JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Survive without food for a time, longer than water? Yes. Be healthy afterwards? Questionable. It would take great care to not have health ramifications and not many people could or would take that kind of care when forced to go without food for an extended period of time. I base this not just on anecdotal evidence (friends/relatives who went on some kind of drastic diet and wound up some time later in a hospital due to some kind of organ failure (more than one had gall stones, others had kidney and liver problems) diagnosed as due to their inadvisable diet to lose weight) but also medical advice by nutritionists and health experts.

Just google "drastic reduced diet health risks".

This is not the kind of health issues one wants during a SHTF situation.

Just opinion but in a collapse of any size most folks over 50 won't see the end of it. By 50 you have led the life and lifestyle that determines your death. What you hoarde will be for those you leave behind. :s0093:
I know some people who are 50 who can work in the garden all day or who run or bike serious distances several times a week and are much more physically capable than most teenagers. I even know a few 75 year olds who can physically out work most teenagers and have no outstanding physical issues. Most 50-year-old farmers I know are in excellent physical shape compared with the average urban teenager or twenty something. And they are uninclined to do stupid things too. I agree that a certain level of physical decrepitude will lower a person's probability of surviving many SHTF episodes. But I think it has more to do with the specific person and specific SHTF than some specific age.

With respect to your remark "By 50 you have led the life and life style that determines your death." Only in a world where everyone gets exactly what they deserve. Some people believe that but most don't. I don't. If the SHTF is a mega-9 earthquake, some people are going to die because they were on collapsing bridges. And I don't believe that all those who happened to be on collapsing bridges deserved to die.

I agree however that for many older folks, our preparation is aimed primarily at helping those younger than us to survive and thrive, come what may. This is not because anyone over 50 is worthless. Its because once you have established yourself, helping and teaching others is what healthy elders do.

I know some people who are 50 who can work in the garden all day or who run or bike serious distances several times a week and are much more physically capable than most teenagers. I even know a few 75 year olds who can physically out work most teenagers and have no outstanding physical issues. Most 50-year-old farmers I know are in excellent physical shape compared with the average urban teenager or twenty something. And they are uninclined to do stupid things too. I agree that a certain level of physical decrepitude will lower a person's probability of surviving many SHTF episodes. But I think it has more to do with the specific person and specific SHTF than some specific age.

With respect to your remark "By 50 you have led the life and life style that determines your death." Only in a world where everyone gets exactly what they deserve. Some people believe that but most don't. I don't. If the SHTF is a mega-9 earthquake, some people are going to die because they were on collapsing bridges. And I don't believe that all those who happened to be on collapsing bridges deserved to die.

I agree however that for many older folks, our preparation is aimed primarily at helping those younger than us to survive and thrive, come what may. This is not because anyone over 50 is worthless. Its because once you have established yourself, helping and teaching others is what healthy elders do.
By 50 those who smoke and drink heavily and abusers of modern chemistry have in general sealed their fate. Same with those who were sedate in lifestyle yet ate like they worked hard for a living. You know them by the number of pills they must take to stay alive and by the insulin for their diabetes.

No doubt there will be some older people that can live through a real crisis but like covid, mostly the old die first.

It's nature, not deserved but predictable by the past.

I think the collapse of society is happening as we speak, it's not going to be an overnight sort of thing. It's the slow burn we see all around us every day. Rome didn't fall in a day, but over a protracted period. Much the same is going on today. The time to put plans into action is soon.

if it's all the same....
... I'll put my money on old and devious, over young and stupid, any day. At least we can function without a smartphone, know which bathroom to use, and can drive/fix/shoot dam near anything.

"Don't under-estimate a old man in a world where you're expected to die young." ;)

I think the collapse of society is happening as we speak, it's not going to be an overnight sort of thing. It's the slow burn we see all around us every day. Rome didn't fall in a day, but over a protracted period. Much the same is going on today. The time to put plans into action is soon.
Just opinion but there is a huge difference in the way Rome fell and the way we are falling. Rome fell in decay while we are being destroyed.

if it's all the same....
... I'll put my money on old and devious, over young and stupid, any day. At least we can function without a smartphone, know which bathroom to use, and can drive/fix/shoot dam near anything.

"Don't under-estimate a old man in a world where you're expected to die young." ;)
There will be some crusty old....folks that will get through a downturn and it will be them that bring civility back. Just saying most over 50 have played their hand already. :s0093:

There will be some crusty old....folks that will get through a downturn and it will be them that bring civility back. Just saying most over 50 have played their hand already. :s0093:
I did a stupid thing at 17 that I was lucky did not kill me. The injury seemed slight, but over the decades has gotten worse and worse. Now there are days that I can't walk 100 yards, without disabling pain. This has not helped my health, and has probably contributed to my getting out of shape, becoming sedentary and my heart/lung conditions.

It wasn't lifestyle - I used to be very active, quit occasional smoking (cigars, pipe) when before I turned 30, exercised and so on, but it got to the point where the pain from my back injury just made me disinclined to do anything strenuous, then later, any kind of physical activity that might cause me to be in excruciating pain. It has gotten to the point where a cough or sneeze can throw my back out and about once a week I need to take muscle relaxants and painkillers to be able to sleep. I know it is only going to get worse - because it slowly has over the decades since I was a teen.

Just opinion but there is a huge difference in the way Rome fell and the way we are falling. Rome fell in decay while we are being destroyed.
Not falling into decay? The justice system is nonfunctional, anarchists roam the streets with impunity, what were crimes are now brushed aside with a shrug by law enforcement. People are receiving lifetime checks for make believe disabilities. Bread and circuses for the masses? Check out the rabid sports fans, the us versus them mentality.

Not falling into decay? The justice system is nonfunctional, anarchists roam the streets with impunity, what were crimes are now brushed aside with a shrug by law enforcement. People are receiving lifetime checks for make believe disabilities. Bread and circuses for the masses? Check out the rabid sports fans, the us versus them mentality.
As always I post only as opinion so its up to the reader if he agrees or not. America is under managed decline, not decay. It gets worse from here but folks are going to have to see what's comming to believe it.

Watched it for 69 years so it's not tin foil hat talking, I saw what was compared to what is today. :s0093:

2xivbzadvde71.png

Federal reserve 1 trillion reverse repo today, new all time high score. Mortgage forbearance ending. Banks and hedge funds overleveraged to the gills, Delta variant on fire.

The economy is fine, nothing to see here, go about your usual business, no chance of world wide collapse, plenty of toilet paper for everyone!

He's been around for years, I don't watch much YT, even fewer reviews. Just discovered the Critical Drinker when looking for... I forget really. Internet!

Anyway, I've now watched hours of this guy. He is hysterical. And about the woke virus in entertainment he and I share a brain. Highly recommend him. (Look at his review of It's a Wonderful Life for an intro.) Edit: Also recommend "Why Do We Need Heroes?" About comics, but really about more.

Back to our scheduled collapse.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews