JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I casually target shoot and I'm familiar with firearms and firearms safety. However, I've never been hunting and I have zero knowledge in that area.

I'd like to start hunting small game in order to learn...rabbits, squirrels, etc. Planning on getting a .22 rifle (a 10/22 most likely) to start out.

My very first questions relate to the licensing requirements for hunting and where one can legally hunt.
- Do you need to be an Oregon resident to get a license?
- Do you even need a license for small game?
- If so, is there required training and a background check?
- What are the actual steps in getting a license and is there anything required beyond that?
- Once you're legally able to hunt, where can you hunt? Where are some good places to hunt small game in Oregon relatively near the Portland metro area?

I did see these 2 threads, so will definitely scan them for info:

Yes, you need a license.
Get the license, get the regulations and read them. Go hunt.

You can do it all online at odfw website. They even have an interactive map showing where to go for each species.

Youll need to get some forest maps to take with you. Be certain to know public land boundaries.

Yes you will need a license.
Depending on your age...you may also need to pass the Hunter Safety Course.
( born in 1973 or later ...)

Small game is a great way to start and learn about hunting...
I have been hunting for years and small game , along with grouse hunting is my favorite.
Andy

Last Edited:
Yes you will need a license.
Depending on your age...you may also need to pass the Hunter Safety Course.
( born in 1973 or later ...)

Small game is a great way to start and learn about hunting...
I have been hunting for years ad small game , along with grouse hunting is my favorite.
Andy
I wouldn't have to take the Hunter Safety course, but there's a part of me that wants to anyways. I'd probably benefit from the information.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top