JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honey is a great sugar substitute as it literally never goes bad.
Honey crystallizes. And it has a flavor that doesn't go with everything. Sugar is a much better substitute for honey than the reverse.

Salt, pepper, and spices are essential. Food doesn't taste very good without them. Cooking oil too. Slab bacon, lard, butter, olive oil. (Assuming cool weather) The latter also makes good hand lotion and lip balm.

Honey crystallizes. And it has a flavor that doesn't go with everything. Sugar is a much better substitute for honey than the reverse.

Salt, pepper, and spices are essential. Food doesn't taste very good without them. Cooking oil too. Slab bacon, lard, butter, olive oil. (Assuming cool weather) The latter also makes good hand lotion and lip balm.
honey also has antibiotic properties and has been used for such since the ancient Egyptians figured it out.

Honey crystallizing is no big deal, just warm it up gently and its good as new. Salt and spices are very important, black pepper used to trade for its weight in gold. Whole economies were based on salt.

Never cared about most 'use by' dates. Especially canned foods kept in a reasonable environment. Found a can of tuna from 1981 the other day. Tasty! Probably healthier, pre-Japanese Pacific radiation also and more mercuries and other crap.

Funny, I was just reading since the country opened up that there is a shortage in some areas of booze... :s0093:

Take a labor shortage involving a lack of truck drivers, dock workers, and warehouse employees, then shake that up with backed up docks, slower manufacturing processes and more expensive raw materials, and you get a quick lesson in how supply chain economics is having a direct impact on small businesses all over the U.S. Everything from the labor market and the sudden re-opening of bars to a lack of glass bottles and aluminum cans is blamed for liquor shortages reported in Winooski, Vermont; Durham, North Carolina; and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. -Forbes

Last Edited:
Funny, I was just reading since the country opened up that there is a shortage in some areas of booze... :s0093:

Take a labor shortage involving a lack of truck drivers, dock workers, and warehouse employees, then shake that up with backed up docks, slower manufacturing processes and more expensive raw materials, and you get a quick lesson in how supply chain economics is having a direct impact on small businesses all over the U.S. Everything from the labor market and the sudden re-opening of bars to a lack of glass bottles and aluminum cans is blamed for liquor shortages reported in Winooski, Vermont; Durham, North Carolina; and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. -Forbes
A lot of distilleries used their stills for making alcohol for hand sanitizer during the scamdemic. That coupled with the lack of transport could cause a brief shortage to some areas.

So Palantir, the company that works with big big data analytics, just bought 51 million in gold to protect against a "Black Swan" event. They say they will take gold as payment.

Black swan events are characterized by their extreme rarity, severe impact, and the widespread insistence they were obvious in hindsight.​
Fed reverse repos are still at a Trillion a day.

all good right? nothing to see here? No world economy collapse anytime soon?

So Palantir, the company that works with big big data analytics, just bought 51 million in gold to protect against a "Black Swan" event. They say they will take gold as payment.

Black swan events are characterized by their extreme rarity, severe impact, and the widespread insistence they were obvious in hindsight.​
Fed reverse repos are still at a Trillion a day.

all good right? nothing to see here? No world economy collapse anytime soon?
Fiat economies are intricately woven houses of cards. Always have been.

Too big to fail is a fallacy.

One of my hobbies is mushroom hunting and amateur study.

You can eat them, but it requires a pretty lengthy process to strip it of the ibotenic acid (not the psychedelic component, but that is stripped in the process as well, as it's water soluble). If you have an amanita muscaria you want to boil it in at least three changes of water, i.e. boil, drain, add new water. The colour will drain from the cap, and it will become very pale throughout and is then entirely edible. I've never tried this myself, but it is common practice for those who eat them frequently.

They are incredibly common here in the PNW and I have a ton of pictures of them. Green and blue ones are more uncommon than the typical red and orange ones. The psychedelic components (muscimol, as opposed to psilocybin). It also has high levels of ibotenic acid which is what typically makes people sick when they eat them as it's mildly toxic and causes digestive upset. It isn't recommended for people who want a trip as it has affects more in line with barbiturates and dissociatives and is frequently known as a "bad trip". One of the main affects is "Alice in Wonderland syndrome" where you lose sense of size and scale, and it is wildly uncomfortable.

If you eat one, even on accident and it is certainly a muscaria, you're safe. It takes a pretty fair amount to experience any of the psychedelic effects.

View attachment 982743 View attachment 982744
I had a friend in high school moved here when he was 15 from Cali., he was a hippy type. We went to seaside for spring break one year got our party on and he found a mushroom he thought it was cool looking and threw it in his truck. Couple days later curiosity got the best of him and he ate the bassturd and fried balls for days in the hospital seeing demons. He was never the same...and turned his life over to Christ. Last I saw him he was a solid dude doing well. Somebody upstairs had plans for him I guess.
As for what I'd trade? I have two skills I think would come in handy, but I also have a few things I think I could work trades with. Long term I think we are all screwed if we don't learn to get along and build a community. I go to garage sales and my dad was a Wheeler dealer but I'm not sure I would be good at bartering to survive. I think I'd have to work on my communication skill I'd say.

Last Edited:
Fiat economies are intricately woven houses of cards. Always have been.

Too big to fail is a fallacy.
can anyone look at this graph, still know absolutely nothing about the economy, and say everything must be just fine?

fredgraph2.png
I have never been more glad that I make at least some preparations for disaster.

Looks like a movie comming up on this subject.

I would love to see a survivalist movie dealing with the more mundane task. For example a neighbor sends his kid over to steal veggies from another neighbors garden and the neighbor kills the kid for trying to steal his family's food. The thieving neighbor comes over the next day asking if he has seen his kid. That interaction would be great, especially if the neighbor sees some sign of his kid being there at the garden.

Edit: Or the scenario where a remarried father has to decide whether to trade one of his bio daughters away to a gang in exchange for insulin that his new pregnant wife needs to get her through to birth.

There are many horrible circumstances that people will have to face if society really collapses. I think many Afghnans are going to be in situations like these and worse. People are cruel and the cruelty will be on heavy display if society breaks down.

A movie or tv series based on the book One Second After would be fantastic.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads