JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends on the situation and if you're bugging out, bugging in, or in transit at the time when everything goes down. If I'm home when it happens, odds are I'll be hunkering down where I'm at. The only exception would be a volcanic eruption, in which case I'll probably be completely screwed.

If I'm out and about when it happens, my Get Home Bag will help me get where I need to go. For that I recently made some changes. Now I have it broken into two sets of gear. Part one is general stuff I may need in most situations, such as:
  • Cash
  • Changes of clothes for different seasons (at minimum socks, tee shirt, shorts, jeans or cargo pants, sweatshirt, windbreaker, and heavy jacket)
  • Emergency poncho
  • A broken-in and comfortable pair of hiking boots or running shoes
  • A medical kit to cover more than just scratches (burns, lacerations, penetrating trauma, general pain mitigation, etc)
  • Emergency food in bar form (no cooking needed)
  • Bottled water (2L)
  • Multiple flashlights with spare batteries
  • Battery bank with solar charger
  • Chem lights
  • Folding knife
  • Compact prybar
  • Compact bolt cutter
  • Multi tool
  • Portable radio (i.e. Baofeng)
  • Hand warmers
  • Emergency blanket
  • Cloth towel
  • Tissues
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Face mask
  • Electrolyte packets
If I have to rough it overnight to get home, or it may take a day or more of hiking, or I'm just plain stuck somewhere I have the following additional items in a second bag that I can either take or leave depending on the situation:
  • Tarp
  • Compact tent
  • Compact sleeping bag
  • Compact bedroll
  • Inflatable pillow
  • Fixed-blade knife
  • Machete / saw combo
  • Hatchet
  • Fire starter
  • Jetboil
  • Backpacking mess kit
  • Freeze dried camping meals (2 days worth)
  • Toilet paper
  • Paper towels
  • Battery-powered lantern & spare batteries
  • Paracord
  • Duct tape
I also keep 2 gallons of water in my vehicle, a roadside kit, a cot, moving blankets, and a harness with pockets for my dog and his stuff - if he's with me he gets to carry his own emergency food, water, and bowl.

My philosophy on bug out bags changed over the years.
At first I prepped back packs. One in each vehicle and one at home.
Now with small children, the packs just aren't realistic.
I pack a rolling luggage, medium sized, for the vehicles.
No more B.O.B. at home, because we would either hunker down or use my primary vehicle that already has the luggage somewhat hidden in the trunk.

I have all the usual items, but I think a portable car battery charger is a good one not often called out. It will be used eventually when someone needs a battery jump, so it's 100% practical when not bugging out, and it doubles as a battery bank.

Also get a couple of pepper spray canisters in there.

My philosophy on bug out bags changed over the years.
At first I prepped back packs. One in each vehicle and one at home.
Now with small children, the packs just aren't realistic.
I pack a rolling luggage, medium sized, for the vehicles.
No more B.O.B. at home, because we would either hunker down or use my primary vehicle that already has the luggage somewhat hidden in the trunk.

I have all the usual items, but I think a portable car battery charger is a good one not often called out. It will be used eventually when someone needs a battery jump, so it's 100% practical when not bugging out, and it doubles as a battery bank.

Also get a couple of pepper spray canisters in there.
Good call on the rolling luggage, never thought of that. +1 on the car battery charger & pepper spray.

I've roughed it for quite some time dirt bagging up the west coast. Living out of the back of my truck (no camper) - bumming everything from cigs to a night in someone else's fancy tent ;). Trader Joes throws out the absolute best in dumpster diving selection.

So when people talk about bug out bags, I get a little nostalgic. Stay warm gear, stay dry gear, light a fire (hard mode) + light a fire (easy mode) gear, and some personal hygiene (bag of licorice root is always worth having on hand). Basic med kit and water filtration. About 40 or so pounds worth of stuff but kind of bulky. I'd add to that a weapon these days as I'm not as cocky as I once was.

But what I couldn't do - is force that lifestyle onto my wife or child. Even in the apocalypse, it takes a special kind of masochist to go up against the drama that flung the shiz to the fan and wild animals and Mother Nature and all the other sadists out there - all out in the open.

So, I just don't see the point of a bug out bag. There is nothing reasonable that would force us to vacate the property. And if unreasonable came, we're not talking bug out "bag" anymore - we're talking bug out "vehicles" worth of stuff to get from Point A to Point B - which is also a property.

@bradsteen mentioned a JetBoil. They're very handy and packable but if we're talking an apocalyptic situation, might I recommend instead the MSR WhisperLite International; it takes a jet swap but you're in business whether you've got camping gas or need to use unleaded gasoline. Mine is going on 3 decades now and has been easy to take care of and hasn't let me down. A bag of spare parts for it will last well into my kiddo's adulthood.

I carry a few essentials on my person almost all the time,
model 49 smith, (if I am coming from work an fnp45 also)
Kershaw Ti ats34 folding knife,
Solid brass Zippo (I fill it up daily)
Cigarettes (unless you want me to kill random people for theirs)
A large bandana (works as a bandage, dust mask, or playing "old bandito")
A baseball cap, wool. (Synthetics have a " shine")

In my back seat,
An old green army blanket, wool is old school but it works.
50ft heavy extension cord.

In my trunk,
Surplus sleeping bag
Coleman lantern, spare mantels, fuel.
Camp chair
A pair of snow boots,
A pair of Doc Martin steel toed boots
Socks, one or two pair, can't remember.

There is an eclectic assortment of other stuff in there too, some likely useful some not.
If I can make it home again, guns and ammo.

I keep my gear light. I only carry what I need to wrestle my way back to the house.

1704032062905.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads