JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In 1987 I went on a field exercise. We had some c-rats issued to us that were from the late 50s/early 60s. We ate them because it is what we had and we were hungry. I remember some had some really nasty cigarettes in them. Probably the worst tobacco I have ever tasted.
I remember the smokes, 5 to a pack, better rolling up dried yuca plant leaves in toilet paper.

No longer. Mountain House updated their foil pack procedures and now claim a 30 year life for both foil packs and 10 ounce tins. Having eaten 14 year old 7 year old rated foil packs and gagged at the bubblegum, I'm as pleased as anyone. :)

https://mountainhouse.com/pages/our-shelf-life-guarantee

I still have a handful of the old style packaging and edibility seems be by the type of goo inside. None of the new packs are that old yet so time will tell on their guarantee.

In my broke-azz bachelor days, pizza from a box under the couch, age unknown, crust so hard you had to dip it in water to not break your teeth.
A vat of spaghetti sauce in the fridge, so old it had started to ferment.

I'm inspired.
Several jars of meat, origin unknown, down in the basement. Probably 30+ years old. Next time I actually have 3 days off in a row it's chow time.
The glass jars have always scared me tho, so I haven't tried..
Yet
I've eaten 20yr or older C rations plenty of times and enjoyed it.

I'm inspired.
Several jars of meat, origin unknown, down in the basement. Probably 30+ years old. Next time I actually have 3 days off in a row it's chow time.
The glass jars have always scared me tho, so I haven't tried..
Yet
I've eaten 20yr or older C rations plenty of times and enjoyed it.

Nobody ENJOYS C-rats. :confused:

I've found Steve's videos interesting, though I don't know how he's still among the living considering some of the crap he's eaten. Including this: :eek:

I was really surprised that eat and cooked bit of that meat product. I agree some things you should not be eaten. He did enjoy the crackers, chocolate, cookie, and coffee from the Korean War C-Ration packed in April 1951.

John Wayne bars are delicious.
Beans and balls are better than anything chef boy r d ever made.
And the crackers and cheese spread?
I can still taste them.

Seriously, I was eating C rations when I was in elementary school. So I guess I never had a chance. Memories ♡

You need to try "Pork in Juices" at 19 degrees in snow up to your knees. MMMM good stuff....NOT!

How old is Barium Sulfate? Other then that and Dirt and sand. About 25 years ago I ate a couple items from a WWII life raft survival tin. Mostly just a kind of hard candy.

In 1996 I opened, and ate, a can of Bumble Bee Tuna. It was from the last lot of cans packed out of Astoria Oregon (before they moved operations) Can was from 1973. No texture left but the taste was palatable.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top