to carry openly makes one a cowboy- for this reason alone I made the statement that the "old man" in your post was full of crap.

I mostly CC/ and rarely do OC, but I have OC at a Clackamas Costco in their food court area. I was carrying a glock 19 at the time and I did observed a employee who was on break spotted my firearm and he did a double take on it while eating his hotdog. He just ask how my day and etc while I sat in the bench next to him eating my lunch, nothing else came out of it. Everybody else seem fine about it and even a older lady ask me to help her load her items in the back of her vehicle while I was in the parking lot.

Your RV will never be searched for a weapon in WA unless there has been some actual crime committed. Traffic INFRACTIONS are not crimes.

Yep, CPL, or No CPL you're good in an RV if you are going camping (not when you use your RV to commute, but they won't look for weapons anyway...except maybe the game warden looking for loaded long guns)

My RV is 41' long, over 8½ ft wide and 12½' high, I can't even get it into the parking lot at work!! I used to drive our 1988 17' MH to work though as we only owned two vehicles at the time and we both worked.

they didnt freak because he wasnt wearing a trench coat or dressed like a cholo or wearing saggy pant and gold chains

1thumbup.gif

1thumbup.gif

I went to high school in SW New Mexico. One day a year everyone would come to school OC. It was called frontier Day.
I brought my dad's 94 30/30. You weren't supposed to bring ammo. Showes how old I am...
That darn Black Powder is so messy too.....but that's why you wear the coonskin cap right...as a duster...:winkkiss:

Hermanr- perhaps you should re-read your own statement- the mere suggestion that by choosing to carry concealed means you are up to no good is patently absurd. The fact that this is what the supreme court of Idaho thought in 1902 is immaterial to me, because that is not the current law or state of things. I do not OC. I don't care if people do either. I don't care why people choose one way or the other- I care that we get to choose one way or the other. Choosing to carry concealed does not make one shady in and of itself any more than choosing to carry openly makes one a cowboy- for this reason alone I made the statement that the "old man" in your post was full of crap.

Well, perhaps we all have our own points of view, the old man in my comment definately did, and he carried, openly, in OR, in the 50's. We are all influenced by our own experiences, but I am very tired of the elitist attitude of some CPL/CHL holders and their extreme concern that no-one knows they are armed. That is dumb. We don't live in Texas, we do not have to worry about someone knowing we can protect ourselves,,,exactly opposite, OC is available to anyone that can legally possess a firearm...without a nanny permit from momma.

Now I will ask you (and any LEO on here) a question: Occationally a person with a CPL/CHL will commit a crime with that weapon...I think it works out to something like 0.1 to 0.2%. Can you show me where anyone that has been conviced of a crime, that had used a firearm that was openly carried? (Cops committing crimes don't count here, and I am not talking about shotguns either, I am talking about sidearms.)?

I'll bet you cannot...Why, those that are up to no-good hide their weapons.... if you use logic, and not emotion, when you read this, you will see I DID NOT say everyone that conceals is up to no good... I only said that those that are up to no good, conceal their weapons.

I have a CPL, I resisted for many many years, but changes in laws made it more convient to have a CPL...and then OC anyway. You will never educate the public to their right to carry by hiding your carry.

Here is my stand on this whole discussion:
I think more people should open carry AND get CHLs. Why? Because it is a right and if you don't use it, you'll lose it. However, can't stand people that OC just to get attention. There are many examples of this, more recently, the guy with his new XD in front of a Target store in Portland/Vancouver area. I think this was about a year ago where he just stood in front of the store until someone called the cops. IIRC, he was detained for "brandishing". OC or CCW and go about your business, don't just stand there on your soap box. You make everyone else that OC or CCW look like a total a--hole. As far as Costco policy, Oregon Law allows you to open carry on public property. If you are on private property, they have a full right to tell you to leave or not, without any official written policy on the matter. I guess CCW is a subject to an offical policy such as posted signs. If I see someone OC, i wouldn't pay too much into it but I do agree that if it was a Glock or other LEO type firearm, I'd think he was an officer.

I'd love absolutely love it if someone organized and an OPEN CARRY event around Portland area one weekend in the summer. A BBQ or a demonstration of some sort to make people aware of Oregon Law's on the subject. What say you, guys and gals?

Here is my stand on this whole discussion:
I think more people should open carry AND get CHLs. Why? Because it is a right and if you don't use it, you'll lose it. However, can't stand people that OC just to get attention. There are many examples of this, more recently, the guy with his new XD in front of a Target store in Portland/Vancouver area. I think this was about a year ago where he just stood in front of the store until someone called the cops. IIRC, he was detained for "brandishing". OC or CCW and go about your business, don't just stand there on your soap box. You make everyone else that OC or CCW look like a total a--hole. As far as Costco policy, Oregon Law allows you to open carry on public property. If you are on private property, they have a full right to tell you to leave or not, without any official written policy on the matter. I guess CCW is a subject to an offical policy such as posted signs. If I see someone OC, i wouldn't pay too much into it but I do agree that if it was a Glock or other LEO type firearm, I'd think he was an officer.

I'd love absolutely love it if someone organized and an OPEN CARRY event around Portland area one weekend in the summer. A BBQ or a demonstration of some sort to make people aware of Oregon Law's on the subject. What say you, guys and gals?

BTW: Josh (The college student that was arrested in Vancouver), was not brandishing, he was not displaying, and he was no trying to show off. He was waiting for a friend to come pick him up, at night, in a very bad part of town (there had been a robbery at that Target two nights before) and was very nervious fot his own safety....and because of this, he was nerviously checking his carry every 30 sec...the pistol never did leave the holster and he wasn't trying to show off.

Even though he did nothing wrong, and contrary to Cassad V State, he was also convicted, and the conviction is now on appeal. Hopefully when this is over, we will get a ruling like Cassad, but this time we will get it published so it will stand as precident.

I have OC'd for over 40 years, I have had one MWAG call on me, (I was in a grocery store) that resulted in a 2 word conversation with a Sheriff's deputy...Deputy "hunting" me "yep"...that was it...the big thing with OC is do not draw attention to yourself by acting like a Nervious Nelly....even if you are nervious. Know the law, and be confident in it.

This is my problem with OC. Even those who are used to being around guns may be nervous around a stranger with a gun. I know OC people will start up about their rights but it has more negative impact on our 2nd amendment rights than good IMHO. OCing to me, other than hunting/camping, is just "Hey look at me" attention whoring.

How could practiceing your 2nd A. right have a detrimental effect? It's PPL that demand you do not excercise your rights that have a negitive impact

This is my problem with OC. Even those who are used to being around guns may be nervous around a stranger with a gun. I know OC people will start up about their rights but it has more negative impact on our 2nd amendment rights than good IMHO. OCing to me, other than hunting/camping, is just "Hey look at me" attention whoring.

So you think all police officers are "attention whoring"? You do know that LEO's OC for a reason, so people will generally know they don't want to mess with them..They can defend themselves.

Your RV will never be searched for a weapon in WA unless there has been some actual crime committed. Traffic INFRACTIONS are not crimes.

Yep, CPL, or No CPL you're good in an RV if you are going camping (not when you use your RV to commute, but they won't look for weapons anyway...except maybe the game warden looking for loaded long guns)

And you'd be wrong. In WA it is completely legal to search your vehicle for "officer safety" even during a traffic stop. This has been to the WA Supreme court and upheld there.

I don't agree with it but it is the law.

Showes how old I am...
I used to teach Hunters Safety sponsored by one of the teachers at a middle school in Redmond, OR and I would bring guns in after school for demonstration during the classes - with the students carrying them in to the classroom. This was back when hunting was an accepted way of life for a large part of the population as opposed to what it has become now.

And you'd be wrong. In WA it is completely legal to search your vehicle for "officer safety" even during a traffic stop. This has been to the WA Supreme court and upheld there.

I don't agree with it but it is the law.

Quote the case, you have to cite it so we can read it for ourselves. I don't think you can, 'cause I do not believe one exists. Especially as I know for a FACT that they cannot randomly just stop you.

"Crime" is the key word...if there is a crime, or a reasonable suspician of a "crime", yes, they can search you and your car...no crime, no search is permissible without a warrent, and if there is no reasonable suspician of a "crime" a judge will not issue a warrent.

Again, a traffic infraction is NOT a "crime" in the legal sense.

More likely it's for unobstructed weapon deployment.

Actually, I read one CoP over in MO state it was for the "intimidation factor", and for that reason he did not like to see civilians OC. It was in a news article, can't find it again. I hold by my reason...to put those that would just like to tronce a cop that they do have the ability to defend themselves. It has also been shown that OC is quicker to deploy, but that is not the real reason IMHO...not my reason to OC either...I would rather not have to deploy my weapon. Did that enough in Vietnam.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top