JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mostly carry full-sized guns, but have moved from steel to polymer. Started with .45 and .40 a bit but now have standardized on 9mm. The older I get, the heavier the gun feels, even if it is polymer. :(

The mantra I've embraced lately is "get fit, get armed, get trained." We are facing a perfect storm of elements wishing to tear down not just the United States, but Western Civilization and the principles of Liberty. My fear is Balkanization and widespread violence; I hope I'm wrong but the lessons of history and current events don't seem to lead down any other path.

My lovely spouse found us the right diet so I could lose enough weight to overcome most of the back pain of 2 back surgeries. In 6 weeks we've dropped nearly 40 lbs between us (me more, cause as the State Farm commercial says, well, he's a guy, so...yeah)...anyway I am now trying to get back in shape which was much easier in my forties than now in my near 60s.

Lost power today for a couple of hours so we decided to go for a hike, we did up and down on a new to us trail almost 3 miles round trip. I took my "light" GHB for practice (no food, limited water). Worked up a good sweat. I too am up-gunning when going out more to carrying the .45 more than the .380 and always putting the truck gun in the truck.

I didn't think much about it but last time I was on the mainland for a quick 18 hour trip....well, I had 3 freedom tools and over 200 BBs with me as it turned out, and my BOB and carbine still at home.
Mobility is the new mantra!

Brutus Out

Last Edited:
I pity to fool to fuch with me or my family. Be sure of your intent, and move. Make it permanent. I don't play "games" with lines on a board.

We used to do knife fight range pistol drills in the service. Very useful skills to have! Both of the above videos are very good! Much is published on shooting accurately and at a distance, fact is most gun fights happen much closer!. I have had the frightening experience of being in just such a fight and it was way, WAY too close! Training and reflexes/muscle memory are the only reason I am still taking nourishment! I honestly do not even remember drawing and firing until the pistol went click a few times! One dead bad dude in a dress, and a smoking AK in the dirt at my feet, and an empty Beretta dangling from my shaking hand, I will never ever forget how friggin scared I was that day! Sure makes one pause and reflect on life and just how short it really is, and how fast it can be taken from you! Train, train some more, and practice as often as the budget allows!!! In the end it all comes down to just a few fleeting seconds and the one with more experience and training is the one who almost always ends up walking away from it!

I have had the same self defense courses and you are right 100%. When I go to the range I shoot at varying distances none of which is longer than my hallway and close enough to feel breath. I figure if someone comes in my house the longest shot to make is in my hall. I do shoot all the way out to 50ft just to play and see how accurate I can stay at longer distances. But muscle memory is vital to survival!!!

So you went this way

14616031621201843522890.jpg

I started carrying about 20 years ago. In the beginning I did not carry every day but as I got older it became more frequent and now I just will not leave the house without one. I am finding however that is not the only thing that has changed. In my youth I carried what I considered to be compact light comfortable and easily concealed. Now that I am in my forties I carry what I consider to be combat handguns only. Full-size high-capacity large caliber for example now everyday I carry an XDM 45 with 13 round mag and One in the Chamber or Sig 226 same way. I was curious if I am the only one that has changed over the course of the last few years. The climate that we live in the society that moves around us has changed significantly over the last few years can I feel I am not the only one that has noticed this. And this is why I now carry what I carry so I guess my question is who else has done this?

You're not alone OP. In light of the increased terrorist activity in our country, I'm rethinking a lot of things. I live on one of Washington's many islands. I used to think that the place was pretty quiet and safe. And maybe it is. But in light of recent activities, it has also occurred to me that those of us that live out here are incredibly isolated in some ways.

What happens if some nut job or terrorist decides to go after one of the ferries? How long do you think it would take law enforcement or Coast Guard to respond, board and react to something like that? Probably a fair amount of time and where you gonna run to on a ferry?

What about on the island itself. It's my understanding that on an average night there are only two officers on duty for our entire island. And on my island they could easily be 45 minutes away...maybe more.

Then there was an incident lately where somebody broke in and attacked a homeowner. The bad guy left but the story is the homeowner called the sheriff and was told they didn't have anyone on the island currently and to sit tight until morning. That's the story that's being told at least.

So yea, I'm doing a lot of heavy thinking about what I need to be carrying and how best to prepare for things. That ferry situation in particular. To that end, I'm pretty new to island living. Does anyone know if the ferry folks have thought through things like terrorist attacks? They must have right? For example, is the wheelhouse locked off like the cockpit of an airplane? I've never been up there so I don't know. Is there any security on board? I don't recall ever seeing any uniformed guards but are there ever any undercover ones like Air Marshalls?

L8, I am not aware of "sea marshals" but there could be undercover ICE, DHS, Customs, FBI, etc. I am pretty sure they can lock the wheelhouse. a very soft opportunity for bad guys in black.

The incident you are talking about was not an "attack" it was a threat "AT GUNPOINT" by a masked gunman. It was personal in nature over a job that went to someone the gunman didn't like. True, there were no sheriff deputies on the island. The islands are pretty low key and pretty low crime rate, but I know folks who carry on the islands, daily. I never leave my home with out it even on the islands and especially when I get on a ferry. You are right, while I am sure the deputies are capable of good law enforcement, their just aren't many of them, and some commute from other islands. So yeah, they'll arrive in hours, not minutes. Also remember Colton Harris Moore evaded all of the above LEOS for months on Orcas and other San Juan Islands.

Brutus Out

Times are changing. I learned many years ago that I can conceal a full sized pistol A few years ago I went from a 5" 1911 to a 4" Kimber with alloy frame (from 39 oz. empty to 28 or so), but I won't go smaller than a 4" .45 ACP (yeah, I know the 9 vs .40 vs. 45 thing has been done to death and all are good with good ammo, but I'm looking toward a time when good expanding bullets may be hard to find).

I carry more spare mags on our trips to "civilization" than in the past. My wife carries a lot of spare ammo for her .38 plus generally a "New York Reload."

When we get up, the PDW goes on. When we undress, it goes into a holster screwed to the wall next to the headboard of the bed. Goblins often come at night, so a bathrobe should have at least a PPK or airweight .38 in one pocket, tactical flashlight in the other.

Ayoob gave some good advice about extra ammo in the car. I'm thinking maybe a backup piece would be a good idea.

The days when I ran around with just a PPK .380 and only one knife are long gone. We can see what's coming at us, and it's not pretty.

Reminds me that during Rodney King, or I should say Reginald Denny,:( I did my business with a .45ACP and an AK47 tucked between the buckets! Cocked and locked.
I felt at the time, and still do to this day, that Denny should have done three things: Pull down the air horn and hold it, Select low gear, Hold the throttle to the floor. Self defense.

No desire here to join the race to the bottom (to the smallest, lightest carry pistol possible).

I carry so that if I need a weapon, it will be the one I would really want to have in my hand when facing a dark, evil threat.

These days, it's the M&P40 full size, with 16 rounds of .40S&W. Potent caliber. Good capacity. Easy to carry. Easy to conceal with a good weight t-shirt. Reliable. Accurate. And very easy to shoot well!

The S&W M&P40 actually makes shooting .40 caliber enjoyable, something I did not find to be true with my G23.

P1010314.jpg P1010317.jpg P1010319.jpg

You're not alone OP. In light of the increased terrorist activity in our country, I'm rethinking a lot of things. I live on one of Washington's many islands. I used to think that the place was pretty quiet and safe. And maybe it is. But in light of recent activities, it has also occurred to me that those of us that live out here are incredibly isolated in some ways.

What happens if some nut job or terrorist decides to go after one of the ferries? How long do you think it would take law enforcement or Coast Guard to respond, board and react to something like that? Probably a fair amount of time and where you gonna run to on a ferry?

What about on the island itself. It's my understanding that on an average night there are only two officers on duty for our entire island. And on my island they could easily be 45 minutes away...maybe more.

Then there was an incident lately where somebody broke in and attacked a homeowner. The bad guy left but the story is the homeowner called the sheriff and was told they didn't have anyone on the island currently and to sit tight until morning. That's the story that's being told at least.

So yea, I'm doing a lot of heavy thinking about what I need to be carrying and how best to prepare for things. That ferry situation in particular. To that end, I'm pretty new to island living. Does anyone know if the ferry folks have thought through things like terrorist attacks? They must have right? For example, is the wheelhouse locked off like the cockpit of an airplane? I've never been up there so I don't know. Is there any security on board? I don't recall ever seeing any uniformed guards but are there ever any undercover ones like Air Marshalls?

I do not think that you are wrong! We were taking a little vacation on San Juan island up there and I came down with a bad gastro/intestinal issue! I think it was plague, rabies, Ebola!
What ever, it was unpleasant! I waited in the clinic for five hours before being seen by the doctor, (that's singular)! The island boasted two other doctors, who were not available at that time! Seriously? Sorry, I live in the city with about 30,000 doctors on call! I can well believe that any other emergency services would be just as lacking!

Well, that's good, DHart! But, I'm wondering how old a man are you? That race is the race for how long you've been breathing? I hope that you live to carry polymers for a very long time!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top