JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a world of difference between shooting off a bench under controlled conditions at a rifle range...
Versus shooting in the field under hunting conditions.

A good bench shooter does not automatically translate to a good field shooter,
Andy

There is a world of difference between shooting off a bench under controlled conditions at a rifle range...
Than when shooting in the field under hunting conditions.

A good bench shooter does not automatically translate to a good field shooter,
Andy
There is very little adrenaline flowing when I am shooting targets. 😁

Lots of animals get lost to this skilled long range marksman! I'm not bashing the real long range guys, just the wannabes
The vast majority of hunters are wannabe long range hunters. Along comes the new creedmore designed for competition shooting now sold in hunting rifles and suddenly everyones a long range hunter now.

The vast majority of hunters are wannabe long range hunters. Along comes the new creedmore designed for competition shooting now sold in hunting rifles and suddenly everyones a long range hunter now.
I have seen this behavior all too often, even before the Creedmoor arrived on the scene. When Remington came out with the "Ultra Mags", guys would show up at the local gun club for our annual sight in service. "Where ya going hunting?" "Gonna head over to eastern Oregon and whack an elk at 1000 yards!". From the looks of those sight-in targets, not so much. But then again, in Montana I have seen a bunch of hunters pile out of trucks at the sight of 50 Antelope on the prairie and just start blazing away at some pretty crazy distances. If an animal does happen to get hit (a rarity) the hunters then look around and realize the property is posted, and they ain't supposed to be doing that. Pile back in the truck and put some dust and gravel between them and the scene of the crime.

Check reviews before buying. Ive read some really bad reviews on BCA.

Unless you custom build or buy a high end upper assembly it will never compare to the accuracy potential of a bolt gun. The real question to ask is what is the precision you'd like to get out of your AR?
I took the plunge and bought a LaRue 6.5cm on the AR platform. Consistent .35 MOA, but it ain't cheap! Crazy fun to shoot.

I have seen this behavior all too often, even before the Creedmoor arrived on the scene.
That's true, I've heard the same stories over the years... hunters lobbing rounds hoping to connect.
I should try to not be so critical but cant help it. We all want to fill the tag and its tempting to try a long shot on a trophy animal. But in my efforts to learn to shoot farther, has only humbled me in how difficult it is. Hats off to the guys that can, but I wont take a shot I haven't perfected in practice.

That's true, I've heard the same stories over the years... hunters lobbing rounds hoping to connect.
I should try to not be so critical but cant help it. We all want to fill the tag and its tempting to try a long shot on a trophy animal. But in my efforts to learn to shoot farther, has only humbled me in how difficult it is. Hats off to the guys that can, but I wont take a shot I haven't perfected in practice.
It was about thirty years ago, and I was still living in Montana. My two old hunting pals and I were out for a last hunt on the Madison River country, Thanksgiving weekend. Driving up a Forest Service road in the Gravelly Range, we noticed a lone cow Elk standing off in the snow grazing, maybe 800 yards off. We glassed it for awhile, and decided to see if we could drive closer. After several stops and more glassing, we all thought there was something not quite right. We finally got out of the truck and started creeping up on it. Finally figured it was a decoy! We walked up to it, and started to take pictures of ourselves with it. Then the Game Warden came boiling out of the trees, and boy was he LIVID! It is against the law to tamper with, shoot at or destroy decoys, so the Warden said he was citing us for tampering. Wrote up the tickets and we all followed him to the Justice of the Peace in Virginia City. (Justice does get served up pretty quick there). When the JOP asked our side of the story, we just told him we were taking pictures and posing with the decoy. He asked the warden if we ever shot at it, and he replied in the negative. "Looks to me like these fellows did a pretty good job of game identification" he says to the Warden, then he chuckled and set us loose, all charges dismissed. That being said, I do know a guy that shot a decoy, and he was one that REALLY should have known better, a Hunter Safety instructor. He still instructs, but he has to include that little episode in his classes. 🤣

I think the popularity of CM took off because around the same time a interest to shoot long distance ballooned.
I agree and would add, especially long distance target shooting became popular.
That is where these newer cartridges excel, hitting a target at very long distance (primarily bench-rest style).
It depends on what your personal goal is when deciding if there is an advantage to shooting a CM or variant.
I prefer to minimize wounding and not capturing any animal I am hunting and the odds of that occurring rise as the distance increases and the bullet size decreases. When hunting game animals, my answer is there is not an improvement with CM in getting a clean kill over classic hunting calibers.
If long distance target shooting, especially during a competition, than yes I want any improvement I can get.

Daniel Boone...David Crockett...and Kit Carson are all as lost as a brand new Lieutenant with a map and compass ...
With all the Ballistic talk.....:D
Andy
I would think that they would have a better understanding of thier rifles trajectory than the average shooter does today.

I would think that they would have a better understanding of thier rifles trajectory than the average shooter does today.
Yes...However...they probably wouldn't have expressed their thoughts the way the fella did in the video...
Which was what I was trying to point out.

I understand trajectory very well with my Hawken Rifle and my favorite .22 Rifle....
It is far easier for me to show you , by shooting...than by using ballistic terms that I don't really know , care to know , etc...
I expect that is how , Boone , Crockett and Carson would feel as well.
Andy

Yes...However...they probably wouldn't have expressed their thoughts the way the fella did in the video...
Which was what I was trying to point out.

I understand trajectory very well with my Hawken Rifle and my favorite .22 Rifle....
It is far easier for me to show you , by shooting...than by using ballistic terms that I don't really know , care to know , etc...
I expect that is how , Boone , Crockett and Carson would feel as well.
Andy
Not sure the terms existed when they did.

The only ballistic terms Ron Spomer talked about in that portion of the video were: drop, wind drift, and energy (at different distances). I could almost guarantee that any shooter/hunter shooting at various ranges at almost any time in history knows those concepts (although they may not use the same terms necessarily). They may well not quantify it at all because they know by experience therefore no need really.

Fe they may know to hold at certain place to hit their longer target and that their gun is powerful enough to get the job done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top