JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wish that was the case, but as a few others have posted you're never immune to a civil suit and the facts as we know them don't matter, it's all up to how they paint you to a jury.

I once read about a burgler in the UK who cut themselves while breaking into someone's home and successfully sued the homeowner and won for injuries they sustained. We aren't there yet, but the direction isn't comforting..

If I accidentally shoot someone I've got more problems than my aftermarket trigger..
I don't agree with this line of thought at all. Do u go shooting at the range or train with the gun? Then the attorney can say you practice killing poeple. Did u use hollow points? Then the attorney can say you used "killer bullets". Do u have better sights than original? Again he can say it's so you can kill poeple. Are you knowledgeable about guns? And on and on. Having a better trigger in your gun is not evidence u are a psycho out to kill someone. In contrast, something like past criminal history may be. And if you had aggressive "prime the pump" actions in the encounter than that definitely could be used against you.

While it's true that an attorney can use everything he can to try to convict you, we saw how bs can easily be exposed as such in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial.

The court/jury is going to look at all the evidence such as past history etc and a modified trigger by itself means very little. The situation itself is going to be the biggest factor. Fe example did you try to get the person to stop the attack by saying "stop, get back" (hopefully overheard by others ideally), did you do any de-escalating or passive type behavior such as walking backwards or whatever? Were you the aggressor or did you try to stop the aggressor?

If u are talking about someone injured/killed via ND then the trigger might be a more important factor but I see no need to have to use a bone stock gun, never practice, not use effective bullets, etc out of fear that may be used against you. If u have a good trigger, good ammo, and practice you are more likely to come out of the situation alive. And if you are alive you can then worry about the numerous BS tactics an attorney for your oppponent may employ.

This is concerning... Where you live, do you have to have individual firearms listed on a permit in order to legally carry them? o_Oo_Oo_O
Unfortunately I am just south of the Oregon border but firmly in the red. Rural, farming and logging area.

All guns on permit must be listed and we now must qualify every two years with them. When I originally got my permit we could qualify with any gun and never had to requalify. That changed four years ago. Twenty rounds through each gun to qualify with 16 hits in the nine zone on a b27 from 25 feet ......easy peazy.

Unfortunately I am just south of the Oregon border but firmly in the red. Rural, farming and logging area.

All guns on permit must be listed and we now must qualify every two years with them. When I originally got my permit we could qualify with any gun and never had to requalify. That changed four years ago. Twenty rounds through each gun to qualify with 16 hits in the nine zone on a b27 from 25 feet ......easy peazy.
Wow, the PRK is worse than I thought. I never knew what you just told me. I'm sorry for you.
So, one must pass a test to in order to exercise a right. Interesting...
I guess it had to figure that it was the PRK...
Thank you, and I'm sorry, and God bless you, sir.

I didn't post this in the legal section, I chose the carry section because I'm curious how many others have a slightly modified weapon for their daily and have thoughts on legal risks and upcoming gun law changes.

Currently, my daily is a Glock 19 that I spent some time working on. Upgraded barrel, optics-ready slide, stipled grip, ZEV trigger and bar etc. I used to use my USPc .45 for carry, but it was a bit too chunky and I wasn't taking it to the range as much, so it got a streamlight and spot in the bedside safe. I had the glock for years in the safe as a backup weapon, the trigger was somewhat gritty and it just 'didn't do it for me', so it gathered dust. Until, that is, I handled a stipled frame and suddenly loved the grip I thought I hated. So that naturally led to going down the modification path and now I genuinely look forward to range time with it, it's the most accurate gun that I own for me, and having 15+1 is really nice.

That said, here is where I am at a crossroads:

1) I didn't touch the trigger springs, just the trigger itself and trigger bar (I love the flat face of the ZEV and it's not gritty anymore), but I've been told this could still be presented to a jury in a trial as being a 'modified trigger' and could potentially cause some serious legal problems. In a clean, justified SD scenario I wouldn't be worried, but it's the possibility of a civil suit by the perp's family etc that could get ugly if they tried to say the weapon was made easier to kill etc.

2) Maybe this is an overblown fear, but when the new high-cap mag ban goes into effect in July in WA, does anyone worry about the same thing as above? I.e. even if you legally owned it prior to the ban, some idiot prosecutor decides to make a big point about you having a "high capacity magazine, which are now illegal by the way" etc. And who's to say they won't modify this law again banning them completely...

I love the .45 cartridge and shoot well with it, when I carried my USP it was always in condition 1, the DA trigger mode is just too long, but again it was a bit bulky for me. So, I'm thinking about switching over to a 1911, but that of course isn't cheap as I wouldn't want an entry level one... I've always loved how they feel, and despite being heavier they are thinner, and I'd rather have more weight but less discomfort moving around.

Curious to know everyone's thoughts on this! Is this thread an excuse to tell my wife I need a 1911? I can't rule that out ;)
My life comes first...the day I'm more concerned about what the public thinks about my firearm, than my own protection, I'll stop carrying.

I didn't post this in the legal section, I chose the carry section because I'm curious how many others have a slightly modified weapon for their daily and have thoughts on legal risks and upcoming gun law changes.
Hi GinDistiller, nice post.
For over 20 years I've carried to my front and back-door, the garbage can, the mailbox - everywhere - without incident. At all times I clear corners upon entrance and upon exit. A little like checking my zipper.
On legal risks - Only the providence GOD knows the mind and heart of a DA. So, I prefer to risk being judged by 12 than certainly carried by six.
Regarding weapon choice - Shot placement is vital. Anything carried and applied with expertise (.22 anyone?) is better then good intentions left in the drawer.
Alertness, common sense, mental acuity, and resolve are the most valuable assets I have.
Live long and prosper as your soul prospers.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews