JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know as far as canned goods, but, at one point in my life I was homeless and way down on luck. Ate out of dumpsters on more than a few occasions, and wouldn't shy away from the food banks. Frequently you're going to get expired expired canned goods, but I was in no position to be picky.

On another note, if you're trying to load up the pantry or fridge on a budget or are just trying to to spend less, the food banks aren't just for broke folks. Often, if no one shows up to pick up the food, it just goes to the trash. Often you'll find quality vegetables, good bread, etc. If you feel guilty utilizing the resource, donate some time or money.

My own record, in the mid-1960's I ate candy Charms from WW2 survival raft rations. Circa mid-1990's, a co-worker was throwing away a case of C-rats that he stole from the army years earlier, they were dated 1966. Some of that 30 year old stuff was edible. My mother died a couple of years ago. One of the things I dragged home was a bottle of Aunt Betty's syrup. My mom had dated it 2010 when she bought it; I just finished it about a month ago. Bought some close-out powdered milk from Ed's Surplus in Lynnwood, it was 20 years old and perfectly good.

LOL......as late as 2016 I've eaten MREs from the '80s. The dark brown packaged ones. The main meals were mostly ok. Though the candies were a mess. Check the packaging for leaks or stickiness before eating.

Aloha, Mark

Ate a cracker from a k ration when I was a kid

I haven't eaten K rations. But the crackers in C-rats were never very good. Water crackers, pilot crackers, whatever you want to call them, basically hardtack from days of yore. You can buy #10 cans of hardtack from Amazon. They are called Pilot Crackers there. Preppers sometimes buy them because of long shelf life. Those big cans of survival crackers stored in federal basements left over from the Cold War were pretty much the same thing.

as late as 2016 I've eaten MREs from the '80s. The dark brown packaged ones.

I've eaten quite a few of the older dark brown packaged MRE's years ago. They were mostly okay. These days I see the beige color packaged ones at the gun shows; there are a number of goofy menus, like ethnic and would-be healthy stuff but they don't appeal to me. I've bought a couple of the beige ones in menus that looked good, like barbecue brisket. It wasn't horrible but I was a little disappointed.

Re: Euell Gibbons, the 1000 year old pine nuts turned his scrotum
purple. That is how they came up with the name of the cereal that he endorsed.

When in the Army and we were phasing out C-Rats for MRE's...I ate C-Rats as old as I was ....or older...:eek:
Andy

Andy,
What did you think of the, "Lucky Strike" greens and that chocolate hockey puck? Face bigsmyl.gif

In May of 1976 I was to report to my ship in the Philippines. When I got there the ship had left port for open waters. Due to the soon arrival of super typhoon Pamila. I don't remember how many days the storm was or how much rain fell but it was a lot. If you didn't eat "C" rats you didn't eat. If you didn't like one or the other you weren't hungry enough. I'd even smoke the Kool straghts if that's all there was. I still carry my P-38 on my key chain that I got back then just in case.

Dad brought home a big stash of Vietnam/post era rations and we used to love eating those! When ever the power went out for a day or three from an ice storm or bad winds, we would break those out and chow down! I don't remember all that much about them, but they were pretty good! The one I always liked and could count on trading for was the Pork Patty, Man, a little BBQ sauce and you were eating like a king! The Crackers and Cheese spread was pretty darn good too! I remember the packages were a dark brown, but not totally sure what generation they were! I think they were the Pre MRE's with the heat pack!

Andy,
What did you think of the, "Lucky Strike" greens and that chocolate hockey puck?View attachment 618091
Well...
I don't smoke then or now...so what I did with one of the packs of Lucky Strikes was to ship it home to Dad...as a gag gift...he was in the Army too...
As for that hockey puck...I think I I still have it 'round here somewhere...:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top