JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I trust myself more where I can meticulously control every step, rather than mass production.
100% this is me, I trust my own loads WAY over anything factory. I know exactly what they are going to do.

As for shooting unknown loads. Probably not. I am all for pulling and going fresh powder.

Why not, if you buy meth on the street from completely unknown cookers and heroin off the street without knowing if it is laced with fentanyl? If you don't do that, then the answer is NO!

I have used up most of mine - only had two explosions - so far, and those were from a known source (MiWall)

I had some in a baggy that came with an ammo buy from here - those got used up with no issues.

But in the future, no reloads that I don't do myself.

Welcome to the type 99 club!

My 2 cents, don't trust another mans reloads. Pull the projectiles and reload them yourself.

I've been reloading for only 5 years or so, and not too consistently. I reload like feast or famine. Load 1000 rounds of my calibers and then not reload until I'm running low (I really need to save up more reserves).

I trust my recipes, but I never completely trust myself to not make mistakes. I have had to pull a couple hundred bullets to recharge due to a lapse in paying attention to charge weight. I have learned to approach every step in reloading with very close attention to what I am doing.

Because of this, I trust my reloads, but not anyone else's unless I know for sure they are more careful than I am.

I gotta admit, though, that the pucker factor was high the first time I ever tried out my first batch of ammo I had reloaded (300blk, in brass I had converted, in the first rifle, which was also untried, I had ever built). 😁

I really love reloading and load development for a lot of reasons. It is a technical hobby that doesn't necessarily need a lot of space or money, and produces fun times.

You're dealing with percentages. Let's just guess that 90% of reloads have been done correctly. That leaves the remaining 10 percent as potentially hazardous. Of this 10 percent, the level of hazard varies. My estimates are only approximate.

By pulling a bullet, you could reduce the potential for hazard by inspecting the powder. It doesn't take an expert to determine whether a pistol powder or rifle powder has been used. If you see a stick powder, it's rifle powder. With ball powder, forget it, you probably can't tell.

OP is only talking about two boxes of ammo. My inclination would be to pull the bullets on all of them and inspect everything, such a small job. If he plans to keep the rifle, likely he will be using the tools again. When he sells the rifle, he can get most of his money back by reselling the tools.

"unknown" would have to be clarified. Reloads that are 100% unknown in their origin and I have no knowledge of any information about them….

In a life or death emergency if I had no other ammo and I needed ammo… sure. Other than that, no.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top