JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive heard what the CM did right was throat the chambers longer for longer higher BC bullets.... something the 6.5x55 Swede already did what like 100yrs ago which is what made it famously accurate and deadly. Longer bullets also have better straight line penetration in large game which also made the swede famous for larger elk... and the CM is doing the same.
A longer throat is definitely important.

Some of 'em really get wound when you refer to it as a 6 and a half Manbun. Some folks just don't have a sense of humor.
And there's those that can't see a mention of it without the standard put-down responses. Some say tomato, I say F it. :D

This size projectile seems to be having ongoing innovations.
If I were considering buying a rifle with characteristics similar to a 6.5 CM, I would also review a 6.5 PRC. It has approximately 30% more space in the cartridge for additional powder, resulting in an even flatter shooting projectile with higher velocity than the Creedmoor.
The trade-off being more recoil.
I believe that Weatherby has also recently introduced a 6.5 variant.

A longer throat is definitely important.
It is and thats not something that most traditional American calibers have done even today. The CM got this right from the start and hopefully it will start a trend but not that we need more new calibers we really just need to start throating new rifles in the traditional calibers with a longer throat and in some cases a faster twist rate.

This size projectile seems to be having ongoing innovations.
If I were considering buying a rifle with characteristics similar to a 6.5 CM, I would also review a 6.5 PRC. It has approximately 30% more space in the cartridge for additional powder, resulting in an even flatter shooting projectile with higher velocity than the Creedmoor.
The trade-off being more recoil.
I believe that Weatherby has also recently introduced a 6.5 variant.
From what I understand the PRCs are taking off on what the CM started and getting some flatter ballistics with more energy and velocity.
The trade off is more recoil and less barrel life in faster velocities. (Not a big deal to me. )

And there's those that can't see a mention of it without the standard put-down responses. Some say tomato, I say F it. :D
The hate on the CM is just dumb now but to each their own.
The manbun jokes are funny though and great gun culture entertainment. I did have to back off on the manbun jokes with a buddy though I think I overdid it ... lol :p

What if your neighbors wife is really hot tho?
...asking for a friend.

lol
Well, there are always exceptions.

1703881228385.png

Same as 6.5x55..so with a good bullet an someone that can actually shoot.. Scandinavian moose worthy.
Ditto - the 6.5x55 has been taking moose for well over a hundred years. It would not be my first choice for elk or anything that could kill me before it dies.

Just had Vezley build me a 6.5x55 on a 1903-a3. Very nice rifle - need to do some load work ups on it. I am not a fan of the CM. Push the two at the same presuures in a modern rifle and the swede will walk away from the CM. Comparing a CM in a new rifle to a swede in a 100 year old rifle seems one sided to me. The swede has a larger powder capacity.

Just had Vezley build me a 6.5x55 on a 1903-a3. Very nice rifle - need to do some load work ups on it. I am not a fan of the CM. Push the two at the same presuures in a modern rifle and the swede will walk away from the CM. Comparing a CM in a new rifle to a swede in a 100 year old rifle seems one sided to me. The swede has a larger powder capacity.
No doubt and totally agree with you, but pray tell, where can I find 6.5x55 Swede magazines for my AR-10? :s0093:

:s0108:

Ive heard what the CM did right was throat the chambers longer for longer higher BC bullets.... something the 6.5x55 Swede already did what like 100yrs ago which is what made it famously accurate and deadly. Longer bullets also have better straight line penetration in large game which also made the swede famous for larger elk... and the CM is doing the same.
It's not so much about the throat, although that's important.
It's about the shoulder location and the "headroom" it allows. That's why Creedmoor exists.
The competition shooters needed more headroom for their "long heavies" and Creedmoor has it.
Creedmoor is like a .260 Rem that went to college, got booksmart and then went out and applied it in the field.

It's not so much about the throat, although that's important.
It's about the shoulder location and the "headroom" it allows. That's why Creedmoor exists.
The competition shooters needed more headroom for their "long heavies" and Creedmoor has it.
Creedmoor is like a .260 Rem that went to college, got booksmart and then went out and applied it in the field.
Just more things the CM got right out of the gate.
IMO the CM basically is a new cartridge incorporating what PO Ackley standardized. The improved shoulder is also a huge benefit.
Possibly what a 260ai would be....

Im not certain what "headroom" is but my guess is more case neck to hold onto longer bullets.

Just more things the CM got right out of the gate.
IMO the CM basically is a new cartridge incorporating what PO Ackley standardized. The improved shoulder is also a huge benefit.
[/QUOTE]
Anything "Ackley Improved" is going to have a 40 degree shoulder.
Creedmoor has a 30 degree shoulder.
Possibly what a 260ai would be....
[/QUOTE]
260 Rem has the shoulder in the wrong place.
Im not certain what "headroom" is but my guess is more case neck to hold onto longer bullets.
[/QUOTE]
"Headroom" is the ability to seat a long heavy bullet in the prime location (not sticking way into the case) and still be able to feed without single loading.
This principle is what most all of the new precision cartridges are based on.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top