JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As for the OP title question....

Yes it can be a real possibility that you will go to jail after a justified shooting.
Why is this a surprise...?...Or even a question.

After a shooting or even a non-shooting defensive firearm event...
Remember the three "C" when answering questions :
Clearly
Completely
Concisely

And perhaps more importantly....
A Lawyer will be your newest and best friend.

It is easy to talk your way into jail...not so easy to talk your way out of it.
Andy
The question wasn't if you would possibly go to jail. The title was that it's a real possibility, you defend yourself and go to prison, now what? Did you win or lose?

And in the body of the title: "So that begs the question: is it worth staying in the US anymore?" Some have made some interesting points about staying here. But the reality is you are far more likely to be attacked here, and far more likely to be incarcerated. We have 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds inmates. Plus you're likely to get sued to death as well, since 96% of all lawsuits filed around the world are filed....here.

As mentioned earlier get a lawyer quickly and don't talk until then.
Ever notice the people most likely to insist on a lawyer being present is a law enforcement officer who is being investigated themselve?

The question wasn't if you would possibly go to jail. The title was that it's a real possibility, you defend yourself and go to prison, now what? Did you win or lose?

And in the body of the title: "So that begs the question: is it worth staying in the US anymore?" Some have made some interesting points about staying here. But the reality is you are far more likely to be attacked here, and far more likely to be incarcerated. We have 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds inmates. Plus you're likely to get sued to death as well, since 96% of all lawsuits filed around the world are filed....here.
You are also far more likely to be able to own guns and defend yourself in America too.

If you're still breathing at the end of the day I consider that a win. Whether I am a free man or sitting in a cell. As long as I acted for a justified reason and those I love are alive than I am ok with whatever outcome comes my way.

I've made peace with what may/probably occur if I am ever forced to use deadly force. It's to be expected nowadays. Doesn't mean I am not gunna carry or protect myself.

You are also far more likely to be able to own guns and defend yourself in America too.

If you're still breathing at the end of the day I consider that a win. Whether I am a free man or sitting in a cell. As long as I acted for a justified reason and those I love are alive than I am ok with whatever outcome comes my way.

I've made peace with what may/probably occur if I am ever forced to use deadly force. It's to be expected nowadays. Doesn't mean I am not gunna carry or protect myself.
These are the type of views I'm looking for. So you've accepted it.

Yea I've accepted the "potential" outcomes in exchange for my right to carry a gun and protect myself and others everyday.

That's not the way it should be but as America continues down this progressive/liberal road it's becoming more and more of a reality.

We've seen it in numerous cases. Some got lucky they were in the right jurisdiction and were acquitted. Kyle Rittenhouse, George Zimmerman, etc. Others were in enemy territory and were sent to prison for 25 to life.

So that begs the question: is it worth staying in the US anymore? It's obvious the country has gone to hell. Many people I know who visit here tell me they can see how aggressive and violent people are here, especially in King County. From my travels to other parts of the country, the red states are not like this. Many European countries are also not like this. I've never felt the need to be armed traveling abroad.

So here you have a RIGHT to be armed, but it seems like if you use it, there's a 50% chance you're going to prison for life. That's not exactly a life worth living. So what do you do, let yourself get killed because it's better than prison? Knowing the perp will likely be let go because of a legal system that loves criminals and hates the law abiding?

Or....

Do you shoot and take your chances, and if you get convicted, just shrug and spend life in prison?
My advice is to plan on going to jail for life if you shoot somebody. You likely won't have time to decide how a DA and jury will respond to your act. This whittles down your pre-shooting thought process to two main choices. Shoot and go to jail or don't shoot and suffer the wrath of the perp. If more people thought this way, there would probably be less people shooting at catalytic converter thieves, cars entering driveways, etc.

Well I disagree...and gave my reasons in the post you quoted.

I also answered the question is it worth staying in the US anymore in a earlier post...
It seems as if you disagree and don't think that it is worth staying in the US.
So....maybe you outta go to a country that you think is better.*

In any event I wish you good luck.
Andy

*Edit to add...
Not trying to be argumentative here.
Or saying that you need to / must go ....
I am saying / asking...
If you think / feel / know , that it is as bad here in the US as you keep saying here in this thread...
Then why are you staying...?
Or What are you going to do about it..?
Those are important....and perhaps "better" questions.
'Cause it really don't matter in your life what I or anyone else here thinks , feels , knows or does.
What is important in your life really only matters to you.

Last Edited:
Accepted "It"? Dude, "it" is what it is. What's your point here? Or do you have a point? What do YOU suggest as alternatives? Or are you just trying to stir the proverbial pot?
You seem to take issue with the incarceration of criminals in the United States. Having spent some time working in criminal justice, I will simply say that most if not all the incarcerated individuals WORKED TO GET THERE. Most are in for their 2nd or 3rd offense, and not petty crime either.
The system isnt perfect, cops arent perfect, judges arent perfect. Most of us know this. What to do with criminals is a big problem but we try... Why the richest(?) nation on Earth has the highest incarcerated population is something of a mystery- but the inmates arent there for stealing out of the church collection plate- most have convictions for violent felonies and/OR multiple convictions over time... rapes, assaults, robberies, murders.
If you can come up with a better way, we'd sure like to hear it...

Last Edited:
Anyone who can't / won't see the upsides of life in America should certainly vote with their feet, live up to their rhetoric, and depart for whichever location they deem to be preferable. It's kinda silly to remain otherwise. But perhaps there is some backlog in travel availability due to that long list of celebrities that have proclaimed their intent to leave over recent years.

Exactly. He may have been restricting some air flow but he wasn't choking him. He was simply trying to restrain him.

Where the neck goes the body goes.
Human bodies are all over the map when it comes to durability.
20 plus years ago, an armed shoplifter died in my store parking lot after being tased by police. Since tasers were not in common use yet, wild theories sprung up about the implement being at fault.
Turns out, dead dude's life long drug habit , combined with massive obesity, made him a heart attack time bomb. The adrenaline dump of getting caught stealing probably killed him before the electric shock had a chance.

And in the body of the title: "So that begs the question: is it worth staying in the US anymore?"
I dont think the US is as bad as you make it out to be. I dont think other countries are the better you make them out to be. Some places do things better, but other things worse. Everything in life is a trade off. At least in the US we are still not (yet) "subjects to the king" (so to speak).

I have a friend who always criticized how bad America and Americans are, he finally put his money where his mouth was and left the country... now all he does is complain about the new culture and customs.
Everythings a trade off.

Last Edited:
Human bodies are all over the map when it comes to durability.
20 plus years ago, an armed shoplifter died in my store parking lot after being tased by police. Since tasers were not in common use yet, wild theories sprung up about the implement being at fault.
Turns out, dead dude's life long drug habit , combined with massive obesity, made him a heart attack time bomb. The adrenaline dump of getting caught stealing probably killed him before the electric shock had a chance.
excited delirium

More than likely the same reason the great saint George Floyd died. - Not because of the cop. Even though he was charged for it.

Last Edited:
In my mind the view while traveling in other countries, is not the same as living in other countries. Having spent much time in a variety of countries on several continents, each far away from tourism getting to know a variety of peoples in their every day lives, I cannot think of any country without Issues. As I juxtaposed what I saw and experienced, to my country of birth, I could vividly see the fortunate circumstance all here had been given. Regardless of real or perceived plus, and minuses of the US, I believe we have more opportunity to control our collective and personal destiny than all those other countries. Having spent 3/4's of a century here, I will not give up on that, however minimal my efforts seem to have been the last few decades..
But then, I wear glasses, so it may not be your view and are welcomed to find that greener grass elsewhere...

US would be far better if we had better people running the country. Of all the things that have given us great lifestyles it's government that has failed us the most. The reason government has failed is they are all educated to fail , every one in government has a college education. They were not taught to think but indoctrinated to fit the wheel. Both parties have the same failing.

Only way the nation heals from the crap going on is better government. A government that abides by the constitution and affirms our rights, including our gun rights.

Going to jail for defending yourselves is a government that doesn't follow the constitution.

Merely following a suspicious person in your neighborhood while on the phone with 911 doesn't justify Martin attacking him and breaking his nose, beating him nearly to death. He fired a single shot when the attacker was ontop of him.

Sure, I wouldn't have followed. I call the police who do nothing in most cases now (called recently for my gf and they told me they're backed up and will have an officer check the vehicle in a month, gave me dates). I wouldn't have followed, but if I did, what Martin did was felonious assault. Zimmerman had a right to defend himself. The law doesn't say Zimmerman was in the wrong, hence his acquittal.

But let's compare this to your comment on Rittenhouse. Was he minding his own business? Walking the street at 17 with a rifle? At protests? At night?

So Zimmerman who was on the phone with 911 following a suspicious person in his neighborhood was not minding his own business...but Kyle who was not a resident of the area, lived in another state, armed with a rifle, at night, at violent protests, was minding his own business. Goooot it.
Kyle was a 17 year old kid being attacked by a mob of full grown adults.

Zimmerman was a full grown adult attacked by a single kid.

I feel compassionately for Kyle, not so much rent a cop.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top