JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The gun control groups are already out there screaming their fool heads off. I am getting so tired of hearing "The gunman was stopped by highly trained law enforcement officers" Ok I dont know if these officers were highly trained or not but I know a LOT of LEOs and have them in the family and they dont train worth a darn!

I would wager that most people on here are more trained then most LEO's
Im not bashing LEO's by any means but the ones I know only go shooting to qualify and thats it...

They say that because they have nothing else they can say. What do you expect them to say? These same people were just out chanting that all Cops are killers and should never be trusted. Hypocrisy knows no bounds with the left.

Today's events make one think, is a sidearm adequate?

Do we, as responsible gun owners, many who carry everyday, need to up our game?

Seriously thinking that an AR needs to reside in the trunk, with enough to feed it should a SHTF situation seek me out...

The pistols like this with a brace are just "made for" this kind of carry. They can be hidden well enough in most vehicles to make them not found in a causal "smash n grab" break in. slower to get at them then of course but, at least they are there. I keep a PCC in my vehicles all the time for just this reason. Sure I'll never need it but, feel good having it there. With the drop in AR prices it's VERY temping to build up a pistol and put a brace on it.

Except in the case of the shooting yesterday, several folks there noted the position they were in - trapped in the dugout, no route for escape and the shooter moving toward them, left them in a position where they were about to die. The only way off the field was to scale a 10 foot high fence in full view of the shooter or to go by the shooter to get to the one exit off the field. The shooter was between them and any avenue of escape. As they tried to hide in the dugout, one congressman said the shooter would have killed them, if not for one thing - the officer with the gun in the dugout with them. He said they would be dead now if it weren't for that gun, because he was coming for them.

Realistically it is not always possible to get to complete concealment or to run away, as yesterday's event proved. I carry for just those times. I would rather run or hide, but sometimes, your only option is to fight - and against an attacker with a gun, I want to have a decent chance to fight for my life.
:s0101::s0101::s0101:

I've never carried a full size, but watching what happened today, I'm starting to think a compact may just be a bit inadequate in some circumstances. I think with the right belt and carry rig I could pull it off.

I carried a Ruger LCP 9mm for a long time. Had to draw it and hold at low ready behind my leg one day when a guy with a 1911 and a homemade silencer considered a place I was at a target for a robbery. He looked at me, and knew I was armed and went to the place next door to rob them, and shots were fired.

Since I was awake all night after that I had a lot of time to analyze that situation. My Ruger single stack 9mm with 8 shots and a 7 round mag if I could get to it was going to be pretty ineffective against his 1911, but over all I had decided I was probably going to lose that gunfight.

A few days later found me in Coastal holding a very nice S&W SD VE 40. Loved the way it felt, so I bought it. Got a nice leather holster and 2 mag carriers as well. I now have on my person 43 rounds of .40 ammo at all times. I think this video supports an extra mag or two. My veteran boys had been on me about the 9mm for a long time. They carry .45's all of them.

I now notice no difference in the carry weight, the gun handles much better than the compact 9mm and having the 43 rounds is a good thing. I dress to conceal and really don't give a f if somebody figures out I am carrying. I carry on school properties, in church's, in parks at Little League games, every where.

That shooting was not a shooting, that was a full out engagement with a lot of rounds fired. Would have felt much better with an AR and a couple of extra mags, but what the hell, going to a park to practice baseball should not require that level of armament.

Wow and thank you Sigmadog. Down here in SW OR in South Josephine County we still have practically ZERO law enforcement. Slowly changing for the better. At our local high school athletic events like baseball about one half or fifty percent of the adults in the stands watching and cheering on are legally carrying concealed handguns.

Small town. We all know each other. Some of us firearm train together. Lots of retired military and civil service law enforcement and firefighting. There seems to be a level of citizenship down here that the low life does not bother. I am not quite sure why. I do kinda think that if what happened in Washington DC happened here, it would never start. I hope not. Just me.

Respectfully.

Curry County is even less protected by law enforcement. Consider everybody there armed.

Just some food for thought after reading great comments...

I think this all boils down to accuracy and what you're good with, no? If we talk full size auto loader, in a life and death situation, I would pick my Springfield 1911 over my Glock or xdm only because Im very good with it compared to the others. My czp09 is also out. I can tell it's probably the most accurate 9mm I have but as far as ergos I'm not consistent with her. My 1911, new vaquero, and Redhawk, all give me the best chances of survival. I'm lucky to be good with the Redhawk... it's nice being accurate with a freight train. Lol.

I do agree capacity could be critical...

Edit: I think a public shooter would be getting off too easy getting put down with a 9mm, 45acp, or 40sw. I think it's fitting they receive over 800 ft lbs as a final f-you.

it was a horrible situation to be in for sure, and luckily the person with the gun had the training to use if effectively.

I would most certainly want a gun if I had no other choice, and the options were die or try. I just dont think the odds of me winding up in a situation like that warrant the hassles of concealment. Again, only for me, and only for the time being.

I don't advocate that anyone carry that isn't prepared to deal with the responsibility that comes with it. For some, that isn't something they're prepared to do. My main point was that there are times when escape and cover are either unavailable and inadequate - either a person considers that may happen to them or that the odds are in their favor. Since I can't guess when or where it will happen (just as the folks yesterday were caught by surprise), I am motivated enough to take that next step. For those that don't choose to carry, I have no disdain, I do, however like to encourage everyone who is interested in doing so, to carry.

Why I carry: Because the skies clouded up and a loud voice said "Walk softly and carry a big stick" and I thought he said "Sig".

Seriously, I grew up next to the tracks where hobos and other vagrants would come in and cause problems. Some friends of my folks got kidnapped out of their home just a block away, tied up and driven in the trunk of their car to Arizona and never returned. A friend got knifed in the back while waiting in line for a burrito. Gangs of roaming thugs in my neighborhood (home of Mike Tyson). Kids that used to beat me up for my lunch money. The world is a dangerous place, I'm not volunteering to go bye-bye.

When people mention the need for training, I am slightly baffled. I have been shooting since I was 16. My wife grew up in a rural area where they always had firearms around. What is this lack of ability to shoot? I firmly believe that the demand for specific training of civilian defenders is something that has been jinned up. Get a handgun, some rounds, and a paper target. If you can put bullets on paper, and handle your weapon safely, you are good to go. I have the advantage of being more specifically trained during IDPA shoots. That just means I can handle multiple supposed bad guys while shooting under stress. My wife has never had formal training, but don't mess with her because she is mean and will shoot yer thingie off. Point being, most times the weapon does not even need to be fired... the mere display of a weapon is often enough. However, in the case of a determined attacker, wouldn't just being an average shot be enough "training" to at least make the attempt to put a stop to the proceedings? Just remember to make sure of the background, ie no bystanders in the direction you need to shoot, but that is basic safety.

Last Edited:
I personally mentioned lack of training as a reason I dont carry, because I don't own a handgun, and am not very good with one. That will change soon enough, with a big box of ammo and some paper targets.

Great with a rifle, but cant lug that around town.

Also, I have no idea how I would react under fire. This probably wouldn't concern me nearly as much if I had a pistol I was comfortable with though.

As for "can't lug a rifle," that's why you do what I'm doing and build a "briefcase gun" AR pistol. :) "Pistol" classification and lack of stock makes it covered by CPL, plus you still have the 5.56 or .300BLK terminal ballistics to around 300 yards with around a 10.5 barrel.

The rub is, you're gonna need to put a folding buffer tube on it and you might wanna add a Blast Deflector--and all that means you're gonna need a BIIIIG briefcase, unless you can get away with carrying a 22" duffel everywhere.

As for "can't lug a rifle," that's why you do what I'm doing and build a "briefcase gun" AR pistol. :) "Pistol" classification and lack of stock makes it covered by CPL, plus you still have the 5.56 or .300BLK terminal ballistics to around 300 yards with around a 10.5 barrel.

The rub is, you're gonna need to put a folding buffer tube on it and you might wanna add a Blast Deflector--and all that means you're gonna need a BIIIIG briefcase, unless you can get away with carrying a 22" duffel everywhere.

Well, i have an ar pistol that im very accurate and confident with, 7.5 barrel and a LAW stock, but I more so meant on the body.

I was actually think about getting a nice leather briefcase the other day though...

Given that I have to pack a laptop everywhere I go like a digital colostomy bag anyway... :eek: AND that's also with a 5" 1911 doing its kidneystone impression on one side also. The .45 is for more common threat environments, the AR is for when some Daeshbag or other terrorist decides to say "Aloha Snackbar"... of course, I've been packing thirty-plus-pound laptop cases my entire adult life so I'm used to the weight.

Im watching the congress BB game right now and the news people were talking about congressmen on both sides of the isle saying that they feel like targets and they should be able to carry their firearm across state lines if they have a CC permit in their home state.... AS WE ALL SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO!!!!

Lets hope this tragedy puts a fire under their backsides and they pass the national reciprocity law!!!

I personally mentioned lack of training as a reason I dont carry, because I don't own a handgun, and am not very good with one. That will change soon enough, with a big box of ammo and some paper targets.
Great with a rifle, but cant lug that around town.
Also, I have no idea how I would react under fire. This probably wouldn't concern me nearly as much if I had a pistol I was comfortable with though.
Take a CC Oregon qualification class. Apply for the permit, get it.
Clackamas County Sheriff CC unit, Classes
Washington County
Columbia County
Yamhill County
Multnomah County
Oregon CC class (online)
AFT Online
Keith's Sporting Goods
Fishermans Marine

(Oregon doesn't require a firing component. It's only good for Oregon.
There are multi-state classes. (Utah reqires range time) Two I especially like
<broken link removed>
Threat Dynamics
Basic, advanced handgun and carbine
540 Tactical
<broken link removed>
There are "run and gun for fun" competitions
USPSA competitions
3-Gun competitions
You don't have to know, tell em you're a noob, place last, and try getting better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top