JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of they guys in my elk hunting group has to have the newest and the best thing out there, last year it was a custom 30 nosler with a nightforce. He missed 1 bull and lost another.....I took 1 shot with my ruger american in 270 with a burris scope and put meat in my freezer
And then there's the kid with the cheap, yellow fiberglass hand-me-down rod that out fishes the guy that looks like he stepped out of a Simms catalog.
Same all over.....it's the Indian.

One of they guys in my elk hunting group has to have the newest and the best thing out there, last year it was a custom 30 nosler with a nightforce. He missed 1 bull and lost another.....I took 1 shot with my ruger american in 270 with a burris scope and put meat in my freezer
For several years Ive hunted elk with my 25-06. The only people who've ribbed me over the years were other hunters and new hunting friends..... in my elk camp Ive taken the most bulls all one shot kills. I have a 280ai for elk now but still tempted to hunt with the ol quarterbore.

FWIW its with Velzey getting the throat lengthened for longer bullets ;)

The thing about hunting distances is the CM, and any of the new cartridges, does not do anything significantly better than cartridges from 100 years ago. That really just puts it in the same catagory of cartridges with similar bullet diameters, bullet weights and muzzle velocities.

The thing about hunting distances is the CM, and any of the new cartridges, does not do anything significantly better than cartridges from 100 years ago. That really just puts it in the same catagory of cartridges with similar bullet diameters, bullet weights and muzzle velocities.
I don't think Creedmoor was designed to be a hunting cartridge, initially.
Which begs the question, why would Hornady invest in such a cartridge ?

Hunting distance is different for everyone. I rarely shoot past 300 yards, yet I have friends that shoot well over a mile.

Too many people poop on this cartridge but have never shot it. To me I use this for long range (1,000) and in with a heavy precision rifle. You can usually spot your splash and shots because of the light recoil. I also have dropped a few deer with it no problem. I know there are many different cartridges for different tasks, but it works for me just fine for target practice and hunting applications. Overall I rate it a 7/10 for a short action target shooting. If you shoot a lot you know the bullets get smaller and faster from there on. My 6cm is my overall first choice for long range precision shooting. Nothing is wrong with the tried and true cartridges we grew up shooting, they still work great and it comes down to what you are the most confident in using.

Good luck and keep on slinging lead.

I got 22-250 Sav. 30-30 Win 30-40Krag .243Win 308Win 30-06Sprg .35 Whelen and 45-70 I put the 6.5 Creedmore in the category of "Stuff I don't have a use for"

From what I'm observing, the trend in new calibers is to push the same bullet diameter faster with less effort. That means more efficient case/chamber designs in possibly smaller action. That results in flatter trajectories and better wind deflection. How the bullet performs on game once it gets there is another subject for the bullet makers.

From what I'm observing, the trend in new calibers is to push the same bullet diameter faster with less effort. That means more efficient case/chamber designs in possibly smaller action. That results in flatter trajectories and better wind deflection. How the bullet performs on game once it gets there is another subject for the bullet makers.
I dug up this little summary on the 6.5 Creedmoor and its history :

Yes...but does it really matter....?
Dead is dead...
And it don't matter to the game animal , who doesn't read ballistic charts if it was killed by an :
Arrow..
Lead round ball..
Or the latest bullet in the latest caliber.
All will serve if you do your part and shoot and hunt within your limitations.

And yes...I understand that certain projectiles can further your limitations...
But...can you hunt and shoot well enough to make use of those stretched limitations...?

Please note that I am not bashing one cartridge over another...
It makes no difference to me what you hunt or shoot with.
What does matter ...is that one hunts with what works for them...and for the game they hunt , where they hunt.
Andy

Last Edited:
Yes...but does it really matter....?
Dead is dead...
And it don't matter to the game animal , who doesn't read ballistic charts if it was killed by an :
Arrow..
Lead round ball..
Or the latest bullet in the latest caliber.
All will serve if you do your part and shoot and hunt within your limitations.

And yes...I understand that certain projectiles can further your limitations...
But...can you hunt and shoot well enough to make use of those stretched limitations...?

Please note that I am not bashing one cartridge over another...
It makes no difference to me what you hunt or shoot with.
What does matter ...is that one hunts with what works for them...and for the game they hunt , where they hunt.
Andy
You may like this one Andy. Skip to 12:02 mark where Ron Spomer compares the new 8.6 Blackout (subsonic) to a 50 cal muzzloaelder. Everything old is new again ha ha.

You may like this one Andy. Skip to 12:02 mark where Ron Spomer compares the new 8.6 Blackout (subsonic) to a 50 cal muzzloaelder. Everything old is new again ha ha.

Daniel Boone...David Crockett...and Kit Carson are all as lost as a brand new Lieutenant with a map and compass ...
With all the Ballistic talk.....:D
Andy

I don't think Creedmoor was designed to be a hunting cartridge, initially.
Which begs the question, why would Hornady invest in such a cartridge ?
There is not as much money in hunting cartridges. An overwhelming majority of hunters only shoot a handful of rounds per year. Few reload. Many are wary of new cartridges that become obsolete.

Competition shooters burn through tons of bullets and brass. They also tend to reload to get better accuracy. Many ride waves of new cartridges thinking it will give them an edge.

I think the popularity of CM took off because around the same time a interest to shoot long distance ballooned.

That's just crazy talk!
Yep...and Ozzy said I could be the conductor of the Crazy Train... :D
Andy
200.gif

Hunting distance is different for everyone. I rarely shoot past 300 yards, yet I have friends that shoot well over a mile.
Every deer and elk I've taken have been well within 100 yards. I should be a handgun hunter. :)
I got 22-250 Sav. 30-30 Win 30-40Krag .243Win 308Win 30-06Sprg .35 Whelen and 45-70 I put the 6.5 Creedmore in the category of "Stuff I don't have a use for"
I wouldn't say you don't have a use for it, but since you have a 243 already, the Creed really won't give you much of an upgrade in any useable way. Between the 243 and the 308 you have those bases covered.
There is not as much money in hunting cartridges.
The 350 Legend and the 360 Buckhammer contradict the quoted sentence. However the rest of the newer cartridges sure seem to be designed and marketed with a long range target intent first, adapted to hunting second.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top