JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which gun for his first CCW?

• G43X

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • G43

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Canik MC9

• S&W Shield 2.0

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Sig P320

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Taurus GX4

• PSA Dagger/G19 Clone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hellcat

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Sig P365

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Ruger LCP Max9

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
By buddy @Tweezy is new to guns is looking for his first CCW in 9mm.
Let's give him a warm and well-informed welcome and help him find his best option.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 43X, but I don't have one myself.
Is the red dot worth the juice...?🤔
I have an old G33 I love.

Recommendations are gladly accepted, and I'll start a poll to get the best models voted on.🤓

Thanks to everyone for helping him.😊
-K

IMG_7519-1024x768.jpeg.jpg
Emp ronin 4 , if you don't own appropriate glock mags already.

My first recommendation is always to fondle as many guns as possible and see what's comfortable and fits your hands best. Doesn't mater how popular it is if it feels awkward to you.

I did vote for the p320 though as it offers lots of options both in size and feel.

I know is not on the list but what about a Glock 19? G19 has little longer barrel than the 43 and 43X. Maybe I am out of touch but when I carried a XD40SC I bought some Speer Gold Dots for a short barrel rounds since the barrel was only 3".

Last Edited:
Out of the list I've carried the 43 and the GX4. I like them both and both are god options. Slight plus to the Taurus for price but slight plus to the Glock for being a Glock.

Based on your list, I cast my vote for the P320 (see edit update). The fact that the platform is modular is a definite plus. I don't own one but do have the P365 and it's the same idea. Nice that the serialized FCU can simply be removed via single pin and everything else can simply be sent to your house (at least for now).

Your list is missing what I think are the 2 most popular CCW options, the P365 and Hellcat (shot both and I found them very similar - same internet peoples claim the P365 is slightly softer shooting).

Edit 3/18: Since the list was updated to include the P365, I changed my vote to it.

Last Edited:
Out of the listed options I would say 43X.

Ideally I would go with a Glock G45 or a G17.

Had to vote 43X, but would add "MOS" version - or any of the other choices with an optic plate. For me the red dot option is worth it as my eyes have a hard time with the short sight radius.

Had to vote 43X, but would add "MOS" version - or any of the other choices with an optic plate. For me the red dot option is worth it as my eyes have a hard time with the short sight radius.
Yup. Just picked up a brand new Glock 43X MOS today for 399.00. It won't be my main carry gun but it's nice to have when wearing formal clothes or when it's super hot outside.

By buddy @Tweezy is new to guns is looking for his first CCW in 9mm.
Let's give him a warm and well-informed welcome and help him find his best option.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 43X, but I don't have one myself.
Is the red dot worth the juice...?🤔
I have an old G33 I love.

Recommendations are gladly accepted, and I'll start a poll to get the best models voted on.🤓

Thanks to everyone for helping him.😊
-K
I would say don't get a red dot unless he is committed to practicing presentation with it enough so that when he draws there is a dot in the window 100% of the time. If he does that then there are a ton of benefits to the dot. Practicing presentation does not have to be live fire.

I second what joe 13 said it's really hard to say for someone else. They need to try the guns ideally.

I would suggest starting with expected carry method and location and how averse to printing he is and then go from there to the specific gun. The length of the grip is a critical component to whether it shows or not in his preferred carry method. Other factors like thickness may not be a big deal for some but a huge deals for others depending on how/where they carry and how much they care or not care about printing (and comfort).

Last Edited:
I would say get several. Make sure one is very small, such as the G43 so he can get used to the concept of carrying without worrying about printing as much. Training wheels if you will.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top