JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Which ounce did you have in mind?
View attachment 1845614

You've suffered long enough. The answers are

1. Both the lead and the cotton weigh the same (1 ounce = 28.35 grams). This is an avoirdupois ounce.

2. Gold. 1 troy ounce = 31.1 grams.

3. Cotton. 1 lb = 16 oz (453.6 grams), whereas 1 troy lb = 12 troy ounces (373.25 grams).

4. Water. 1 fluid ounce of water weighs 29.52 grams at room temperature.

Doncha love a quiz where an ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of cotton, but a pound of cotton weighs more than a pound of gold? Where's your inner geek? :D
I think @BillM Had the right path to answering?

FYI, lead can be weighed in Troy ounces, hence the age old riddle of alchemists trying to turn lead to gold :rolleyes:

I think @BillM Had the right path to answering?

FYI, lead can be weighed in Troy ounces, hence the age old riddle of alchemists trying to turn lead to gold :rolleyes:
The secret is Rust-Oleum
1710741076942.png

Which ounce did you have in mind?
I'm not buying that, I'm not even leasing with option to buy. :D

In this country, almost anything you weigh is measured in either metric units or avoirdupois ounces/pounds. There are exceptions, including precious metals (troy ounces or pounds), gemstones in carets, and maybe certain things measured in tons.

Some things are vaguely measured in terms of shiploads or its cousin, the bubblegum-loads. 🫢

In my house every mechanical scale measures in avoirdupois: the bathroom scale, the postage scale, and the kitchen food scale. Some of they may have dual printed measurements, avoirdupois and metric (grams).

I have several electronic weighing devices, and because they're electronic they can easily convert the measurement of force into avoirdupois, troy, grams, grains, carets, pennyweights.

The point is, if I say I have a pound of cotton it is generally understood in this country to mean an avoirdupois pound.

This got more serious than I intended, I thought this would be more fun. Hmmm, I take that back, the responses were fun! I felt like the guy at the fair who sits on a stool above a tank of water, waiting for folks to throw baseballs at the stool release! :D

I thought people would cheat and rush off to consult one of the hundreds of Internet unit conversion sites: 🤓

troy pounds to grams

They are simple to search, just "meters to feet". But nobody did that. I'm always using those, F to C, oz to g, gallon to ml, etc, even W to HP.

watts to horsepower

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top