JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of the few avenues we have in Oregon to acquire modern firearms without a background check is with in the family. Here is the list of who you can legally transfer firearms to or from without a background check.

) A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;
(B) A transferor's parent or stepparent;
(C) A transferor's child or stepchild;
(D) A transferor's sibling;
(E) A transferor's grandparent;
(F) A transferor's grandchild;
(G) A transferor's aunt or uncle;
(H) A transferor's first cousin;
(I) A transferor's niece or nephew; or
(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of
this paragraph

There is no straw purchase restrictions laid out in the law for private party transfers between family members. If you consider the tentacles of a typical family including blood relatives, non blood relatives (step, spouses, etc) the family transfer opportunities could be huge. Has anybody explored the idea of using an online platform to help discover private party transfer opportunities between multiple families.

One example.

Fred and Wilma are married and Fred wants to buy an AR15 but a moronic state law has prevented transfers from FFLs and none of his eligible family members has one to sell.

Wilma's sister Betty is married to Barney.

Barney's dad Frank wants to sell his AR15 for cheap but him and Fred and not on each other's eligble list of family members they can legally transfer to or from.

Betty could legally buy the firearm from Frank and then legally sell it to Fred.

Another example.

My wife and I attend one of her family reunions on her Dad's side. At the family reunion family members have firearms displayed on their own tables. My wife also has her own table. We trade, buy or sell with whoever is on our eligble list.

This idea would assume all family members resided in Oregon for the transfers. It also assumes that family members are not prohibited persons.

Last Edited:
While this is "legal" there is what is legal and what is wise. Any gun where the paper trail ends at you, you are who they will come to is it ends up at a crime. If someone you gave it to has it lost, stolen, or they decide to give it, years later it may show up at a crime. When LEO's show up to ask you how your gun ended up at a crime scene you could explain the example you just gave here to them. At this point you have now showed them a red flag. They may just grumble under their breath as the drive away. They may take this to the keepers of the law and they may want to make a case out of it. If they do you then can take the lawyer they offer you, or pay for your own. If the said gun gets used in a crime that "makes news", then you can bet you will be needing a lawyer for civil action at min. So make sure its really worth the risk here because you are leaving yourself open to some risk.

We did this with strangers prior to passing of SB941. Other states still allow for private party transfer without FFL. You could fill out bill of sales if you wanted to remember who a firearm went to or came from. We may be put in a position soon where no FFL transfers will be permitted in Oregon. This would be one legal way to do transfers even if Measure 114 results in background checks being shut down.

@Yarome might appreciate this solution over burger king back of trunk deals with strangers.

We did this with strangers prior to passing of SB941. Other states still allow for private party transfer without FFL. You could fill out bill of sales if you wanted to remember who a firearm went to or came from. We may be put in a position soon where no FFL transfers will be permitted in Oregon. This would be one legal way to do transfers even if Measure 114 results in background checks being shut down.

@Yarome might appreciate this solution over burger king back of trunk deals with strangers.
Yes I for decades bought and sold. When I sold I did give a "bill of sale" which I kept a copy of for just this reason. The rub here is this was before this became against the law. The scenario you laid out to "get around" the law is blatantly just that. Getting around the law. As I said there is legal and there is wise. I am NOT telling anyone not to do what you laid out here. I am saying anyone who does is leaving themselves open to some harsh trouble down the road. While chance of it happening may be slim there is real risk here. So for anyone wanting to do it? Just make sure its a risk you want to walk into. The authorities may decide to not go after the person who does this if something really bad happens. That does not mean some "victim" will not sue the seller of the gun. If they do the seller has no choice but to hire a lawyer to fight it. So again, make sure you want to assume this risk just to get around the transfer. Last week I took my Father In Law to shoot and he is going to buy a gun for the first time in about as many years as I am old. I was just going to loan him one of mine for the time being which is perfectly legal here. My Wife was dead set against doing it. I let her have her way with it as her Father made the choice to go without all this time so if something happens between now and when he gets his own he made that choice.

If someone were to find and do some sort of "loophole" or "work around"...
I would advise against going on the forum or other social media and blabbing about it.

Not saying that I agree with the new law. ( far from it )
Also not saying that I am 'Peter Pureheart" either...
Just saying to be smart about what you do in regards to firearm transactions.
Andy

If someone were to find and do some sort of "loophole" or "work around"...
I would advise against going on the forum or other social media and blabbing about it.

Not saying that I agree with the new law. ( far from it )
Also not saying that I am 'Peter Pureheart" either...
Just saying to be smart about what you do in regards to firearm transactions.
Andy
I want to be clear to all who stumble upon this thread that I am suggesting legal transfers that are allowed for in Federal law and Oregon law in both SB941 and Measure 114. Transfers among family members as listed in my OP are perfectly legal without requiring a background check.

I understand some members supported SB941 and Measure 114 and may be unhappy that they provided transfer exemptions for family members but the exemptions are there and legal to take advantage.

Not to worry, the Gifford's, Bloomberg, LEVO and the rest of their ilk will be along shortly with a measure or bill to close the "family loophole". It'll be "for the children" of course. :rolleyes:

I want to be clear to all who stumble upon this thread that I am suggesting legal transfers that are allowed for in Federal law and Oregon law in both SB941 and Measure 114. Transfers among family members as listed in my OP are perfectly legal without requiring a background check.

I understand some members supported SB941 and Measure 114 and may be unhappy that they provided transfer exemptions for family members but the exemptions are there and legal to take advantage.
I did not say that what you posted was not legal....

I am saying that if one were to find a way to transfer a firearm , that may be considered as "out of the box" thinking...
Then do what you want ...quietly and without attracting any undo attention
Andy

I did not say that what you posted was not legal....

I am saying that if one were to find a way to transfer a firearm , that may be considered as "out of the box" thinking...
Then do what you want ...quietly and without attracting any undo attention
Andy
I hear you. I don't feel like I am giving away any secret loopholes since the gun grabbers themselves put the exemptions in there. I just want to remind members that they will have options if background checks are halted because of Measure 114. PMing the info to members in top secret fashion doesn't seem practical. There are a lot of negative waves breaking around here and I want to spread some positivity around the place.

I like the idea.. but the antis arent terribly familiar with this.. making it publicly aware as in a sort of way of spitting in the eye of the law through currently available what would be perceived as "loopholes" could possibly give the anti gun folks info they didn't consider an issue, to make an issue.

And with school "mass events" I can easily see them targeting gifting firearms to family members like sub 18yo sons a focus here in the future.

I like the idea.. but the antis arent terribly familiar with this.. making it publicly aware could possibly give the antu gun folks info they didn't consider an issue, an issue.

And with school "mass events" I can easily see them targeting gifting firearms to family members like sub 18yo sons a focus.
But didn't antis write the bill and measure, including the family exemptions that are in them? If we go all top secret on ways to mitigate the gun grabs there won't be much left to talk about:)

Send me a list of the gun grabbers that are monitoring my babble and I will put them on my ignore list. I am the crazy one and nobody pays attention to what I am saying anyways.

But didn't antis write the bill and measure, including the family exemptions that are in them? If we go all top secret on ways to mitigate the gun grabs there won't be much left to talk about:)
Oh I know what you mean, I mean that the antis may attempt to change the law realizing there is a swath of individuals who can get firearms without a BGC.. mostly the young ones which I assume would make this a focus for them.

Oh I know what you mean, I mean that the antis may attempt to change the law realizing there is a swath of individuals who can get firearms without a BGC.. mostly the young ones which I assume would make this a focus for them.
I guess I can PM everyone individually, I will start from Zs and work my way down to the As. Seriously if I am giving away the hen house a mod can feel free to delete this thread. I would be surprised if the gun grabbers mistakenly slipped the family exemptions in there though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top