JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have two Remington KS rifles and they are a couple of my favorite hunting rifles, one 7mm rem mag and one 270. The rifles are pretty much identical in color and both have Leupold scopes.
Today I was at the range with friends and shooting them both. I chambered and fired a 270 cartridge in the 7mm. I wasn't exactly sure what happened after I fired the rifle. I got a face full of debris and smelled a lot of burned powder. I got a couple of very minor cuts on my forehead that I was unaware of until I asked my friend what my face looked like. It felt like I got sprayed with high velocity sand. I thought I had a case head separation although when I opened the bolt there was nothing. I removed the bolt and could see that the barrel was obstructed. When I got home I ran a rod down the barrel and the 270 case fell out.
Lesson learned, in the future I will only have the ammo on the bench for the firearm that I am shooting. Be careful my friends.
270 mishap.JPG

What Andy said. But, it could have been a lot worse. Shooting a 7mm Weatherby in a 7mm Remington is an excellent example. Had a customer who just "HAD" to take both to the Range at the same time. Even after being told that was a BAD idea. It cost him his Right Eye and major facial damage plus a very fine Rifle. He also had the BAD habit of listening to the Gun Writers who said that the loading books were "Underloading" even the top loads. He always "Started" with a load that was 10% above the Top of the manual:eek::eek::eek: no matter how much compressing of the powder he had to do!!! A 6 pack was also part of his Range Kit. The day he lost the eye was the last day he was a customer.

Seen the same thing with a 308 and a 270. Two identical rifles, mixed up ammo. A 308 loaded to book OAL is basically the same length as a 270 shoulder. It headspaced and fired. The rifle held together and a .308 bullet squeezed down a .277 bore. Still hit the target even.

No way the round went down range in one piece. :eek:

I have some brass somewhere...One of grandma's garage sale finds... 7mm Mauser that was obviously shot through an 8mm Mauser. There were about 7-8 of them in the box. so who ever shot them must have even reloaded. A Mauser is a Mauser right? Can't imagine it was very accurate.

Not going to say anything about the "Insult to Injury" thing on the ammo mix...

Glad your fine and able to speak of the incident though...:)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top