JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I started carrying about 20 years ago. In the beginning I did not carry every day but as I got older it became more frequent and now I just will not leave the house without one. I am finding however that is not the only thing that has changed. In my youth I carried what I considered to be compact light comfortable and easily concealed. Now that I am in my forties I carry what I consider to be combat handguns only. Full-size high-capacity large caliber for example now everyday I carry an XDM 45 with 13 round mag and One in the Chamber or Sig 226 same way. I was curious if I am the only one that has changed over the course of the last few years. The climate that we live in the society that moves around us has changed significantly over the last few years can I feel I am not the only one that has noticed this. And this is why I now carry what I carry so I guess my question is who else has done this?

Well, back in the day I carried full sized combat pistols! Aged a bit more and went for .380's in a more convenient size!
Now I'm older and have some physical issues, so I'm carrying 9mm's with polymer frames, or still, a .380 for deep or hot summer carry! I'm pretty happy with the mini 9 and two spare eight round magazines, but if I'm not liking the stuff going on in the areas I frequent, I have a full sized, aluminum framed, high capacity 9mm, a mid sized 9mm or a polymer framed Sig .45 all holstered up and ready to go. I love 1911's but polymer frames are heaven sent for a bad back!

As I got more comfortable realizing no one is staring at my butt or waist. I realized I could carry larger pistols without much worry. As well as carry them in OWB holsters which are way more comfy.

I'm not quite there yet, rounding 30. So I would not say it's age. Might be. Maybe comfort? That's my thought.

You are not alone in this thought process, Not by a long shot! I used to carry a .44 mag Dan Wesson revolver because I was in Large Predator country and My PPK was my every day piece, for the same reasons. Around the mid 2000's I re evaluated my Personal defense system and came to the stark conclusion that I needed "More Gun" then what I was then using. I have always been a fan of the 10 MM loading ( as originally intended by the good Col Cooper) but my options were limited to Glock and so that's what I switched to, A G20. I have also been a fan of the 1911 from day one, and when I started building them I discovered the STI Double stacks, It was a match made in Heaven. Now I carry a STI 10 mm high cap as my daily CCW piece and my PPK 9 MM conversion is still my back up in a boot rig. Now I feel I have enough gun and enough power to meet any threat head on, and it can buy me time to get to my rifle! Not that I don't like the Glock, I just like the 1911's added safety's and the look is far more serious, and they just feel right in my hands! I know several people, Both men and Women that are changing to this way of thinking, My Wife carries a Taurus 24/7 in .45 or she carries a S/W Shield when she needs to be concerned about printing.

I don't think our age has any thing to do with this, or our wisdom, I think its the stark realization that the world has changed in a profound way and the threats we are used to have changed to something far more sinister. For the first time in American history we face a very real evil threat that we cannot control or over come. Some one here on this forum said it best, these Soulless, Godless Animals that now threaten us are the "Perfect Weapons of Mass Destruction! They cannot be detected, cannot be avoided, and cannot be stopped before they act! Deep down inside, I think many of us have come to this conclusion and we have made the choice to do something for our selves and out families to protect our selves as best we might.

The mantra I've embraced lately is "get fit, get armed, get trained." We are facing a perfect storm of elements wishing to tear down not just the United States, but Western Civilization and the principles of Liberty. My fear is Balkanization and widespread violence; I hope I'm wrong but the lessons of history and current events don't seem to lead down any other path.

I agree unfortunately what I see is Civil War in these United States once again I think it will be, social,economic, religious, and racial separation that will tear us apart from the inside out. At that point the only people we can count on will be ourselves.

Listen guys and gals I don't consider myself to be a prepper I'm not a survivalist I'm a realist and I don't want anyone reading my post and thinking oh it's that guy. I love my country would fight again and die for my country if need be but I can't stand to watch the news and see what this country has turned into. There Are Places in this country where anyone of us would not want to walk in after Dark. This fact is absolutely ridiculous we should never be afraid to walk anywhere in this country for fear of getting mugged shot stabbed raped murdered disemboweled beheaded excetera excetera. And the people doing this are our neighbors. This isn't even counting the amount of domestic terrorists and foreign terrorists that are in this country right now planning plotting scheming to do whatever it is they're going to do. No I won't go looking for trouble but I will not not walk someplace where I live. I think it is high time that things start changing that honest law-abiding citizen start arming themselves in droves and let's push back that the people that are ruining our homes our neighborhoods our towns.

Ok off of soapbox now:rolleyes:

I think you've hit on something here. Hadn't really thought about it but through the years, I too have shifted from one caliber/size to another...

I've carried for more than 20 years, in the beginning I felt safe and secure carrying a 2" .38... I was still an optimistic fellow in my 30's... That was a long time ago...

Around 2000 or so, I decided a G19 would better suit my needs, as my perception of the world had changed, seemed more threatening... Being in my 40's, I felt there was just more violent acts being committed against innocent people... I had a greater awareness, if you will...

Then about 4 years ago, decided I felt more secure and confident with something a little larger. Now in my 50's, I see more of the worlds wickedness... Much more sensitive and aware of my surroundings now... And accordingly have decided that .45 is my preferred caliber for self protection...

You'll typically find me carrying a 1911 in condition one. Or a smaller poly framed semiauto if more discreet carry is required... Who knows what the next evolution will be... Perhaps a S&W 44 Magnum, Dirty Harry style???

Islam is a sham, bent on converting all the world by the word or by the sword! They have been at war non stop sence the beginnings of recorded history. The only way to defeat this threat is to destroy it completely! I am seeing that many of us have come to see the truth in this and the real fight will be here real soon, and it is a fight to the death!!!

Islam is a sham, bent on converting all the world by the word or by the sword! They have been at war non stop sence the beginnings of recorded history. The only way to defeat this threat is to destroy it completely! I am seeing that many of us have come to see the truth in this and the real fight will be here real soon, and it is a fight to the death!!!
In agreement here, the fight will come to our streets, our cities, our towns... It'll come down to destroy or be destroyed...

We have a responsibility, to our families, to our children, to ensure that good overcomes, defeats, and destroys evil.

I just question if the western world has the spine or stomach to do what will be necessary to thwart this latest repeat of history...

Honestly, I think most will not have the fortitude to do what needs to be done...

And to quote one of my favorite movies. Mark my words this war will not be found on some Frontier or distant Battlefield but amongst us among our homes our children will learn about it with their own eyes and the innocent will die with the rest of us

Listen guys and gals I don't consider myself to be a prepper I'm not a survivalist I'm a realist and I don't want anyone reading my post and thinking oh it's that guy. I love my country would fight again and die for my country if need be but I can't stand to watch the news and see what this country has turned into. There Are Places in this country where anyone of us would not want to walk in after Dark. This fact is absolutely ridiculous we should never be afraid to walk anywhere in this country for fear of getting mugged shot stabbed raped murdered disemboweled beheaded excetera excetera. And the people doing this are our neighbors. This isn't even counting the amount of domestic terrorists and foreign terrorists that are in this country right now planning plotting scheming to do whatever it is they're going to do. No I won't go looking for trouble but I will not not walk someplace where I live. I think it is high time that things start changing that honest law-abiding citizen start arming themselves in droves and let's push back that the people that are ruining our homes our neighborhoods our towns.

Ok off of soapbox now:rolleyes:
It's not a soap box or a rant, its truth, and some times it needs to be shouted loud and clear!

I think that a lot of us do have the backbone to do what needs to be done we just need a spark one little spark to wake us all up. This will not be a million man army marching against another this will be small bands of us together fighting in our towns for our towns

I think it will take time, but I think these evil deeds will unite us, at least the U.S. into a formidable force that will rise up and do what must be done! Unfortunately history must replete itself, and many will die before good things happen!

What scares me the most is if this does happen and we are in such disarray fighting amongst ourselves law enforcement and our domestic military will also be at odds with their own beliefs. That would make us ripe for the picking for whatever foreign body decides they want a piece of us I know at that point we would come back together but would it be too little too late

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top