JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Nice :) I see that RIA has a very reasonably priced double stack 1911 available now. That might be something to consider. I like the idea of the 80% builds, but I would have to successfully build a number of them before I would feel comfortable enough to actually carry a build like that.

Me??? XDM 4.5 19+1, +2 19 rd spare mags (4 if im feelin really froggy)....58 rds. If i can't hit my target at 100 yds with 58 rds, I need to train more....I KNOW I can do that!!!

I really like that Rock Pistol, and the Para 16.40 pro can be re barreled easy enough, I really wish both of these were available when I started down this road, but like any thing else in the gun world, once you have one, you want them all:D:D:D

Today's events make one think, is a sidearm adequate?

Do we, as responsible gun owners, many who carry everyday, need to up our game?

Seriously thinking that an AR needs to reside in the trunk, with enough to feed it should a SHTF situation seek me out...

Well that just goes to show all of us that it can happen anywhere!!

Yes it made me think as many of you have stated. I may have to up my game and make up a rifle safe under the back seat of my truck. It's really sad that it has all come down to this. But I will protect me and my own. Thanks for the video post sigmadog.

To answer the OP...

I carry because I'm a free man, because the founding fathers ensured that each and every one of us would have the God givin ability to protect ourselves...

I carry because my elected officials have determined that they'd rather protect the criminal, ensuring their civil and constitutional rights are well protected, rather than the victims...

I carry because, I see the world as a place that grows more dangerous each and every day. I carry because I need to ensure my personal safety as well as the safety of my loved ones. I carry because I refuse to be a victim...

I carry because I cannot count on any other human being to be my protection... I carry because I am responsible for
My own safety and well being...

Today, I carry an M&P Shield .45 w/ a total of 28 rounds of Federal 230gr. HST's... But with these most recent events, I'm considering going back to a G19, then I can pack around 61 rounds of Federal 147gr HST's...

I'm nammac, I'm the NRA, I'm a responsible gun owner, I carry a gun...

To answer the OP...

I carry because I'm a free man, because the founding fathers ensured that each and every one of us would have the God givin ability to protect ourselves...

I carry because my elected officials have determined that they'd rather protect the criminal, ensuring their civil and constitutional rights are well protected, rather than the victims...

I carry because, I see the world as a place that grows more dangerous each and every day. I carry because I need to ensure my personal safety as well as the safety of my loved ones. I carry because I refuse to be a victim...

I carry because I cannot count on any other human being to be my protection... I carry because I am responsible for
My own safety and well being...

Today, I carry an M&P Shield .45 w/ a total of 28 rounds of Federal 230gr. HST's... But with these most recent events, I'm considering going back to a G19, then I can pack around 61 rounds of Federal 147gr HST's...

I'm nammac, I'm the NRA, I'm a responsible gun owner, I carry a gun...

:s0101: That just about sums it up!! Well said!!!

Earlier today when discussing the Congressional baseball shooting, I told someone "You wanted to know why I'm building an AR15 to go into my briefcase? THIS is why, so if something like this happens around me I have a chance to stop it before it really gets started, or at least better effect a fighting withdrawal for myself and my loved ones."

Go and watch some of the footage of the recent shooting in London. The ones where you see dozens of people huddled on the floor of a bar, praying the Aloha Snackbars don't bring their machete game to them. People were fighting with chairs and pint glasses.

Lord knows I don't want to die. But if I do, I sure as hell don't want it to be because I got hacked to death while cowering in the corner of a dirty bar room floor.

A lot of people that carry these days are doing so with a sub compact single stack of some sort...like a Shield or similar. They sure conceal nicely. And there was a time where if you did need a gun, it was probably going to be because someone...a single person...was trying to mug you or steal the cash at a convenience store. And granted a single stack sub compact is much better than nothing. But is that the gun you want if you're facing three terrorist nut jobs with machetes? Or if you have to take a shot at a guy with a rifle from the other side of a baseball diamond?

It's probably still likely that if you do need a gun it will be for a single assailant in a "close up" type encounter. But it never made sense to me that if I was going to carry a gun, that I would carry it based on the best possible scenario...one person close up...instead of the worst. And I've never been particularly lucky in this lifetime.

Carry everyday and always. Stay safe out there people!

I sent an email to S&W to see if they were thinking of making a M&P in double stack 10mm but they said that they wont comment on what they may or may not be working on.

Well that just goes to show all of us that it can happen anywhere!!

Yes it made me think as many of you have stated. I may have to up my game and make up a rifle safe under the back seat of my truck. It's really sad that it has all come down to this. But I will protect me and my own. Thanks for the video post sigmadog.

I have a Ranger PU with the jump seats. Now I have to find a good rifle safe that will fit with enough room for an AR15 with a Law Tactical Folder.

I carry, largely because I get lots of death threats and work with a population that can be a little unstable.

I carry also because I always wanted to.

I carry because I want my wife to have a husband and my daughters to have a dad.

I also carry because I have used a gun to halt crimes. I know it works. I also had the privilege of using a gun to stop a man being beaten. I say privilege because I got to be the guy who saved someone's life. I also didn't need to shoot the guy, though I had to wait 26 minutes for the cops to show up.

I have a Ranger PU with the jump seats. Now I have to find a good rifle safe that will fit with enough room for an AR15 with a Law Tactical Folder.

I am going to research it. I have a full back seat that flips up and has storage compartments so there has got to be something that will fit or someone who makes one for that.

I really like that Rock Pistol, and the Para 16.40 pro can be re barreled easy enough, I really wish both of these were available when I started down this road, but like any thing else in the gun world, once you have one, you want them all:D:D:D

So, do they have a drop-in 10mm barrel available for that Para? Would that be available directly from the manufacturer?

As it sits, I do have a double stack 10mm in my G20, but no holster for it. I think if I were to carry a full size though, I'd at least want to go with the RIA or the Para.

With respect to the Virginia shootings, events like that do not encourage me to carry. Even if I was carrying and was there at the time, I am in no way trained to stop that threat, and would only endanger myself and/or others to try and do so. I believe in that situation, 'cowering like a rabbit' or running away, would be one of the safest and smartest decisions for my personal safety.

Personally, I have never felt the need to carry in PDX. I'm more confident in my ability to avoid threats than to confront them in a gun fight, and weigh my choices and risks accordingly. That said, I wont remain untrained for long, in case I ever do feel the need to carry.

With respect to the Virginia shootings, events like that do not encourage me to carry. Even if I was carrying and was there at the time, I am in no way trained to stop that threat, and would only endanger myself and/or others to try and do so. I believe in that situation, 'cowering like a rabbit' or running away, would be one of the safest and smartest decisions for my personal safety.

Personally, I have never felt the need to carry in PDX. I'm more confident in my ability to avoid threats than to confront them in a gun fight, and weigh my choices and risks accordingly. That said, I wont remain untrained for long, in case I ever do feel the need to carry.

Except in the case of the shooting yesterday, several folks there noted the position they were in - trapped in the dugout, no route for escape and the shooter moving toward them, left them in a position where they were about to die. The only way off the field was to scale a 10 foot high fence in full view of the shooter or to go by the shooter to get to the one exit off the field. The shooter was between them and any avenue of escape. As they tried to hide in the dugout, one congressman said the shooter would have killed them, if not for one thing - the officer with the gun in the dugout with them. He said they would be dead now if it weren't for that gun, because he was coming for them.

Realistically it is not always possible to get to complete concealment or to run away, as yesterday's event proved. I carry for just those times. I would rather run or hide, but sometimes, your only option is to fight - and against an attacker with a gun, I want to have a decent chance to fight for my life.

it was a horrible situation to be in for sure, and luckily the person with the gun had the training to use if effectively.

I would most certainly want a gun if I had no other choice, and the options were die or try. I just dont think the odds of me winding up in a situation like that warrant the hassles of concealment. Again, only for me, and only for the time being.

Except in the case of the shooting yesterday, several folks there noted the position they were in - trapped in the dugout, no route for escape and the shooter moving toward them, left them in a position where they were about to die. The only way off the field was to scale a 10 foot high fence in full view of the shooter or to go by the shooter to get to the one exit off the field. The shooter was between them and any avenue of escape. As they tried to hide in the dugout, one congressman said the shooter would have killed them, if not for one thing - the officer with the gun in the dugout with them. He said they would be dead now if it weren't for that gun, because he was coming for them.

Realistically it is not always possible to get to complete concealment or to run away, as yesterday's event proved. I carry for just those times. I would rather run or hide, but sometimes, your only option is to fight - and against an attacker with a gun, I want to have a decent chance to fight for my life.

:s0101: YEP sums it up! you and @nammac are on a roll this week!

Making me rethink the capacity of my carry gun...
:s0101:
Spare mag or speed loader? Of course. Have always had. Even with my little NAA. I bought a holster for it that holds an extra load of ammo. Probably ridiculous with how slow they load but I like it anyway. If only carrying one gun then of course an extra mag. More is always better as long as it does not lead you to some times not having it. The old rule of have something, even if its only 5 shots, rather than caught with nothing. Again all of us will go rest of our lives and not need it but, what if one of us ends up in something like this.

Does make us think, huh? I understand the concern for more capacity but for me I kind of suck honestly behind my single stacks like my xds. They have there place for hiding well. I just need to shoot them more.

On the flip side, I have a few 357 mags and one 44 mag no mass shooters want to tango with me while having those. Guess I'm a revolver guy.

Not for me but, there is nothing wrong with a wheel gun. If someone is good with one and confident with one, it still beats hell out the auto left at home, or the guy with an auto who can't hit what he shoots at.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top