JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I currently live in a very small community out side of a smallish town. We are at least a half hour from town and at least that far away from any LEO. The Sheriff and 4 deputies are on a sort of rotating shift sort of arrangement so at best you may get two to respond in that amount of time! Other emergency services are even further away, but that's in the Big City with lots of emergency responders and such! My neighbors and I have each others contact info and are usually helping each other out on various projects so we are Real Neighborly! But, that means we are our own first line of defense, and we are also each others first responders in case something happens to one of us! Right now, I have 2 1/2 feet of snow and the dirt roads are packed snow/ice which slows us down and makes a run to town about an hour by 4X4. By Snow Cat, I can cut that time to about the normal 1/2 hour but if I need to go to the big city, the Cat is no good!

I am a Fat Old Man living in a reasonably peaceful suburban area. Agree I'd rather have a high capacity 10 mm or .357 SIG, but there is just no way I can carry one concealed without a complete change of wardrobe. And no, I 'm not going to do that. I carry a .38 snubbie which I hope will deter those who expect me to be an easy mark. Right or wrong I don't have a way to carry a hi-cap combat machine concealed.
I do stay out of bad areas. I ignore OnStar or whatever & plot my own trips avoiding city centers.

One point, I'm an OFWG, and it seems to me it's easier for you thinner guys to carry unobtrusively with a long loose shirt or long jacket. I vary from .380 to 9mil to .40, and the full size .40 has to go shoulder holster it's just too bulky for waistband carry. YMMV

Oh, BTW, I like to keep my options open caliber wise, a .357 or two and a 10mm are on my christmas list. I want to be able to use whatever I can glean if the SHTF and the body count gets high.

I started carrying about 20 years ago. In the beginning I did not carry every day but as I got older it became more frequent and now I just will not leave the house without one. I am finding however that is not the only thing that has changed. In my youth I carried what I considered to be compact light comfortable and easily concealed. Now that I am in my forties I carry what I consider to be combat handguns only. Full-size high-capacity large caliber for example now everyday I carry an XDM 45 with 13 round mag and One in the Chamber or Sig 226 same way. I was curious if I am the only one that has changed over the course of the last few years. The climate that we live in the society that moves around us has changed significantly over the last few years can I feel I am not the only one that has noticed this. And this is why I now carry what I carry so I guess my question is who else has done this?
You're lucky, because to carry big handguns of high caliber, you must be a good sized man. I'm 5'2" and slim. I have to balance the gun weight and caliber. I used to carry NAA .22 mag revolver, very small. I now carry a couple of steps up, a Ruger LCP .380. I love it, I hook it on my belt with a metal clip that's made for it and I don't feel it on me, except when I sit down in the car and then it presses against my side. Sometimes I carry it in my pocket and I never know it's there. But it's a slower draw that way.
You're lucky to be able to carry a canon. More power to you. And yes, the climate has changed. We are fighting for the right to carry weapons, per constitution. So you better hope we don't get Hillary as president. She "will" attempt to strip all citizens of guns--except of course, police, military and "criminals." Just because a person has a high IQ, it doesn't make them smart.Trouble is, if we use our guns for defense, we have to be able to justify it.
Keep carrying and join the NRA

Another thing, when there is a disaster, such as what hit New Orleans, where the police force took the law in their own hands and turned into Nazi storm troopers and broke into people's houses with loaded rifles pointed at them and stoled all their guns. Even the national guard was with them doing the same thing. It was WWII all over again. Believe me when I say that if you have a disaster in your area where society breaks down, you will have the same thing happen again. So hide your weapons and food and turn the lights off and don't' answer the door. The mistake people made in New Orleans was to say that they had guns. But even if they said they didn't, the storm troopers would ramsack their homes. It doesn't get any worse than that, except for them shooting you. What is shocking, is when the national guard and police were ordered by one man (chief of police or sheriff) they didn't question it or say "No, that's against the law and I'm not doing it." No, they went ahead with the program.
Watch the video on YouTube where a eighty year old lady was jumped and stomped on my three Nazi Storm Troopers. They beat the hell out of her and broke her ribs and hip. I think she got restitution, but they should have lost their jobs.

A very wise friend once said: "instead of carrying a smaller gun to fit your lifestyle; adapt your lifestyle to carry the gun you need to save your life."

My business partner while traveling in a small rural community was stopped by a citizen who said a deputy is involved with an armed man and shots are being fire at the corner store/gas station. My partner, off-duty law enforcement, immediately dismounted and grabbed a long gun he had secured in his personal vehicle. He immediately did a rapid advancement to the 4/1 corner of the store to support the deputy.

He told me shortly afterwards that all he could think of is his back up was a G27. While he is extremely competent with it he said it was a regret and it did impact his mental mindset during the shooting. He's carried a G34 ever since. Something to ponder.

I started carrying about 20 years ago. In the beginning I did not carry every day but as I got older it became more frequent and now I just will not leave the house without one. I am finding however that is not the only thing that has changed. In my youth I carried what I considered to be compact light comfortable and easily concealed. Now that I am in my forties I carry what I consider to be combat handguns only. Full-size high-capacity large caliber for example now everyday I carry an XDM 45 with 13 round mag and One in the Chamber or Sig 226 same way. I was curious if I am the only one that has changed over the course of the last few years. The climate that we live in the society that moves around us has changed significantly over the last few years can I feel I am not the only one that has noticed this. And this is why I now carry what I carry so I guess my question is who else has done this?

I too have changed my carry ways, formerly I carried my Kel-Tek P3at (.380 acp) but a friend made me realize I might need a more powerful & accurate gun. I now carry my Kimber Ultra Ten II (45 acp) which is very accurate and has a ten round magazine. I have also begun carrying my FN (5.7x28) in a IWB holster several times a week

M&M M10 7.62...outstanding version of old reliable.
I feel the same it is a sad time in which we live and now I feel I need the most fire power and a lot of AMMO when we leave our house ... You just never know theses day what is out there!! My carry is a Springfield mod2 .45 cap with 13 and one in the pipe and 2 extra mags...

I hate to say this but I'm on the opposite end. I used to carry larger, more powerful calibers. But over the years, I've turned to a much lighter weapon. I now carry daily my KelTec PMR30. it is definitely a full sized gun, however, it is the lightest weight I've ever carried. My old 9mm with 7+1 weighed more than my PMR with 2 magazines. In case you don't know, each magazine holds 30 22mg rounds. Now I know that most don't believe in a 22 mag, however it appears only LE understands it's danger. Plus I am loaded with personal protection rounds for short barrels. So, my PMR with 30+1 is what I carry. I rarely carry a second magazine. In a real fight, I can put a lot of ammo down range if needed without changing mags. It will put down anything I need to put down.

The incident you are talking about was not an "attack" it was a threat "AT GUNPOINT" by a masked gunman. It was personal in nature over a job that went to someone the gunman didn't like. True, there were no sheriff deputies on the island. The islands are pretty low key and pretty low crime rate, but I know folks who carry on the islands, daily. I never leave my home with out it even on the islands and especially when I get on a ferry. You are right, while I am sure the deputies are capable of good law enforcement, their just aren't many of them, and some commute from other islands. So yeah, they'll arrive in hours, not minutes. Also remember Colton Harris Moore evaded all of the above LEOS for months on Orcas and other San Juan Islands.

Brutus Out

Ok, small matter of semantics on "attack" vs "threat at gunpoint," which I don't doubt matters greatly to the person involved. Given a choice, I too would rather be threatened than actually attacked. It is, however, no less disconcerting to discover that there are periods on the island where no law enforcement is present. That most certainly is not being communicated to the public at large...call me crazy for thinking that type of info is rather important. Most notably it significantly increases the amount of time one should be prepared to be on their own until help arrives. As you say, "hours vs minutes." I don't like it but it's very good to know at least.

I can't help but think about the incident in Norway where that dude went on a killing rampage on an island and there was nobody there to stop him for quite some time. If I were a terrorist looking for an opportunity, an island with no police presence would likely be at the top of my list...as would a ferry with a "captive" audience and likely little to no security. I would venture to guess, however, that our little island community is infinitely better prepared than a youth camp (Norway). Out of the small circle of people I know here, there are several who would be decently equipped to deal with an attack...myself included. And that's just the folks I know. I suspect there are even more within the overall community.

It most certainly makes you think about things. For one, I will likely toss a rifle into the truck when I do plan on going off island via the ferry. I also don't typically keep a rifle ready to go at home. Shotgun, yes, but not a rifle. Think that will change as well.

62 6"1" 200#. I now carry a colt compact 45acp condition 1. EVERY DAY! Unless I'm at work! They won't allow it. Currently I would not carry anything less! Carried everything thing from 38 to 44mag. The compact is too heavy (45oz fully loaded) and I'm looking to buy a Kimber custom carry. If it's too heavy you wont carry it!

Not really all that different.

I started carrying back in 1969 with a Colt Detective Special 2", and now carry a S&W 638 Alloy in .38+P.
Duty guns have changed slightly, from a 4" Python .357 in the '70's to a Glock G-21 .45+P.

Wish I still had that Colt, my mom gave it to me.

62 6"1" 200#. I now carry a colt compact 45acp condition 1. EVERY DAY! Unless I'm at work! They won't allow it. Currently I would not carry anything less! Carried everything thing from 38 to 44mag. The compact is too heavy (45oz fully loaded) and I'm looking to buy a Kimber custom carry. If it's too heavy you wont carry it!
I have the Colt New Detective and its identical to the Kimber custom carry II compact! I hardly know I have it on! These usually come in around 35 oz depending on the loading!

If CC is legal for an individual and the possibility of a little printing on occasion is no problem, I think most people can carry a full size piece with little problem. Sometimes people are too paranoid about printing when in many situations (perhaps not at work!) a bit of printing is no problemo.

I wear a t-shirt (Duluth; awesome quality t's) and shorts almost every day and if I'm in the mood to carry a G21SF, it's no problemo under the Duluth.

I would recommend to anyone who carries to carry the pistol you would prefer to have in your hand should the day become your darkest day, not the pistol which is smallest, lightest, and least capable.

Carrying an adequate sized fighting pistol is much easier than many people think it is. Unless you're wearing a tailored suit at your place of work, chances are you can find a way to carry a full-sized pistol without much trouble at all.

And remember, both caliber AND capacity may well be extremely important. In shoot out situations (where you will be moving and working as hard to not be shot, as to shoot!), misses far outnumber effective hits (70% of rounds launched do not hit the target as desired), even among trained law enforcement officers.

Capacity is very important because out of 10 shots that you fire, you may only land three rounds close to where you want them to land. And those three rounds may not immediately stop the threat.

Out of 8 shots fired, perhaps just two will land close to where you want them to land. And even if those two land where you want them to land, now your pistol is empty and the threat may very well be still firing at you.

P1010679.jpg P1010683.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews