JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
62 6"1" 200#. I now carry a colt compact 45acp condition 1. EVERY DAY! Unless I'm at work! They won't allow it. Currently I would not carry anything less! Carried everything thing from 38 to 44mag. The compact is too heavy (45oz fully loaded) and I'm looking to buy a Kimber custom carry. If it's too heavy you wont carry it!

If the weight of a Compact 1911 is an issue for you, perhaps you should consider a Glock or an M&P. They are very effective, extremely reliable tools which, while not as charming as a 1911, are arguably equally as capable (if not more so) due to capacity and reliability. I sure do love my 1911's and I'm a major 1911 fan, with a sizable investment in them, but if I expect to have to fight with a pistol, I'm more likely to select a platform with greater capacity.

Ok, small matter of semantics on "attack" vs "threat at gunpoint," which I don't doubt matters greatly to the person involved. Given a choice, I too would rather be threatened than actually attacked. It is, however, no less disconcerting to discover that there are periods on the island where no law enforcement is present. That most certainly is not being communicated to the public at large...call me crazy for thinking that type of info is rather important. Most notably it significantly increases the amount of time one should be prepared to be on their own until help arrives. As you say, "hours vs minutes." I don't like it but it's very good to know at least.

I can't help but think about the incident in Norway where that dude went on a killing rampage on an island and there was nobody there to stop him for quite some time. If I were a terrorist looking for an opportunity, an island with no police presence would likely be at the top of my list...as would a ferry with a "captive" audience and likely little to no security. I would venture to guess, however, that our little island community is infinitely better prepared than a youth camp (Norway). Out of the small circle of people I know here, there are several who would be decently equipped to deal with an attack...myself included. And that's just the folks I know. I suspect there are even more within the overall community.

It most certainly makes you think about things. For one, I will likely toss a rifle into the truck when I do plan on going off island via the ferry. I also don't typically keep a rifle ready to go at home. Shotgun, yes, but not a rifle. Think that will change as well.

My point about the at gunpoint vs attack was that the intruder was armed with a gun and so in some places on the islands that would have started a gunfight. All of us on this thread are concerned about meeting and defeating a growing threat to our homes and neighborhoods, I was not trying to denigrate you in any way. "I am on your team."

I think many people on the islands, except for the county seat of San Juan, realize the LEOs are not handy. Fortunately the volunteer FIRE/PARA folks are plentiful and good.

I do believe many people in the islands as well are blissfully ignorant and liberal "it can't happen here" mindset. The Barefoot Bandit is lucky a local didn't shoot him during his crime spree on Orcas. There are libertarians and liberals who are armed as well.

To me, I'm just increasing my insurance giving myself more coverage should something BAD happen.

Brutus Out

My carry used to be a Smith 642, and then a Bodyguard 380. Then I moved up to a series of single stack subcompact 9mm, the latest being a 9mm Shield. Then a neighbor 2 houses up the street was home during a break in. He confronted 3 juveniles with his 642 (5 shots). The kids ran, but later he told me he was shaking so bad that if they were serious, he might have hit two of them. Our area (Seattle south) is transforming from good to OK to something worse. I now carry a Gen4 G19 with a G17 mag in a holster. Seems like once a week or so I have something happen that makes me think (am I getting paranoid?) like the aggressive panhandler who gets in your face even after I'm hollering "Back away!". A guy pissed off because I won't move out of the carpool lane while holding him up at a speed I won't mention (you don't have to move right in the carpool lane, and often can't in Washington). Aggressive group of disenfranchised young adults at the bus stop. A guy screaming and making motions toward his smaller pregnant companion. And so many people seeming "on the edge" about something, whether at the checkout at Fred Meyer, waiting for a parking spot, wanting their $15/hour, whatever. Everyone is too tense.

So yes, the world is changing, and I'm changing with it. More training, more thinking, more watching. More rounds in the carry piece.

My carry used to be a Smith 642, and then a Bodyguard 380. Then I moved up to a series of single stack subcompact 9mm, the latest being a 9mm Shield. Then a neighbor 2 houses up the street was home during a break in. He confronted 3 juveniles with his 642 (5 shots). The kids ran, but later he told me he was shaking so bad that if they were serious, he might have hit two of them. Our area (Seattle south) is transforming from good to OK to something worse. I now carry a Gen4 G19 with a G17 mag in a holster. Seems like once a week or so I have something happen that makes me think (am I getting paranoid?) like the aggressive panhandler who gets in your face even after I'm hollering "Back away!". A guy pissed off because I won't move out of the carpool lane while holding him up at a speed I won't mention (you don't have to move right in the carpool lane, and often can't in Washington). Aggressive group of disenfranchised young adults at the bus stop. A guy screaming and making motions toward his smaller pregnant companion. And so many people seeming "on the edge" about something, whether at the checkout at Fred Meyer, waiting for a parking spot, wanting their $15/hour, whatever. Everyone is too tense.

So yes, the world is changing, and I'm changing with it. More training, more thinking, more watching. More rounds in the carry piece.
I feel ya Bro, That's why I got my self and family the HELL out of the greater Portland area and moved some place where I know every one around me very well, and I can see any BAD PEOPLE from way, way off and have plenty of time to get ready! Most people would have to be pretty friggin stupid to try any thing where I live now, EVERY one of my neighbors around me is armed to the teeth and have no tolerance of strangers doing strange things!

I too have changed my carry ways, formerly I carried my Kel-Tek P3at (.380 acp) but a friend made me realize I might need a more powerful & accurate gun. I now carry my Kimber Ultra Ten II (45 acp) which is very accurate and has a ten round magazine. I have also begun carrying my FN (5.7x28) in a IWB holster several times a week
That FN is no joke!!! I wish they made a nice compact or sub compact for that round! I would love that as a back up piece! Serious power in a nice package, just wish they didn't make good ammo so hard to get!

I'm not quite in the same boat as Sgt. Nambu but still couldn't keep up with any withdrawal scenario. I figure though that a rearguard action (hopefully for long enough) would be up my alley.
As for CC where do some of you keep your spare mags? So far I only have the one in my LCP with me.

I carry my XDM 45 on my right hip and two spare mags on my left. I do not worry about printing I usually wear a button-up shirt opened over the top of them it's hard to see them

I carry my XDM 45 on my right hip and two spare mags on my left. I do not worry about printing I usually wear a button-up shirt opened over the top of them it's hard to see them
LOL just did the math on that so I carry 40 rounds of 45 with me when I go out if I can't get done what needs to get done with that I am in serious trouble

Another thing, when there is a disaster, such as what hit New Orleans, where the police force took the law in their own hands and turned into Nazi storm troopers and broke into people's houses with loaded rifles pointed at them and stoled all their guns. Even the national guard was with them doing the same thing. It was WWII all over again. Believe me when I say that if you have a disaster in your area where society breaks down, you will have the same thing happen again. So hide your weapons and food and turn the lights off and don't' answer the door. The mistake people made in New Orleans was to say that they had guns. But even if they said they didn't, the storm troopers would ramsack their homes. It doesn't get any worse than that, except for them shooting you. What is shocking, is when the national guard and police were ordered by one man (chief of police or sheriff) they didn't question it or say "No, that's against the law and I'm not doing it." No, they went ahead with the program.
Watch the video on YouTube where a eighty year old lady was jumped and stomped on my three Nazi Storm Troopers. They beat the hell out of her and broke her ribs and hip. I think she got restitution, but they should have lost their jobs.

I was there from just about the beginning, right in the middle of the Lower 9th, and take exception to much of your claims, at least where the military is concerned. Granted my participation was narrow but I know of and heard of no military entering occupied houses by force.

I saw a number of very ugly things happen and the aftermath of some heinous acts while in New Orleans but all of it gang related as far as I know.

At the same time I will say that civilian law enforcement left me uneasy and very suspicious at times. That's the best description I have at the moment. I worked directly with the NOPD and found it to be very unprofessional to say the least. On top of that I quickly developed the opinion that the Federal Government has WAY too many law enforcement agencies. My opinion anyway.

I worked directly with the NOPD and found it to be very unprofessional to say the least....

I also worked with them,durring Katrina. I worked corrections at the time in north Louisiana. I rode mounted patrols throughout the city. The dome by far was the worst travesty ever. NOPD didn't care what was going on inside that building. People were assaulted some sexually and the rest were mugged inside the dome. No help was offered. Unprofessional...immoral is more what I would have called it...maybe inhumane. New Orleans was a godless city to begin with but when Katrina hit you really got to see the worst of the worst. I sit here and think to myself that if a natural disaster of that magnitude hit the north west I would arm up and consider anyone who came to me door hostile. Those animals had no respect for the grief and loss those people had been through all they wanted was what they could take by force of necessary.
Reported..156 violent crimes against a person, 42 rapes this was over the course of 6 weeks. There was a disaster relief team that came from California to assist victims taking refuge inside the dome, the left, fled for their own safety after 24 short hours.

You tell me ...how would you deal with them?

It is nice to finally see, at least in this thread, a trend away from mouse guns up to much more capable handguns.

For the last, what, decade almost... it seemed like almost everyone was in a race to get to the smallest, lightest (lowest capacity) pistol possible for carry. I can see the appeal, BUT while having one of those is certainly better than nothing, sheesh... if most of those folks really asked themselves what pistol they really would want in their hand if a small group of no-respect scumbags seriously confronted them, I'm sure it wouldn't be a pocket 380, 5-shot .38 spl., or even a pocket nine.

If one truly takes their armed defense seriously, carrying a more capable handgun is definitely a step in the right direction.

45ACPDefenseTeam.jpg

D....you couldn't be more right. Self defense is not about comfort. You are already being put in an uncomfortable situation do you really want part of your discomfort to be the weapon you have chosen to defend yourself

IIRC some of the worst illegal gun confiscation in the Katrina New Orleans mess was imported cops from places as far away as California. I'm surprised we didn't lose a few. In a WROL situation, I would assume loss of weapons = death, so shooting anyone trying to take them is the only option.

Back on original topic: In general, I believe in carrying not only full size/power when possible, but I'm seriously considering a backup piece. I no longer kid my wife about carrying LOTS of spare ammo. She's still a revolver gal (her old 4" M66 duty gun is in the safe), but usually has two S&W Centennials when we visit the wonders of "civilization." However, she bought herself a nice Kimber Pro Carry II with tritium sights. It's just a matter of training time before she trades up. Following the news, one cannot avoid realizing that being set upon by a crowd of two legged animals is definitely possible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top