JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you own/shoot a rechambered firearm?

• Yes, if I was reasonably sure it was done in a safe manner.

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • Yes, regardless. Where's your sense of adventure? 💥

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Add to a collection, perhaps, but not shoot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No idea, hasn't really come up, or something like that.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Space pineapples! 🍍

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Based a couple recent conversations with a family member and an acquaintance: would you own and/or shoot a firearm that had been rechambered from its original, factory chambering? Why or why not? If you should have such a piece in your collection at the present, what would it be?

Thanks for sharing.

Based a couple recent conversations with a family member and an acquaintance: would you own and/or shoot a firearm that had been rechambered from its original, factory chambering? Why or why not? If you should have such a piece in your collect at the present, what would it be?

Thanks for sharing.
Personally no. Only exception would be something like a 1873 Winchester Fe chambered for .357 or whatever or some cool gun that was very inexpensive. But I'm saying thag not from my knowledge of is it good or bad (I don't know enough about it), it's based on my distaste for altered or sporterized guns. But if it's a cheap interesting shooter grade gun then why not? Not much risk for that type unless it was unsafe somehow. 2 cents fwiw

I don't see a problem with it. As long as the headspace is right and the new chambering is clearly marked, I'm not sure how it's any different from replacing a barrel in the original chambering

had a Mauser 98 that shot 6mm rem, whole new barrel rather than rechambered I guess. I have been around and fired rechambered rifles, no problem

I voted the first one. Longer answer is it depends.

If done professionally and appropriate to the firearm, I have no concerns with such conversions, generally speaking. A lot of fine guns are rechambered affairs.

There are, however, historical conversions I wouldn't shoot. Examples: Full pressure .45 ACP in "shaved" Webley revolvers and 7.92㎜ Mauser in last ditch, converted Volkssturm Carcano rifles. The former I've seen one break due to firing said. The latter I've read enough to be at least somewhat leary, even though that is being overly cautious.

So, I disagree with the two chaps I was talking too who categorically ruled out rechambered firearms.

Last Edited:
Based a couple recent conversations with a family member and an acquaintance: would you own and/or shoot a firearm that had been rechambered from its original, factory chambering? Why or why not? If you should have such a piece in your collection at the present, what would it be?

Thanks for sharing.
Like a 9mm 1911?

Reeee!

Voted that first option. Not only would I, but I already have quite a lot and still have a couple of such firearms.

Some examples from the past:

Czech vz 52 rifle with a chamber insert to convert from 7.62x45 to 7.62x39 (this was NOT a model 52/57 which was x39 from the factory). Ran fine, never a problem.

MAS-49/59 converted to .308 from 7.5 French. I had to run steel-cased ammo (which ran perfect) because with brass the extractor kept tearing the rim. This was more of a reliability than safety issue.

Spanish Model 1916 (converted from 7mm to 7.62x51). There's debate about have safe these are in the long term and I generally stuck to lighter loads and never had a problem.

Currently own:

Indonesian Model 1954. This is a conversion of a Dutch Mannlicher Model 1895 in 6.5x53R to .303 Brit. No problems as of yet.

Arisaka Type 38 converted from 6.5x50 to 7.62x39 by the Chinese. The Type 38 action is famously strong and has reportedly been converted to all sorts of crazy things so I have little worry about a conversion to x39 which is actually slightly less powerful than the original cartridge.

Yes! Because that is currently what i am having done to my gun. I had JES rebore and rechamber a 270 win to a 9.3x62mm, that will be added to my switch barrel rifle. I am sure it will be fine especially since the 270 win is the higher pressure round.

Have not yet but I have always wanted to own a Type 38 Chinese-converted to 7.62x39 like the one @raftman owns! I've only ever read about them online and I figure it'd make a nice piece of history to own and shoot with more readily available ammunition than 6.5 Jap.

It seems that sense of adventure is in short supply around here.

1000002798.jpg

I am not sure that I have shot through a rechambered barrel but I would. I have shot cartridges through barrels that were chambered for a different cartridge. So far I still have all my fingers and toes.

My answer? Every time I get ready for hunting season, and quite often one shot that ends the season!

I have a Ruger77MKII that @Velzey rechambered to Ackley Improved. I missed one year while it was in the shop getting the job done, but with one notable exception, I've carried it every year since then.
Yes. In fact, a couple grail guns come to mind. 45-70 Gibbs Enfield ( especially if chrome or NP3) and any ol fake of a DeLisle carbine would be rad.
I had money down on a Quest (Gibbs 45-70) when the gun shop I was buying it thru folded. I was fortunate to get my money back, but no rifle...
I really wanted one of those.

I have a Smith-Corona M1903 A3 that was rechambered to 308 NORMA Mag in the early 60's. Don't how many Deer and Elk or rounds shot through it. But it's been a few. So yes I would shoot a gun that's been rechambered.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top