JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe a Garand in 6.5CM

Actually I would love to see SA or someone mass produce the Garand... its badass and nearly ban-proof.

30-06
6.5CM
I think a couple of places do and CMP do rebuilds. there are some that specialize in other calibers in the Garand, in fact I know of one, no longer in business that made a .458 Mag out of one. I not sure if mass production will ever be a real happening, but learned to never say never!

I think a couple of places do and CMP do rebuilds. there are some that specialize in other calibers in the Garand, in fact I know of one, no longer in business that made a .458 Mag out of one. I not sure if mass production will ever be a real happening, but learned to never say never!

I know some did this with the M1 carbine with some success... and that's in a caliber most wouldn't already have around.

Though it might be a cost thing, definitely couldn't get away with a cast receiver in a Garand like you can with the carbine.

The idea resurfaced when we all went through the "assault weapon" ban scare a while back... Even the M1A being specifically named to be banned.
The Garand would have become the best game in town. I know other states are in a similar situation....
A market for a rifle with a proven design and not considered an AW by any of the states could pickup real quick.

Just a quick aside about the M1 Garand, and whether or not it's an "assault weapon".

A few years back a good friend of mine went through the application process with the OSP. I didn't realize how extensive and thorough the process was. He told about a lengthy questionnaire, and one of the questions was "Do you own any assault weapons?" He said he marked "Yes". For how many, he put "2". (Wrong answer apparently; you're not supposed to have such things if you want to be OSP).

I asked him what "assault weapons" he owns, because I've known him a long time and I know exactly what he owns. He said why his M1 and his SKS, of course!

We had a short discussion about definitions and such. I said something along the lines of how if even the radically anti gun state of California doesn't consider the M1 or fixed-magazine SKS to be "assault weapons", then neither should he.

In WA at least, the SKS was also specifically named in the AWB proposal.

Can't imagine why? Other than an ominous sounding acronym for words they didn't know how to pronounce....

Solid stock, fixed mag, no fwd grip, no threaded muzzle...

Oh well, at least we dodged it this time around.

If they go after the M1A, build a BM-59 instead. Also a mag-fed Garand, but a different development path that yielded a technically better rifle--in many ways it's closer to John Garand's vision and original design than the Garand we know from WWII Issue, which was gimped by the War Department being concerned about "excessive burn of ammo and mags."

I know some did this with the M1 carbine with some success... and that's in a caliber most wouldn't already have around.

Though it might be a cost thing, definitely couldn't get away with a cast receiver in a Garand like you can with the carbine.

The idea resurfaced when we all went through the "assault weapon" ban scare a while back... Even the M1A being specifically named to be banned.
The Garand would have become the best game in town. I know other states are in a similar situation....
A market for a rifle with a proven design and not considered an AW by any of the states could pickup real quick.
Don't kid yourself, they plan on a ban on anything semi auto, with most anti gun law makers plan on the next step that was already submitted and withdrawn any fire capable of holding more than five rounds. Their goal at the end will be no private ownership of a firearm, and deem the 2nd amendment invalid. They either don't know or don't care what this action would bring about. I'm sure they will find out!

One of my favorite guns is my early WWII Underwood M1 carbine (flip peep sight), with an aftermarket (?) paratrooper stock. I'd love to have one in 9mm, so I could have both rifle and CCW handgun in the same caliber. The only .30 carbine caliber pistol is a rather large revolver. I asked Roger at Revelation arms if he could chop or otherwise modify the pistol, but he said no.

Does anyone know of a place that could modify the rifle and magazines to 9mm?

Oh, I got another one. Bring back the gyrojet pistol, with modern day ammo; like drone tipped hollowpoints (not sure how you'd get the propellers in the case... but we can dream can't we?).

I remember seeing the .458 Winchester Magnum M1 Garand. Be still, my beating heart. :D

028b0a18546f5f31113bfa812c5fadd3.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! A face book friend was in on the development of this and a few other calibers. Understand the business doesn't exist and he has retired since than, but still owns one! Out grown my experimental urges, and 25-06, and 6mm Remington have been adopted since. I doubt if what is left will be. I have a 25-08, and a 30 Gibbs very likely will not make it, but are both functional calibers for the times when I had them built. Definitely fun at time and kind a poor mans let's build something different.

No matter gun "They" have on a "you can't own list" now...all guns will be on such a list at some point in time , sad to say...
Andy
Exactly. Unless and until we say, in unison, NO! (hey, I can dream too)

Trying to placate wannabe tyrants is a fools errand. Instead of trying to concoct models that will fly under the latest ban insanity, we should be trying to figure out how we'll support one another once (since?) they've finally gone too far and we're not gonna take it.

Like I said, I can dream.

Can't say I have any. I think part of the nostalgia of an older firearm is the history of it along with it's caliber. I personally would HATE to see a nice old beauty chambered in some modern gee-whiz round.
Yeah, but in my case, .38 Long Rimfire are not made anymore, and when you can find them they start at around $3 to $5 per round up to $29.95 per round. So I wanted to chamber the rifle for .38 Spc, and while we were at it why not .357 Mag?

Last Edited:
Everything but the price. Sorry but nice doesn't justify the price. I was reading wear a 98 Mauser built by a famous English gun maker was spendy like this one, Somehow justification just isn't there for me!

An acquaintance of mine, the late Ronald Wharton, was a bespoke gunmaker of the Rigby school, having been apprenticed there and working there for much of his life until the Ayrabs walked through the front door with all the money, and he walked out the back with all his tools.

He set up on his own in Dorking, Surrey, and soon established a faithful clientele, afficionados of Rigby-style rifles without the Rigby-style prices, mind you, his basic gun, twenty years ago, started off at £6,000 - then $12,000.

Today you can happily part with around $120K for a nice Rigby in their revitalised action.

FYI, Sir, the line is long.

An acquaintance of mine, the late Ronald Wharton, was a bespoke gunmaker of the Rigby school, having been apprenticed there and working there for much of his life until the Ayrabs walked through the front door with all the money, and he walked out the back with all his tools.

He set up on his own in Dorking, Surrey, and soon established a faithful clientele, afficionados of Rigby-style rifles without the Rigby-style prices, mind you, his basic gun, twenty years ago, started off at £6,000 - then $12,000.

Today you can happily part with around $120K for a nice Rigby in their revitalised action.

FYI, Sir, the line is long.
As a kid I would read my dad's Outdoor Life or Field & Stream (back when they were actual hunting and fishing magazines) and hunger to even shoulder a Rigby .416 Nitro Express.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top