JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I purchased a Type 99 Arisaka from a respectable member of this forum awhile ago. He purchased the rifle from an old timer that used to reload... along with the rifle came two boxes of hand reloads for 7.7 Jap from the long deceased collector. Obviously, for legal reasons, these reloads were included as "components".

It is very difficult and expensive to find 7.7 Jap (yes, I know in the long run reloading is the best option but lets shelve that at the moment). It took me 9 months to get 7.7 Jap from Steinel at nearly $1.50 a round.

As a hypothetical: would you risk shooting the unknown reloads OR be cautious, pull the bullets, and reload the components?

NO! Do you care about the gun? Your fingers? Eye's? Then NO. Ask moderator Andy about the nice rifle he lost this way.:(
If the rounds are pricey and hard to find, take the loaded rounds apart and use them to make new but I would NEVER use them as is.

Hey Folks,

I purchased a Type 99 Arisaka from a respectable member of this forum awhile ago. He purchased the rifle from an old timer that used to reload... along with the rifle came two boxes of hand reloads for 7.7 Jap from the long deceased collector. Obviously, for legal reasons, these reloads were included as "components".

It is very difficult and expensive to find 7.7 Jap (yes, I know in the long run reloading is the best option but lets shelve that at the moment). It took me 9 months to get 7.7 Jap from Steinel at nearly $1.50 a round.

As a hypothetical: would you risk shooting the unknown reloads OR be cautious, pull the bullets, and reload the components?
I am going to be the outlier here again and say I would probably fire them. Unless the reloader really screwed up his loads it will be hard to blow up a Type 99. You could try a few with a string. Check out this video to see what effort it took to try and deconstruct a type 99 rifle.

If you want to be safe buy this kit and a kinetic buller puller ($20).

You could then pull the bullets and reload them with a fresh known powder. The investment would be worth it since 7.7 jap ammo is hard to find and spendy.

Not conclusive as even the same brass and bullets will have variances in weight - AND some powders look similar although very different - E.G. ball powders.
Even if I could be "pretty sure" of the powder, and then "pretty sure" they were "OK" it would be no. All I would be thinking at every shot is if I KB this fine gun I will be forever thinking, "I did this just because the ammo is pricey". No matter how "pricey" the ammo the cases and bullets, even primers are all good to go. Pulling them down all you have to do is use the powder you know will work. So its not like you are losing money. I keep thinking of the story Andy told of the guy who KB'd that nice rifle of his by using reloads he "thought" were good. I just can not for the life of me see the up side to risking this?????

all over again...

In the no camp as well. For this rifle you need to reload for it unless it's just part of a collection you don't shoot. Pull the bullets and reload. If aren't already a reloader either get a kit as posted above or get the dies and supplies and I bet there is at least one forum member who will be happy to assist over post reloading beers.

If you aren't already a reloader all I can say is do it! It will open a dimension to shooting as well as a connection to you firearms you won't get otherwise. Tons of already depreciated reloading gear on the forum classifieds to choose from and tons of expertise among this community as well if you need help.

Hey Folks,

HELL to the NO!

Pull the bullets and weigh 'em, find load data for that caliber, and reload them yourself.

Odds are they would be fine, but there's always that chance that the old timer grabbed the wrong powder or something. I have to agree with everyone else; I'd pull the bullets, dump the powder, and recharge with fresh powder.

Let me know if you ever want to meet up at the range. I have plenty of 7.7 Arisaka ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top