JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If trade is established, it will likely be neither. Silver has no direct essential value in a survival situation, and only has a perceived value as currency and fabrication. Ammo is likely better as it offers value in defense and hunting situations, however if you are able to trade it implies some level of stability in which defense is less of a concern than say hygeine and sustenance.
I'd stack cleaning supplies, food stuff and fuels for intended barter. Those items have the advantage of not being used against you as well.
If the crisis is short term, I would definitely trade my TP and soap for silver tho.

Depends is the most encompassing answer.

I would never barter ammo or weapons of any sort. I have a thing about trading away something that could potentially be used against me at some point in the future.

As far as silver goes, as with everything else, it's only worth what someone will give you for it.

If trade is established, it will likely be neither. Silver has no direct essential value in a survival situation, and only has a perceived value as currency and fabrication. Ammo is likely better as it offers value in defense and hunting situations, however if you are able to trade it implies some level of stability in which defense is less of a concern than say hygeine and sustenance.
I'd stack cleaning supplies, food stuff and fuels for intended barter. Those items have the advantage of not being used against you as well.
If the crisis is short term, I would definitely trade my TP and soap for silver tho.

Wow! Great answer- things I hadn't thought of!

Neither. People will need FOOD!

preview.jpg

Are we talking "Mad Max" society collapse, "Waterworld" society collapse, "The Terminator" society collapse or "Night of the Living Dead" society collapse?

Or are we talking about a temporary society collapse; IE. 'Market collapse'/'Great Depression', 'Civil War', 'Natural Disaster' etc., lasting for a duration until society rises from the ashes again?

People who aren't steeped in barter overestimate their ability.

Unless you come from a barter culture it won't matter what you have to trade. You'll get robbed blind.

If both parties to the transaction are the common modern American (bad at relationships, self important, confident to the point of arrogance and have rarely bartered, much less bartered in a life/death environment with a stranger) the transaction will often be like two virgins bubbleguming; confusion, blood, tears, and regret.

Like so may things in prepping the "what" isn't important compared to the experience and skill.

Stuff happens.

Things change.

You have to be flexible in bad times.

I would barter a number of things, but not precious metals as they have little to no intrinsic value in a complete collapse situation, and for the typical person, it is hard to detect whether they are genuine or not. If I accept a silver coin/ingot/whatever, then I cannot use it for anything until the next time I barter.

Fuel, food, water, tools, services, shelter, these things I can both barter and use.

Agreed, TP, cigs and chew would probably be better than both.

Trade goods can be stolen or attract thugs and need to be stored and protected, usually can't be easily moved. If you got ammo to trade you got ammo to be killed for.
.... A person with a skill has trade value and if it's a skill like first-aid, or fixing generators, booze production, food production, ietc.... it'll go a long way towards keeping you alive. Golf pro.... not so much.... but a medic?...you're golden!

Last Edited:
Playing the game rather than being a curmudgeon, the absolute best (and hence most dangerous if people know you have it) things to trade are drugs. Small and light, easily stored/hidden, useful when needed like little else in the modern world.

Pain killers, antibiotics, antihistamines, benzodiazepines, etc.

In collapse they'll be most missed. We don't know how good we have it.

One of my greatest fears of collapse are the percentage of the population on psychotropics. You think people act crazy now? lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top