JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a G26 that I happen to like. If this is your first handgun, a Glock can be a good way to go as it it is fairly simple to operate and manipulate. If you are hunting though, something bigger than a 9MM might be in order.

Taurus PT99 PT92 are great 9mm's and the PT100 PT101 are similar but in .40 S&W. I'd have gotten the PT101 if I hadn't opted for the XDm instead when I was looking to get a .40 S&W pistol recently. :D

I have had a PT92 9mm for over 20 years now and it's been a great shooter! :s0155:

I am fortunate in that if interest strikes me, I can buy a gun so I have now over 40 pistols and rifles. The most trouble free handguns I have are my Springfield XDs I have 4 of these and none have needed any warranty work. That may not sound like much, but I shoot my pistols quite a bit. Of the 2 Sigs which I have bought new, both needed to be returned for factory service. Of the 4 Taurus pistols I've bought new, 3 needed to be returned for factory service (one shot so high, it was unusable-the tech said it was the barrel which was replaced).

So....based on this small sample I'd suggest a Springfield XD....But....Glock is also extremely reliable and they have an outstanding warranty (they seem to extend their warranty to each owner, not just the original which Springfield limit's their warranty to).

Any how, this is my experience such as it is.....

Oh and btw, I agree about the Taurus PT92 (The "original" Beretta 92) it's the one Taurus which I have never sent back, and has has a few thousand rounds fired....

Go rent several at the range and see what you like shooting. Regardless of which guns people think are the "best", if you don't like shooting them, it doesn't really matter. For example, Sigs are outstanding guns, but I don't like the transition from double-action to single-action shooting (and I don't like their DAO models) - so, I got something else.

Despite what's been posted on here, I wouldn't avoid a Glock in 9mm. I've had one (G19) for years w/o any problems; many others have the same experience. Go give one a try.

Other guns I'd look at: S&W's M&P series, Springfield's XD series, Beretta's M9/92FS series, Sig 226/229, Kel-Tec PF9. Try them all and decide which one works best for you (both in terms of shooting and budget). They all have plusses and minuses to them, but are, for the most part, decent guns.

You'll also want to think about whether you want a full-size gun or a compact model. Many of the series I listed above have different frame/barrel sizes. If you're just using this for some range time and to investigate bumps-in-the-night, I'd suggest a full-size as these can be easier to shoot. If you're not going to carry, I wouldn't go with a compact gun (unless you like the way it feels/shoots).

Let us know what you try, what you think of them and what you get.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.

I ended up buying a Ruger P94 because I got a good deal on it, it was a few boxes of ammo cheaper than an SR9, and had a better trigger. I tried a two other P series Rugers on the same day and their triggers were not as nice as the gun I eventually purchased -- luck of the draw?

A full-size Baby Eagle. I recently traded my compact BE for a snow blade for my quad, a tilt trailer for my quad a $100 cash - yes I came out ahead in that deal but I do miss my Baby Eagle but if I get another it will be the full size. I would also like to find a 4th generation Bersa in 9mm. I own two Bersas now (a recent trade for an M83 in .380) and it is an incredibly well-made, nicely finished gun.

Don't know what took out that Glock pictured, but ya can blow up
about anything including a 1911. Rechambering a round until the
bullet moves rearward in it's case will do such a blow up when the
pressures raise in a partial unsupported case. Glocks that are stock
do not handle lead well, due to the type of rifling. However a Lone
Wolf drop in barrel changes this.
If cost of ammo is not a big consideration, the 40 or 45 would be
my pick. Although I have a choice of several wheel guns in 38 cals,
I find myself mostly carry a Glock 27 or 22 in 40 S&W. Once in a while
my 1911A1.
I suppose with the right bullets 9mm is OK. My Marines in sand
country are not impressed with them, and issue FMJ. No clue why
NY has function problems with their Glocks, as I haven't heard LEOs
in this neck of woods want to go for something else. I believe in the
70s they used 9mm Glocks, but the caliber of the day and has been,
and for awhile is the 40s.

hey snowdriver...im selling my sr9 if you are interested...would save you probably like 100 bucks. i would love a sig too but i also dont have like 600+. mines selling for 350. if you dont decide the sr9 i love the steyr m9-a1.
mike

I have a sig p229R in 9mm and I LOVE it. Its scary accurate right out of the box, and it feels great.

Its different for everyone, which is why you should always test guns before you buy them, but the p229 feels like an extension of my body. If I can, its my first choice for carry (depending on the outfit, sometimes I switch to my sig p230).

I'm not a 9mm fan but did shoot a fellow investigator's Glock-19 awhile back, very impressed for performance vs. price.
If I had to buy a '9 or two, the first one would probably be the G19.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top