JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Walther P99 and think it's a great gun. I carry it hunting because it's durable, weather resistant. BUT...! for shooting pleasure it's hard to beat a good single action like a Browning High Power. But it all depends on what you want to do with it.

go find someplace you can shoot several different guns. 9mm is not an acceptable hunting round for anything that doesn't walk upright.

Asking a question like this is like going to a muscle car forum and asking ford, chevy, or mopar......I dont think any major manufacturer was missed.....

XDm... I recently bought one in .40 and it's quite accurate.. I plan on buying a 9mm barrel and magazines for it in the future. If you want an accurate 9mm with high capacity (19+1), proven dependability, and a good trigger, the XDm can be an excellent choice for the money. On top of that, Springfield is tops for customer support even though I have yet to need it.

First time out:

1st25ydgroupxdm40.jpg

The deal I got for $599:

XDm40inbox.jpg

The .40 has 16+1 capacity. If you buy before the end of January you can get a form from their site. Send the form in and get two more mags, a mag holster for them, and a carrying case that matches the one for the pistol for free.

9mm is not an acceptable hunting round for anything that doesn't walk upright.

I dunno... It would be better than a sharp stick. I bet you could put a hurtin on a coyote with one! Some states allow .223 for deer hunting. While I don't advocate this policy, there are plenty of clean kills. The 9mm will work for hogs and varmints. If it was all I had I might carry one during deer season for backup.

I have owned a Ruger p89, Springfield XD9 subcompact, s&w sw9ve and just purchased a CZ 75BD yesterday. The ruger was reliable and no nonsense but real bulky, the xd9 was easy to clean, felt light but didn't like the trigger, the S&W great bang for the buck (under $350) kind of a glock clone in some ways but not great quality and weird trigger feel. I put 100 rounds through my CZ yesterday....wow! By my opinion best 9mm I have owned. Super accurate, I have smaller hands and it fits so nice, lines up so easily, nice weight for carry and feels nice... Not plastic gun. $399 with night sites in about 98% condition with two LE 16 rd mags.

Picked up a real nice Sig P226 9mm off a local and it is more accurate than I can shoot, very smooth with a great trigger. That said I am still tempted by the XDM 9mm. Dad has a 92FS but for some reason I cannot get the thing to shoot straight for me.

Too many good guns out there.

I certainly like it's looks. Just having a really hard time to justify the
9mm except for the price of practice ammo. I got into 40s and 45s
when the 9mms proved not very efffective in the most common FMJ
form. I guess with today's many improved bullets, there isn't any
reason not to own one. At times when I handle one it just itches
the back of my mind that it is a step backwards for me. Years back
before I owned one, I thought Glocks were crap. Now, at least one in
a .40 Caliber seems to be with me most places, and the 1911 A1 spends
more time on the night stand. Have not seen the FNs anywhere in my
area except pictures. From everything I have heard and been told, all
their products have been first class:s0155:

My choice for a fishing/backpacking gun is a Glock 20. The 10mm round will give better penetration than a 9mm or .45 and with bullets in the 180-200 grain range. Just another option for you to consider, although you'll probably have to buy used with a $500 budget. EAA makes the witness line in 10mm, I haven't used one myself but that should meet your budget and would be a better choice if you prefer CZ's or if you believe the Glock bashing.

I'd have to vote for the Sig too. I've owned many and nothing comes close. They are unequalled. But, they will cost you more.

There are so many choices in 9mm. If you're going to be outdoors with it a lot (hunting) you might consider Stainless (see: Sig). If it's more for plinking, the best bang for your buck would probably be a Taurus or Ruger. Personally, I've never gotten used to the composite bodies, like Glock and the newer Rugers. To each their own.

Stop by your local gun shops and pick up everything. See how they feel in your hand. Then start asking about differences (single action vs. double action, safety or no safety, etc.).

And there is nothing wrong with a revolver either. Simple to operate and powerful. I will never get rid of my SP101.

Good luck!

That settles it. You have your answer(s). :)

Just curious if your primary concern is a concealable pistol? That might help narrow down the choices quite a bit. But what is big and bulky IMO could be very concealable for someone else.

Go to a range and rent several and see what fits YOU best; SR9, Glock, XD, CZ, Beretta, Sig etc etc. There are almost too many to choose from - which is part of the fun in looking.

My only other comment is don't dismiss out of hand the idea of a surplus pistol. Someone earlier mentioned the 225/P6. Durable, quality, accurate, and single stack which (imo) helps with concealability. I don't own one, but my brother does and it is very nice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top