JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love to grouse hunt ...and go every year.
Unfortunately I am no where near you.

Old logging roads are a great place for grouse.
Look for areas that have a bit of clear space...but cover for them to fly to nearby.
Grouse love to eat...seeds , insects , berries , fir catkins / spruce tips....

Are there any old logging areas near you...?
Andy

I love to grouse hunt ...and go every year.
Unfortunately I am no where near you.

Old logging roads are a great place for grouse.
Look for areas that have a bit of clear space...but cover for them to fly to nearby.
Grouse love to eat...seeds , insects , berries , fir catkins / spruce tips....

Are there any old logging areas near you...?
Andy
Yes up near molalla or estacada.

My smart azzery aside, Our season starts Sept 1st so be sure you get you upland bird stamp before then. Honestly you need to get away from the big metro area to get away from the other hunters. Any road you can drive down so can anyone else. Stay out from behind the locked gates, getting caught back there can be a hefty fine. One thing you might look at is a logging company permit, I know Werehouser has them and other private timber companies might as well. When I lived up there 30 years ago I had good luck between Hagg Lake and Tillamook Also between Vernoina and Scappoose. Both way back in the steep and deep. I was tiring to think if I've ever shot a Grouse in the cascades and think I might have but mostly in the coast range.

Look for grouse walking on abandoned logging roads and forest roads that are on top of ridges....
Not very many near Portland but sometimes I see them.

Head to nearest state or national forest and get towards ridges. I find a decent amount elk hunting. Usually at the end of grassed over logging roads. Most people will be a bit tight lipped on where to go as the grouse tend to return to similar spots year after year.

Looks like it's going to be a banner year for grouse. I was all over the Willamette National Forest on Sunday, doing a little scouting/shed hunting. I think it was a new one-day record for me. I saw 18 grouse. Many of them were young 'uns.

havent seen any grouse in Portland area. also not a great idea to discharge a firearm in Portland.

however I hunt grouse and quail on the logging roads molalla hills or hilllock berm road mt hood foothills.
pretty much any logging roads right after a rain storm brings out the quail and grouse. i generally hunt them while i hunt deer. i also tend to hunt rabbit at same time too.

havent seen any grouse in Portland area. also not a great idea to discharge a firearm in Portland.

however I hunt grouse and quail on the logging roads molalla hills or hilllock berm road mt hood foothills.
pretty much any logging roads right after a rain storm brings out the quail and grouse. i generally hunt them while i hunt deer. i also tend to hunt rabbit at same time too.
Thanks I appreciate the tip. Maybe I should have said Willamette Valley area. You're not the first to caution me about shooting in or going to Portland. Never had any plans of doing either.

Just like the title says. Looking for grouse hunting locations near Portland. I'm new to hunting and need somewhere close to PDX area. Anyone grouse hunt? Where do you go?
When I lived in Portland/Gresham years ago. The best place for me is up at Mt. Hood. Goto Mt. Hood Meadows and walk at the upper edge of the timberline. You will find the Blues up there. Usually up in trees. For ruffle In the summer when the huckleberry's are ripe. Goto. Timberline lodge. Get on a mountain bike and take the old highway Down when the sun starts hitting the road. There is plenty of spots to stop and kick some grouse up. They are usually sunning on the road picking up gravel or bugs. Those are mostly ruffle grouse. You will be into them for sure.

When I lived in Portland/Gresham years ago. The best place for me is up at Mt. Hood. Goto Mt. Hood Meadows and walk at the upper edge of the timberline. You will find the Blues up there. Usually up in trees. For ruffle In the summer when the huckleberry's are ripe. Goto. Timberline lodge. Get on a mountain bike and take the old highway Down when the sun starts hitting the road. There is plenty of spots to stop and kick some grouse up. They are usually sunning on the road picking up gravel or bugs. Those are mostly ruffle grouse. You will be into them for sure.
Thanks for the info!

Think like a grouse, they need grit for their crops, so gravel roads and along creeks, they also need to get warm in the morning, so along a sunny ridge is a good call.

They like to eat bugs and berries in the last warm afternoons of the fall. So if you can find a place where there may be hoppers and or berry bushes, you could kick a few up. Having a dog to roust them up would be a huge help
Doesn't need a pedigree, just a nose and the desire to find the bird.

Put on a blaze orange cap this time of year, maybe a blaze orange kerchief for your dog too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top