JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you own/shoot a rechambered firearm?

• Yes, if I was reasonably sure it was done in a safe manner.

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • Yes, regardless. Where's your sense of adventure? đź’Ą

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Add to a collection, perhaps, but not shoot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No idea, hasn't really come up, or something like that.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Space pineapples! 🍍

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What are the variables?
Aversion to opera, tolerance for spicy food
What is the firearm?
524CCB26-26C3-4245-A82C-CA4B886EE0B8.jpeg
What is the new chambering?
4942AF0F-B03B-4712-A0AB-EF68EE5EA2E1.jpeg
Who did the rechambering?
04207FF4-D8A4-443B-90C8-EDB8F918504D.png

I've got a Ruger Single Six. Every so often I rechamber it myself. I just pull this little pin/doohickey thingy out and put the .22 magnum cylinder in. It's really not as tough as it sounds, but then maybe I'm just special and perhaps overqualified. I'm also pretty awesome at re-chambering it back to the original .22 long rifle configuration, but sometimes have trouble remembering which cylinder is which. I'm old doncha know? :s0108::s0112:

Based a couple recent conversations with a family member and an acquaintance: would you own and/or shoot a firearm that had been rechambered from its original, factory chambering? Why or why not? If you should have such a piece in your collection at the present, what would it be?

Thanks for sharing.
the Navy converted thousands of m1 Garands from 30-06 to .308
never heard of a problem with one
based on this I converted my Garand to .308 back in '91
don't even use a .308 block in it, just load in the original clips

I have seen some rechamber / rebarreled jobs that have scared me. Take a small ring mauser and chamber it in 308 win. H3ll is not cold enough by a long shot to make that one safe in my opinion.

Based a couple recent conversations with a family member and an acquaintance: would you own and/or shoot a firearm that had been rechambered from its original, factory chambering? Why or why not? If you should have such a piece in your collection at the present, what would it be?

Thanks for sharing.
Yes, I have with no issues. Using chamber inserts to allow 7.62x51 in .30-06 Garand and in .30-06 Springfield to 7.62x51. .38 spec in .357, and 9mmP in 9mm Largo ( not very successful, but no dangerous over-pressure signs or split cases/flattened primers)... Oh and .22LR in .22mag cylinder. Split the LR cases, not all that accurate either. Young dumb and too cash-strapped to afford the magnums at the time.

Last Edited:
I have a 1909 Argentine Mauser rechambered to 3006. My Dad purchased it, so chambered, from GI Joes in about 67'-68' for $35. 2 model 93 Mausers were purchased at the same time, both in their (original?) 7mm chambering, for $15 ea. Those 2 immediately exhibited signs of excessive head space and were discarded. The Argentine, while providing mediocre accuracy, has never given any cause for concern. The accuracy issue is possibly due to the 7.65 bore of the original chambering.

Sure if....
The firearm was a quality build in the first place...and gunsmithing / custom work was also of quality....
And...if the rechambering was of a cartridge suited to firearm.

A lot of If there....
But then back in the day...there was also a lot of quality custom work as well.
Andy

Like many others have said, my answer would be qualified by variables. One notable and pathetic old rifle that was given to me was a Ludwig Loewe Model 1893 Turdish Mauser. I went out and bought a set of 7.65x53 Mauser dies, some .311 bullets and some new brass. I combined these ingredients, and the first round I test seated in the chamber kind of disappeared. I didn't have any of that chamber molding stuff that Brownell's sells, so I substituted candle wax. The result showed that someone had crudely bored the rifle out to take .30-06 ammo. If you looked at the profile of the barrel where it screws into the receiver, it was obvious that the .30-06 case incurred overly into the tapering area of the rifle barrel. I was never adventuresome enough to fire a full load .30-06 round in it, but I did load up some cat sneeze loads that were puny enough so as to not blow me up.

I had one of those 5 in. bbl. Smith & Wesson .38/200's that were made for the British Empire in WW2 that said, "Rebored in Australia" on it. The chambers had been opened up to take .38 Special ammo. It never gave me any problems but it was Hell on .38 Spec. brass which would expand excessively in the case head area, which is larger on the .38/200 case than the Special.

I've used some of the USN inserts to convert .30-06 to 7.62mm NATO. I also own a number of those chamber sleeves that convert X cartridge to take a subcaliber round.

The thing about modifications, yes, they may work fine (so far) in one's experience. But there is always the little Demon that assigns how many shots are allowed in badly done work until it choose to come apart.

No Sweat.

Current faves: Ruger tang safety M77 .257 Roberts Improved.
Siamese Mauser .45-70

Rechambering is no different than any other job: good 'Smith, good work.

Nervous with a newly acquired rechambered gun with no red flags? Strap it to a tire and run a box through it.

rechambered...no problem, it's done all the time.

Resleeved/lined...that's a different story.
Once again (and just like rechambering) installing a liner is done all the time, and works very well in the calibers for which it is done, often bringing new life to guns that would languish otherwise.

1709831615771.jpeg
Remington No. 2 Rolling Block, 22lr. When acquired, it was a keyholer. With a liner installed by a skilled 'Smith, no Hefeweisen can is safe at 50 yards. Warning: operation of this action may cause addictive dependency and frequent ammunition shortages.

Once again (and just like rechambering) installing a liner is done all the time, and works very well in the calibers for which it is done, often bringing new life to guns that would languish otherwise.

View attachment 1838255
Remington No. 2 Rolling Block, 22lr. When acquired, it was a keyholer. With a liner installed by a skilled 'Smith, no Hefeweisen can is safe at 50 yards. Warning: operation of this action may cause addictive dependency and frequent ammunition shortages.
I know. It's done VERY wrong a lot too. Lining is much more complicated and requires very specific machinery and abilities to be done right.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top