JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And a gun I presume Dad sporterized just after he got out of the Navy in '47 and was in a gun shop business with his brother for a time. I believe it is an Enfield. What year/variation :s0153: :s0092: At this time I have the vintage Lyman Alaskan 2.5x set up for use on my AK.

I usually wouldn't say something like this, but go buy a friggin scope for your AK and put that "Enfield" back together!

It's either a Enfield Model 1917 (M1917) that's been sporterized or a reworked Remington Model 30. I tend to favor the former as the Model 30 had a flattened rear bridge. The M1917 had the big honkin sight ears that were part of the action, but someone with a mill, grinder and skill could make one look like this. The bolt handle has had the sharpness of the bends of the doglegged handle softened up a lot. The barrel is either shortened and crowned, or was replaced. Then look at the stock. The deep, nearly vertical pistol grip, raised comb with a honkin cheek pad. Someone wanted this gun to shoot!
This is a very nice rifle. One I'd love to call mine. The fact that an ancestor did the customizing is nearly priceless.

Is is still 30-06?

ps.

There is also an off chance that the rifle is an Enfield Pattern 1914 rifle that's been heavily reworked, too. Those would have started life as a British 303.

IMG_20130908_220829.jpg
IMG_20131016_153851_med.jpg
CZ 27, the first gun I ever shot when I was 9 yrs old. Belonged to my dad.
Top photo with broken grip is how it always was, even back when I was 9 yrs old and first shot it.
Second photo is with new reproduction grip I found on ebay.

Dad passed in 2013 and he still had it, or so I thought. Relatives of my step mom stole it. I put out the word I wanted it back and it magically showed up.

It is nothing special but it did belong to my dad, and it was the first gun I ever shot so sentimental value etc. My son thinks it is kinda cool due to family history so he will take position of it when the time comes.

~

Even though I rarely shoot it, this little Ruger is the top of the list for me. First handgun I ever shot. I learned before I was 10 how to disassemble and reassemble these little buggers. Since a 10 year old can do it, I wonder why so many "adults" can't seem to get one of these put back together correctly...
These are the incorrect grips. I have the original black ones tucked away.

Standard.jpg

I really cant post pictures of any of the beautiful and rare Family heirloom guns I have.
There not my Families. o_O

I will say. It always makes me wince a bit when They hand me Dad's gun....... And I hand them the cash.
Most people don't give a rip about heirloom guns. :confused:

My guess would be a 1917 Enfield...that has been made into a nice sporter....But as it does not have a ramrod...I may be wrong...:D
Andy

I usually wouldn't say something like this, but go buy a friggin scope for your AK and put that "Enfield" back together!

It's either a Enfield Model 1917 (M1917) that's been sporterized or a reworked Remington Model 30. I tend to favor the former as the Model 30 had a flattened rear bridge. The M1917 had the big honkin sight ears that were part of the action, but someone with a mill, grinder and skill could make one look like this. The bolt handle has had the sharpness of the bends of the doglegged handle softened up a lot. The barrel is either shortened and crowned, or was replaced. Then look at the stock. The deep, nearly vertical pistol grip, raised comb with a honkin cheek pad. Someone wanted this gun to shoot!
This is a very nice rifle. One I'd love to call mine. The fact that an ancestor did the customizing is nearly priceless.

Is is still 30-06?

I hadn't done any research for some time on the sporter, so I went at it again for a bit. I believe it is a Pattern 14 due to the safety. It is in .30-06. There are no marks unless they're under the stock which I haven't had off. The bluing is very thick and rich. Dad either did the work, when he was in the biz with his brother after '47, or had it done. Dad was a master at building and fixing things so there's no reason to believe he worked in a two man gun shop and didn't do the work himself. Dad did shoot it, he had the rack from a small muley in the garage. As far as I know he only ever shot one deer with it. He couldn't kill anything. I wish I knew more about his life "Before me". Makes me sad.

The scope would go right back on it. I only fitted it to the AK because it's period correct for an AK47 being a vintage '49 scope. But you are right, I should have a different scope for the AK.

I will say. It always makes me wince a bit when They hand me Dad's gun....... And I hand them the cash.
Most people don't give a rip about heirloom guns. :confused:
Which is why there are so few of them :(
A few years back at a gunshow I saw a guy packing around a Trapdoor Springfield. I asked to look at it and got into a bit of conversation. He said it had been in his family for several generations and was looking to see what he could get for it. I gave him a rough guess as to value and reminded him that the guys on the other side of the tables would low ball it since they mostly needed to be able to make a profit. Then I tried really hard to politely get him to reconsider parting with it. I mentioned that if I had something like that that had been in my family multiple generations he wouldn't be able to pry it out of my hands with a crow bar. Don't know the outcome but at least he gave it more thought.

Was visiting that new gun shop in Tigard a few weeks back, and a older lady came in with her late husbands entire collection. total count was 22 long guns and 14 hand guns!:(:(:( I almost cried, a fine collection that will not be passed on! I asked to take a look at a few, and made offers on a few, including a super deluxe Browning BAR in .338 W.M. and a super sweet Browning Citori and Ruger Red Label! Sadly, I know the shop will only give 50 to 60% of the value, and I even mentioned that to the lady, I gave her my card and even told her I would be happy to do the transfer right here in the shop, to ease her mind about my ability to own guns! Last I heard, the shop was selling them off as fast as they could, and despite the fact I had left my card with the shop, I never got a call from them ether! :mad:

Was visiting that new gun shop in Tigard a few weeks back, and a older lady came in with her late husbands entire collection. total count was 22 long guns and 14 hand guns!:(:(:( I almost cried, a fine collection that will not be passed on! I asked to take a look at a few, and made offers on a few, including a super deluxe Browning BAR in .338 W.M. and a super sweet Browning Citori and Ruger Red Label! Sadly, I know the shop will only give 50 to 60% of the value, and I even mentioned that to the lady, I gave her my card and even told her I would be happy to do the transfer right here in the shop, to ease her mind about my ability to own guns! Last I heard, the shop was selling them off as fast as they could, and despite the fact I had left my card with the shop, I never got a call from them ether! :mad:

azz holes!!!:mad:

I scored a nice 1943 High Standard HD that way, lady brought it in, and the shop offered her $200 for it, I countered with $350 and walked out with a super sweet High Standard! No harm, no fowl!:)

I have my Grandfather's home defense handgun, a Savage model 1905 in original box with original cleaning brushes and manual. The handgun is in pristine condition unlike the one whose photo I included here. I don't believe he ever fired it and that it just sat in his desk for about 84 years.
savage.jpg

Interestingly enough, this model went up against the Colt 45 ACP for the Colt .38 Service Revolver replacement and gave it a run for its money but it finally lost the M1911 title to the Colt.

Even Buffalo Bill had one!

savage1.jpg

So not only is it a family heirloom, but also a fascinating piece of history!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top