JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know a good spot to get some beef and pork fat for sausages? I tried a spot out in Hillsboro but they want $5 per lb for beef fat. I was hoping to find something cheaper than pork butt and brisket from Cash n carry.

Does anyone know a good spot to get some beef and pork fat for sausages? I tried a spot out in Hillsboro but they want $5 per lb for beef fat. I was hoping to find something cheaper than pork butt and brisket from Cash n carry.
Ran into the same thing. Bought pork belly (uncured bacon).
Also saved all the fat from my Xmas roast.
You could use lard too.

White's Country Meats US 26 in Gresham just past the Fred Meyers if you arte on that side of town. I like them for some things and Gartner's for others. Both make outstanding sausage and should be able to provide quality fat. White's in general is usually more crowded.

Go to a fred Meyers and nicely ask the guy or gal behind the counter. I did this to make sausage once. Guy came back with a foam shrink wrapped package of fat trimmings. The label said $0.25 I think. Guy said don't worry about it, stuff usually gets thrown away.

No idea if this is common thing, or the guy was super nice and didn't care.

Thanks. I got a few lbs from my holiday roast but will give Gartner's and Whites a try to get the rest.
Fat aside, here is the thing about Gartner's and White's: The first time you go into one of them you will think that one must surely be the better of the two; that there is no possible way the other one could be as good or better. Then you try the other one and learn you were wrong.

There are things at each I prefer over the other, but everything they have is outstanding. Both will bend over backwards to take care of you. Gartner's is aesthetically nicer, White's is utilitarian.

Don't go into Gartner's without perusing the bacon section. The ring sausage is over the top. It's all good, and usually laid back,

White's jalapeno summer sausage, boneless beef ribs, hot dog and sausage variety and those dam teriyaki sticks get me every time. They will be crowded and busy as hell, but will have a gang of staff behind the counter to take care of you.

Thanks for your help everyone. I struck out at Freddy's and an Asian market today, but you can order fat from New Seasons for pretty cheap. They use well raised animals too so you are getting pretty good quality fat too.

As far as venison sausage, jerky and pepperoni, I prefer Ebner's in Canby, especially compared to the venison pepperoni from Gartner's. The summer sausage from White's was very close to what Ebner's makes. Ebner's may be another option for buying fat, but I don't know. Worth a call.

Another possibility would be The Wurst Market in Gladstone. It was known as The Sausage Kitchen for years.

As far as venison sausage, jerky and pepperoni, I prefer Ebner's in Canby, especially compared to the venison pepperoni from Gartner's. The summer sausage from White's was very close to what Ebner's makes. Ebner's may be another option for buying fat, but I don't know. Worth a call.

Another possibility would be The Wurst Market in Gladstone. It was known as The Sausage Kitchen for years.
Gartners. We live 5 min from them. Way back I used to take salmon/steelhead for them to smoke. We used to buy a ham and other cured meats to send family at Christmas. When you spent something like $75.00-$100.00 they would throw in a 3# elk/deer sausage that, I guess, they made from scrap/trim that hunters didn't want? Damn man, that was good stuff!

Fat is different that the FAT. It all depends where is comes from. FAT trimmings versus back pig fat is big diff.r
what FAT do you want exactly?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top