JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know the chart is flawed (particularly for "hogs") but based on Ron Spomer's article on 6.5 CM I'm guessing it would fall somewhere between .243 and .270?

8FB427EA-27AF-4421-B782-6EEBB87864D2.jpeg

I think of it as a Gucci caliber, and would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. If you can't shoot a 308 due to the recoil then you're a puthy. Man up and shoot a Man's caliber. :s0026::s0124::s0140:

Disclaimer: I do not, nor have I ever owned anything that has the Gucci name on it. :s0002:

300blk isn't on the list either, but it sure as heck works. I probably wouldn't use that round much past 100 yards on deer, but for the densely treed areas I hunt I'm not in long range scenarios often. Beats the socks of hauling around my Sako 7mm rem mag too.

20231228_215329.jpg

As to the original post... I've read the creedmoor most often being compared to the 308, but much flatter shooting. However, I'm not sure I'd be willing to go after elk with a creedmoor. Especially at distance. I feel like I'd put the creedmoor between the 300 savage and the 25-06.

Last Edited:
Bullet design / performance is a consideration with any projectile.

A well placed shot...along with the appropriate style of projectile suited to the task...will get you the results you want...
No matter what caliber , sales hype or what some ballistic chart tells you.
Andy

As I understand it, the 6.5 Creedmoor was a collaboration between Ron Reiber of Hornady, and Dennis DeMille of Creedmoor Sports. DeMille wanted a new cartridge for across the course service rifle competition that would function in the AR-10 platform. He envisioned a cartridge with milder recoil and better ballistics than the traditional .308 / 7.62. The Creedmoor also outshined the already available 6.5 Grendel.

Given I am already a devotee of the 6.5x55 Swede, I looked over the ballistics of the Creedmoor, and it's essentially "Six of one, Half a dozen of the other", the Creedmoor being in a short action platform. Five years ago I did buy a Creedmoor, in a deal that was too good to pass up. I came across a Bergara B-14 Light Hunter. The rifle itself was sweet with a very smooth action, and fantastic barrel, and it was handy to carry. And it was accurate. I never got to take big game with it, but I did have fun whacking a few coyotes at around 300 yards in Montana one summer. I eventually sold the rifle to a nephew.

Back to the old Swede. For many years, the metric system of bullets just didn't sit well here in the states with the exception on the "7's" . With the advent of that newfangled Creedmoor round, everyone got on that wagon, and bullets started being made for it. That in turn made loading and hunting with the Swede much more rewarding. The Swede is a very effective round on deer and Elk, as I can attest to. I can't imagine the Creedmoor being any less effective, and both rifles should be used at reasonable hunting distances. I just like the mystique of hunting with a cartridge developed in 1894.

As I understand it, the 6.5 Creedmoor was a collaboration between Ron Reiber of Hornady, and Dennis DeMille of Creedmoor Sports. DeMille wanted a new cartridge for across the course service rifle competition that would function in the AR-10 platform. He envisioned a cartridge with milder recoil and better ballistics than the traditional .308 / 7.62. The Creedmoor also outshined the already available 6.5 Grendel.

Given I am already a devotee of the 6.5x55 Swede, I looked over the ballistics of the Creedmoor, and it's essentially "Six of one, Half a dozen of the other", the Creedmoor being in a short action platform. Five years ago I did buy a Creedmoor, in a deal that was too good to pass up. I came across a Bergara B-14 Light Hunter. The rifle itself was sweet with a very smooth action, and fantastic barrel, and it was handy to carry. And it was accurate. I never got to take big game with it, but I did have fun whacking a few coyotes at around 300 yards in Montana one summer. I eventually sold the rifle to a nephew.

Back to the old Swede. For many years, the metric system of bullets just didn't sit well here in the states with the exception on the "7's" . With the advent of that newfangled Creedmoor round, everyone got on that wagon, and bullets started being made for it. That in turn made loading and hunting with the Swede much more rewarding. The Swede is a very effective round on deer and Elk, as I can attest to. I can't imagine the Creedmoor being any less effective, and both rifles should be used at reasonable hunting distances. I just like the mystique of hunting with a cartridge developed in 1894.
That reminds me I remember in some Ron Spomer videos he said many times that the "new" 6.5 Creedmoor was almost the same as 6.5 x 55 Swede.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top