JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was 1971, 2 days after I watched the new movie Dirty Harry. HAD to have one of those .44 mags. Found out there was a run on S&W .44 mags and the price was out of my range anyway. The local Payless drug store had a new Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum in their display case. Seems like the price was around $175 but I'm not sure.
I just turned 21 and though I was king of the world with that .44 magnum! What a fool!
Like to shoot it though, wish I still had it.
That was the first gun I ever reloaded for. I remember the factory loads recoiled the gun up over your head and my reloads made it jump about half that much. Didn't matter if it was accurate, just fun to shoot.

I remember walking into Blackbird in Medford, OR (if you're from So. Oregon you know what I'm talking about) as an 18 year old and I bought a rifle because I could. It was a stock Norinco SKS for $109 and I was excited to have it. Sadly I traded it for a guitar a few years later, but it was fun to have while it lasted and I had a good feeling to own something in case TSHF. The funny thing was, I'd been reading about them for years in the Shotgun News my dad would bring home and my family members who were shooters knew about them and what a good value they were but I was the first to buy one. I still have a soft spot for SKS and wish I could find one for a decent price these days.

I remember walking into Blackbird in Medford, OR (if you're from So. Oregon you know what I'm talking about) as an 18 year old and I bought a rifle because I could. It was a stock Norinco SKS for $109 and I was excited to have it. Sadly I traded it for a guitar a few years later, but it was fun to have while it lasted and I had a good feeling to own something in case TSHF. The funny thing was, I'd been reading about them for years in the Shotgun News my dad would bring home and my family members who were shooters knew about them and what a good value they were but I was the first to buy one. I still have a soft spot for SKS and wish I could find one for a decent price these days.

You traded a nice boom stick for a gee-tar?? That's crazy talk!! :eek:

Winchester 1200 12ga.
and the famous Davis 380 (wife wanted a gun and everything covered in pink was rediculious)
My buddy was shooting the Davis at round 35...slide broke. I've never gone off of someone else advice since.

Since that SKSs and shotguns that I find interesting.

My first rifle was a Colt AR-15 SP1. I bought it when I was in the Marine Corps and living in barracks. I had to store it in the base armory and check it out with a weapon card. it was kind of funny that every time I went to turn it back in after shooting it at the local range, they would want to inspect it to see if it was clean. I took great pleasure in saying no...:)

My first handgun was a Ruger GP-100 stainless 4 inch.

Both are long gone...:(

The summer I turned 21 I spent at my Grandparent's home in Port Orchard, WA. I had just sold my Austin Healey 3000 for what I thought was a LOT of cash.... my cousin and I went down to Pete's Gun Store in downtown Podunk, and I bought two long guns... a BSA sporter in .30-06, Monte Carlo stock, and I got a cheap scope. I also bought a 12 bore pump shotgun, something like Eastbrook (it also says S&W on the breech), modified choke. I sold the 06 some years back when I was in a financial bind, to a friend. HE got in money trouble a year later, and instead of talking to me he sold it to another friend of ours, for half what he'd paid me. THAT guy died two years on, and I didn't hear about his widow's fire sale of everything of his.... I heard later that 06 sold for fifty bux.... I'd have paid five times that, in a heartbeat. I still have the shotgun, its a bit gnarly bit still spits lead. (I've just recently bought a BPS tenbore, gorgeous walnut stock, still new in the box but old stock.... so I'm not sure how much more action that old number twelve will be seeing.... I've also recently gotten a Browning A Bold White Gold Medallion in .30-06, so I don't think I'll be missing that old Beezer much more. That Browning is suweeeeet.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top