JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I may carry my xdm45 and I trust it and my ability to effectively hit a target but at home the 12 gauge is what I go to in the event of random stupidity

I moved from a NAA 22 Mag, to 38, to 9, to 45 XDS, and now a XD 45 SC Mod 2. I have carried my G-29, but did not love the IWB option. Out of the home turf, I pocket carry the XD 45 and a 13 round spare magazine. I have a Ruger LCP Custom with spare mag as BUG. In the home I have also changed from a .22 Mag , 7 shot J frame, to a 380, and now a LC9s Pro with a set of 7 and 9 round spares.
I have three shotguns, but am not a fan of them. I never knew how much I really liked AR's until I bought one.

Last Edited:
Reading through the posts and there's a "too big/too heavy" theme. Really? I used to feel that way too, preferred carrying a Commander, just too darn heavy... Or so I thought...

The solution to the problem was to have proper supporting equipment. Finally invested in a high quality holster and belt, now the Commander doesn't feel quite so heavy...

I'm 5' 10" and 180, not exactly a bean pole nor a heavy weight... I'd classify myself as average build with a little beer influence, shall we say.

I use a Milt Sparks Nexus for the commander and a good stiff belt, that has helped it disappear and spread the weight around enough that it's not uncomfortable to carry.

Before you give up on a more potent caliber sidearm, analyse your current supporting equipment, honestly, perhaps you too could benefit from an upgrade...

YMMV

Milt sparks holsters very comfortable, good belt required also. Used to carry a Comander length custom 1991a1 stainless with every Wilson Combat option available at the time including carbon fiber grips all day long with a good holster/belt combo. Budget 30% of the guns cost for a holster us ally when I buy a new sidearm. From my experience of people I know/meet/worked with who have shot themselves a cheap holster was a factor in the accident. And in two events it was the reason, exposed trigger in one and leather folding into the trigger in the other.
Today I like quality Kydex from JM custom, Raven and Blade tech. Belt is a Liger belt which is over ten years old but still looks new and over the years been dependable. I have personally watched people spend over a grand on a pistol and buy a $20 holster to put it in.

Uncle Mike here,
Kind of new to the site, so I don't have a slick pic or logo to put up. I usually like reading these threads and posts, but today I feel like I can chime in on the subject.
Have a Springfield GI 1911, lately a SIG P227, and very recently acquired a pristine, in the box Star PD .45. The first thing I do is get enough magazines to feed them, and some good leather to carry them.
Like the ranger said when someone asked him, " why do you carry a .45 " ? " Because they don't make a .46 ".

I've been carrying a SIG P229 in .40 for over 20 years, but within the last couple of years I decided that it's going to be all the time (when I'm not at work). About a year ago Springfield Armory came out with their upgraded Mod.2 series, and I fell in love with a .40 version (9+1) that's become my every-day carry. Amazingly, I shoot better with it than with a SIG P226 in 9mm! (took 'em both out last weekend and compared).

That said, if things go seriously sideways it'll be my SIG Sauer Legion Series P229 in .40 IWB, but for comfort - and surprising accuracy - I love that lil' Springfield!

Incidentally, I used Milt Sparks IWB holsters for many years, but I've recently switched to Alien Gear - the comfort level is amazing :)

I usually always have Ted Blocker make something up for me! Some times it's because I carry a different size/type then the norm, others it's for a unique fit requirement or a retention method! I found years ago that it didn't really matter how big and heavy the side arm was, if I had a good fitting holster that had all the supporting equipment and retention, I would have no problems at all. My custom boot rig for my PPK was made there and both my drop leg AND shoulder rigs for my STI were made by Ted Blocker! I have yet to find the exact set up for a good belt holster ( IWB/OWB) but when I figure out which way I want to go, I will stop by and have them make a rig for me! A fighting gun is no good if you cant carry it, cant get to it, and cant keep it from falling out! I have a buddy that carries a Desert Eagle in a shoulder rig, Too big and nasty for me, but that's his choice and he is comfortable with his set up. He has carried that canon for close to 20 years and has the same rig he started out with!

Listen guys and gals I don't consider myself to be a prepper I'm not a survivalist I'm a realist and I don't want anyone reading my post and thinking oh it's that guy. I love my country would fight again and die for my country if need be but I can't stand to watch the news and see what this country has turned into. There Are Places in this country where anyone of us would not want to walk in after Dark. This fact is absolutely ridiculous we should never be afraid to walk anywhere in this country for fear of getting mugged shot stabbed raped murdered disemboweled beheaded excetera excetera. And the people doing this are our neighbors. This isn't even counting the amount of domestic terrorists and foreign terrorists that are in this country right now planning plotting scheming to do whatever it is they're going to do. No I won't go looking for trouble but I will not not walk someplace where I live. I think it is high time that things start changing that honest law-abiding citizen start arming themselves in droves and let's push back that the people that are ruining our homes our neighborhoods our towns.

Ok off of soapbox now:rolleyes:
I agree unfortunately what I see is Civil War in these United States once again I think it will be, social,economic, religious, and racial separation that will tear us apart from the inside out. At that point the only people we can count on will be ourselves.

Oh so very sad that I have to do very strongly agree with all you said. I think you are correct about what is next. Civil war sounds so far fetched but..........may go to police state first but whatever it is, I am so sorry for my kids and my grandkids. So like you, I carry almost 24/7 and not just the millennium 45 at my side and ruger LCM 9 with laser, but now a permanent part of my Grand Cherokee is my AK-47 with two 20 round mags attached. Will RUN from any and all confrontation until it çonfronts or threatens the life of my family or friends. We have sunk to a new low as a Godless nation that thumbs it's nose at the God that made us the greatest nation in the history of mankind.
After all of this I'm just tempted to start carrying my AK-47 around with me:Dlol...

Oh so very sad that I have to do very strongly agree with all you said. I think you are correct about what is next. Civil war sounds so far fetched but..........may go to police state first but whatever it is, I am so sorry for my kids and my grandkids. So like you, I carry almost 24/7 and not just the millennium 45 at my side and ruger LCM 9 with laser, but now a permanent part of my Grand Cherokee is my AK-47 with two 20 round mags attached. Will RUN from any and all confrontation until it çonfronts or threatens the life of my family or friends. We have sunk to a new low as a Godless nation that thumbs it's nose at the God that made us the greatest nation in the history of mankind.

First off I would to thank you all of you for the responses.
I have seen alot of similarity and a little different.

The point that keeps ringing out at me is the amount of ammo that is being carried. I myself realized that I carry 40 rnds with me during this little fact finding. I think at the end of the day most of you are competent marksmen that know your weapons. That being said I have to surmise that we are not worried about the one idiot that wants suicide by stupidity. We all seem to be thinking of having to engage multiple targets in whatever scenario is playing out in our heads. That is a scary thought, that many of us are thinking, feeling, and planning on the same things.
I have to say that I have done this with my family and reccomend the advice to you. Sit down and plan. Plan a meeting place should you get separated from your "other" in the event of some sort of disaster or attack. Have a central destination for you both to meet. At least at that point of you cannot get to each other you know where the other will be waiting. Throw some bottled water in the trunk and replace it every three months or so to keep a fresh supply. A small survival kit never goes astray either! Again I do not consider myself a prepper or "that guy" but being a little prepared goes a long way.

Nothing like being stuck somewhere and saying to yourself...Damn I wish I had grabbed one of those and left it in the truck!

The Boy Scouts got it right a very long time ago... "Be Prepared".
Yep :)

BePrepared.jpg

Lmao...hadn't thought of that but oh so true.
Don't forget they all have to use the same restroom now and we can no longer do background checks on the troop leaders because they may become offended if we find out they are a three time child sex,offender

Damn :rolleyes:am I the only one this jaded? Am I the only one who hates the society we live in? Am I the only one who wants to move out to the middle of nowhere Alaska to raise my family safely. Were the only problem you face is a bear attack and that one I can handle

It's funny when you think about how much ammo we are now carrying these days. I would never have carried more then one extra 7 round mag, and then it was "Just in case" Now one pistol has 17+1 and I have 4 extras. Add in the back up with 7+1 and a second of 7 and the count is up pretty good! if you really want to get serious, there is Always a full size rifle close at hand with a 20 round mag, and 12 loaded mags to go with it! Damn that's a lot of ammo for this new world we live in! I also don't see any judging any of us as preppers, rather as very concerned people who have found just cause to live as we choose to now!

I've been feeling the same lately,been carrying a Ruger SR9c and a LCP,but I'm feeling like I need to carry a full size SR9(yet to buy) and the SR9c as a backup,because this world seems to getting worse especially with all the Islamic/Muslim terrorism recently.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top