JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Whats the best part about range day?

• Hanging with the guys

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Shooting your favorite gun

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Learning new things

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • making your groups tighter

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • All the above

Votes: 38 67.9%

• Total voters
Depends on the range day. When I really want to shoot, and just focus on shooting, I go alone. When I go with others, I always have a great time and really enjoy my fellow shooters, but find I don't shoot nearly as much, and even when I do, I don't focus as much as when I'm alone. Third type is when I bring folks to the range to introduce them to shooting or to teach someone. Each type of range trip has it's own benefits and rewards. So it's hard to nail just one thing down.

Really, it's all of the above.

Considering my range is in my backyard, I don't really have "range day". It's more like run out back and run a few mags through a gun real quick or go Chrono a load.

I suppose once in awhile I go to the 1k yd range and my favorite part is the envy in the other shooters as I ring the 1k gong.;)

It's the same envy I feel when the guy next to me does it with an M1 Garand.....first shot:)

I have a small number of freinds and wether its hunting, shooting or simply spending time with them is very important to me. It seems like it is getting rarer to get together. I think if I had a chance to go shooting with one of them and every spot on the range was being used by some one else it would still be a win. Enjoy those that you care about now because they will not be there someday.

I have a small number of freinds and wether its hunting, shooting or simply spending time with them is very important to me. It seems like it is getting rarer to get together. I think if I had a chance to go shooting with one of them and every spot on the range was being used by some one else it would still be a win. Enjoy those that you care about now because they will not be there someday.

I wish I knew you better, your opening statement is a hanging curveball over the plate for my style of humor.

P

The Adrenalin rush, and the smell of gun powder.
I love being outside, I get itchy being inside, so also just being outside make it worth it.
Do not like indoor ranges. I also love watching people that have never shot a AR or AK
and the happiness you can see in that ear to ear grin. Or when they see you take that 12GA slug and shoot a watermelon, good times. ( cant do that in a indoor range lol)

Last Edited:
I love getting out and shooting. Instructing new folks is great fun and very rewarding and it's just nice to hang with friends, shoot a bunch of different iron and share some time. Life is short.

I haven't had the heart to go up our road to our shooting spot, we've heard the fire destroyed the whole area up there and I'm not looking forward to seeing the devastation.

I like the hanging with like minded guys,

But I like going it alone too.
Can't do it much at a range because there's always people around, but there something very relaxing and stress reducing about it. Same as a good hike or better a hunt.

It's the only time I don't have stress or anxiety thinking about a millions things at once, and mostly all the crap I need to get done.
It's physically, mentally, and emotionally draining.
And it's constant.

But getting to the range, hiking, or hunting I'm in the moment. I'm free.

Pretty simple. What is your favorite thing about going to the range?

For me it is simple. Going to the range and spending time shooting and enjoying it with good friends and great people are tops on the list. But it never fails that I go to the range with like minded people and I learn something new either from someone I just met or from the guys that I go with.

Some of the best days of the year are spent at the range with the guys. What is your favorite and why!

Remember that last range day I was there? You learned that Ruger American Rifles can actually shoot pretty decently.... although (admittedly) not as good as a Tikka.

:D

Remember that last range day I was there? You learned that Ruger American Rifles can actually shoot pretty decently.... although (admittedly) not as good as a Tikka.

:D

Yes and we need to do that again soon! Good times indeed. We need to get that savage stretched out to the 300 range and see how she groups! :)

Thank you for the kind words @EPS and @SKrueger ...
I had a great time with you all as well.

For me range day is a multi faceted thing...
There is the hanging out with friends...
The back and forth good natured heckling and banter...
Seeing and learning about someone's firearms...
Challenging yourself to make that difficult shot...and the bragging rights thereafter...
The relaxing stress free fun in just shooting....
The clean up afterwards...'cause that means that you will get to go again....
Hanging out after with a beer and lunch / dinner....
Andy

Thank you for the kind words @EPS and @SKrueger ...
I had a great time with you all as well.

For me range day is a multi faceted thing...
There is the hanging out with friends...
The back and forth good natured heckling and banter...
Seeing an learning about someone's firearms...
Challenging yourself to make that difficult shot...and the bragging rights thereafter...
The relaxing stress free fun in just shooting....
The clean up afterwards...'cause that means that you will get to go again....
Hanging out after with a beer and lunch / dinner....
Andy

Very well put! Range day just makes life good! :)

See that is what I am talking about! Oh and I agree with you @EPS @AndyinEverson is a great guy. I learned so much from him in the afternoon that we spent together.
Next time you get up this way if it's a Saturday you me and @AndyinEverson need to get together and burn some powder .
If it's hunting season we will have to go to a range .but the one that Andy and I went to the other day .we were there by ourselves most of the time.you can shoot pistols and muzzleloader Rifle there .or 22 RIFLE but I don't think they let you shoot big RIFLES .

Well close I think in the four hours I shot about 25 ROUNDS in the muzzleloader lol .
But we ran a few mags Through the pistols also .we spent some time in the store with him helping me get all the stuff I needed to get.and talking with the owners of the store and range.
Quality time with quality people taking quality shots. Nu'n wrong wid'dat.

In reference to the OP, I enjoy the challenge, solitude, friendships, etc. I enjoy the feel and sound of a projectile sent downrange, the anticipation walking to the target to see how I did, cleaning up after myself and others. Sometimes I'll find a target left behind with very few well placed shots and make a rule that a can't go home till it's been used properly. I also enjoy cleaning my firearms when it's all over.

The worst part of range day is pulling up to see the filthy mess some hillbilly left behind and loading magazines.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top