JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didn't post this in the legal section, I chose the carry section because I'm curious how many others have a slightly modified weapon for their daily and have thoughts on legal risks and upcoming gun law changes.

Currently, my daily is a Glock 19 that I spent some time working on. Upgraded barrel, optics-ready slide, stipled grip, ZEV trigger and bar etc. I used to use my USPc .45 for carry, but it was a bit too chunky and I wasn't taking it to the range as much, so it got a streamlight and spot in the bedside safe. I had the glock for years in the safe as a backup weapon, the trigger was somewhat gritty and it just 'didn't do it for me', so it gathered dust. Until, that is, I handled a stipled frame and suddenly loved the grip I thought I hated. So that naturally led to going down the modification path and now I genuinely look forward to range time with it, it's the most accurate gun that I own for me, and having 15+1 is really nice.

That said, here is where I am at a crossroads:

1) I didn't touch the trigger springs, just the trigger itself and trigger bar (I love the flat face of the ZEV and it's not gritty anymore), but I've been told this could still be presented to a jury in a trial as being a 'modified trigger' and could potentially cause some serious legal problems. In a clean, justified SD scenario I wouldn't be worried, but it's the possibility of a civil suit by the perp's family etc that could get ugly if they tried to say the weapon was made easier to kill etc.

2) Maybe this is an overblown fear, but when the new high-cap mag ban goes into effect in July in WA, does anyone worry about the same thing as above? I.e. even if you legally owned it prior to the ban, some idiot prosecutor decides to make a big point about you having a "high capacity magazine, which are now illegal by the way" etc. And who's to say they won't modify this law again banning them completely...

I love the .45 cartridge and shoot well with it, when I carried my USP it was always in condition 1, the DA trigger mode is just too long, but again it was a bit bulky for me. So, I'm thinking about switching over to a 1911, but that of course isn't cheap as I wouldn't want an entry level one... I've always loved how they feel, and despite being heavier they are thinner, and I'd rather have more weight but less discomfort moving around.

Curious to know everyone's thoughts on this! Is this thread an excuse to tell my wife I need a 1911? I can't rule that out ;)

The prosecutor says that the defendant used a "modified pistol".
Yeah, the jury heard "MODIFIED PISTOL".

Unfortunately "modified pistol" usually has people thinking......oh, that "hair trigger" is just soooooo deadly.

Yup......sometimes people can go brain dead (or just stop listening) at the mere mention of certain "buzz words".

Assault Weapon
Weapon of War
Black Rifle..... meant to kill many people because it's semi-automatic.
Hi capacity magazine, no need to re-load
Etc, etc.....

BUT, But, but.......REALLY? Should you/Do you care if the shooting is justified/righteous?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I carry a G45 stock with aftermarket iron sights and a surefire x300. 17+1 in the gun and another 17 round mag in my pocket. Nothing is going to change for me. Laws don't dictate my right to self defense/or the defense of the ones I love.

As far as carry guns go the only thing I change are irons, possibly a red dot, and always a weapon light.

The new does not affect me with with my everyday carry pistol....
I carry a Series '70 Colt Government Model.
( Not that I agree with the new law or bans / restrictions etc...in general )

I do wonder if you don't say anything about any modifications , how will someone , who ain't all that familiar with firearms know any different...?
I do get that a so called "high capacity" magazine would be easy to spot....but who is to say or know when you bought that...?

Having been involved with defensive gun use in my past...saying the least without outright refusal worked for me.
Andy

The new does not affect me with with my everyday carry pistol....
I carry a Series '70 Colt Government Model.
( Not that I agree with the new law or bans / restrictions etc...in general )

I do wonder if you don't say anything about any modifications , how will someone , who ain't all that familiar with firearms know any different...?
I do get that a so called "high capacity" magazine would be easy to spot....but who is to say or know when you bought that...?

Having been involved with defensive gun use in my past...saying the least without outright refusal worked for me.
Andy
I always figured you for a one shot blunderbuss kind of a guy. Ten rounds limit, ha! I've only got ten balls!

FYI......

The other day.......I ran across an article where the shooter was using a Hi-Capacity magazine in his handgun to defend himself against an attacker. Sorry, but I can't find it at the moment.

Anyway......
Apparently, there was some discussion about "that illegal/hi-cap magazine".

Yeah......the shooting wasn't too much of a question. Though it was interesting to note that EVERYTHING must be legal or the liberals (maybe the DA too) will find FAULT.

Aloha, Mark

The odds of you ever having to use your carry piece, let alone using it and the other guy doesn't make it, is pretty slim, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night...

I don't think magazine capacity could be used against you. It's still legal in WA State after July 1 - just cannot buy any more. Any competent Defense attorney should probably be able to have the Judge remove that as even a consideration.

Modified trigger? Dunno. That may be a different consideration. How visibly obvious is the third-party trigger? Enough for someone to notice and think hmmm? Or more subtle, perhaps same black as the G19, etc.?

I always figured you for a one shot blunderbuss kind of a guy. Ten rounds limit, ha! I've only got ten balls!
A long time ago...
My home defense handgun was a Colt 1860 Army copy...I was well practiced with it and had worked it over a bit...
I still would feel well armed with a '51 Navy or '60 Army ....but do think that there are "better" choices out there...:D

Blunderbuss...
Worked well for Farmer Giles of Ham....:D
Andy

Oh I totally agree, I'd never volunteer any more information that is absolutely necessary. I'm actually more concerned with people who aren't familiar with firearms as I know firearms guys wouldn't bat an eye at some minor improvements. We know the gun used would go into evidence for a period of time, and if a prosecutor asks if it's been modified at all, they could decide to make all sorts of outrageous claims about it and myself.

I don't modify internals cause the gun is pointed at my junk all day (appendix)… I need to know that it won't go bang unless I pull that trigger. I could care less about what a prosecutor thinks about what I carry… safety/reliability is what concerns me when it comes to mods in a carry gun.

And yeah, I bought the black trigger with the red safety. The gold anodized barrel might make it more of a visual example tough....
I should probably post pictures for reference! She shoots so well and just eats any ammo you throw at it.
20210122_142728.jpg

20210122_142911.jpg

That trigger doesn't seem too bad, obvious, or evil.

The "pimp my ride" gold barrel? Dunno. It might be a bit of a "thug life" statement to some who are looking for an excuse. I'd probably pull an Amy Winehouse and go back to black.

RE : Speaking of "Modified"

While in the PD (when I joined in 1978) we were prohibited from making modifications to our issued firearms (at the time revolvers). That is.....except for changing grips. Every operation of the weapon was gone over by the Dept's Gunsmith.

Eventually, we moved to the S&W 5906 semi-auto. Again no modifications were allowed. And, the guns were checked over by the Dept's Gunsmith. IIRC, no one at the time was making a "custom" grip and besides IIRC that grip also played a part of the mainspring tensioning system.

Rrrrrright.......
The reason was.......
I suspect.......
That the PD wasn't about to take a chance with the JURY. Imagine.....what a jury member might be thinking.......
If/when that jury member hears.......

"The firearm that was used was "modified" and/or "not to factory specs."

Aloha, Mark

I should add the backplate is a custom gray and black metal American Flag. That will probably be deemed illegal soon in our terribly left state too..
I think it gets iffy when people start putting punisher skulls… smile and wait for the flash… OSOK… and other slogans on their guns that were used in self defense. I wouldn't worry too much about your set up. Looks good. Not a fan of barrel color but that's user choice. As long as your accurate and efficient with it that's what matters.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews