JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the last 72 hours I have walked and surveyed an apple/plum orchard (about 2 acres) that has gone ferral and needs about 130 man hours to bring it back to life and that is just an estimate. Lot of work on that project alone but a huge payoff in the end. Started pruning six trees in another smaller grove of fruit trees. Cruised a stand of scrub oak that will be harvested as firewood next summer. Found an area that if some trees were fell and a small dozer where to "try to move them" could dam up a small run off stream and create a small pond about 80' diameter. Located an ideal spot for bee hives to emplaced by a bee man who will give 50% of the honey as his fee. Gave a 'slant' back MAK 90 with a draganov style stock, to a man who has been like a father to me. Purchased a big bag of rolled oats at WINCO for $10.00.... I think that was it this weekend.

SF-

oh snap! Forgot I started shopping for solar generators.

...I bought deodorant for my bug out bag:eek:

You should try the Cree 3 ultrafire they go for about $15-20 a pop but with 5hrs on low mode, it makes your aa supply last!!

You will be shocked with how bright one aa can be!

+1. I took his advice and bought a few off dealextreme.com and have loved them. They are real bright and seem well made. Great flashlight.

Hi new guy here, read about this forum in the TCGC newsletter. Great thread, thanks; lots of good food for thought here.

My prep for today: reread a summary of a presentation Frank Heyl made to a club I'm active in. Frank (literally) wrote the book on aircrew survival for the army air corps in WW-II, and has consulted on survival since retiring from the Air Force. His talk was for pilots, so described the absolute minimum emergency pack, designed to be small, cheap and especially light weight.

He had some gems in his talk: Jelly Beans require half as much water as chocolate to digest, "...and you get all that variety--there's red ones and black ones and green ones..." He also stressed knowing *how* to use your equipment, signal mirrors, etc. Practice with it before you get into a survival situation.

If anyone wants to have a look-see, the summary was posted in our club newsletter, pg 4-5, <broken link removed>

MrB

He also stressed knowing *how* to use your equipment, signal mirrors, etc. Practice with it before you get into a survival situation.
This is a must. Today I practiced using a magnesium and flint firestarter and to be honest, I sucked. The tinder prep is some serious business and I had issues getting the magnesium shavings to light. It was a bit of a wake up call.

Today we:
Discussed our rendez-vous locations for different situations. As we have young kids (3 and 5) my wife will most likely be with them and it will be my job to get to them.
She will go to 1 of 3 predesignated RV locations based on the situation. If there's an earthquake and bridges are down, we've picked RV points based on which side of the rivers she'll be on.
Home is the primary location.
We have 2 other rally points and then a bug out location.
We need to coordinate with some like minded friends and family and share our plans so that we can pool resources and have options for multiple eventualities.

I also checked that our PUR water filter works.

Bought water purification tablets for the packs.

Repacked separate 24 hour survival packs for each vehicle.
Contents of mine:

FirstAid Kit
2 Nalgene bottles of water
Poncho
Sleeping bag
Goretex bivi bag
Socks
Norwegian Army Shirt

Waterproof Sundries bag:
Matches
Candles
Soap
Bleach
Travel toothbrush and paste
Notebook and pencil
Wet ones
Hand sanitizer

LED flashlight
TLR-1 rail light

Spoon
Canned food
Can opener

2 x 33 rd Glock mags for my G19
100 rounds 9mm JHP
Shotgun ammo belt - 18x00 buck, 6 x 12Ga slugs

My wife's is more a vehicle kit. All of the above, plus more water, clothing and sleeping bags for the kids.
She has a bug out bag with essentials - water, first aid, flashlight, paracord and 50 9mm and 25 .380 defense rounds for her carry guns (Glock 26 and P3AT)

One idea: Use those vacuum space bags, buy and tuck away some undergarments. Socks, underwear, pants(denim), a-shirts, t-shirts, etc.

I had a thought about that when I went with some christmas money and bought some new socks (oh yes i'm a rebel). Wouldn't be a bad idea to tuck those essentials away, won't always find em when SHTF.

Goodwill, walmart, get em cheap, dollartree sells $1 space bags, quick and easy.

bought two Silver Eagle coins, 2009 date. Got them for $40 all in, delivered... would have bought more, but it was a come on and they would not sell me more. But, there are two more in the pot.

Moved the scrapbooks/photo albums to a more accessible area. Also put the Wife's external hard-drive in an adjacent area, and wired it to her computer. Thought is, if we need to go, we grab these first along with our bug-out stuff.

Thought I was paranoid because I keep mine in a desk that sits 5 fee from the front door! Good to know that if I am, I'm not the only one!!

bought two Silver Eagle coins, 2009 date. Got them for $40 all in, delivered... would have bought more, but it was a come on and they would not sell me more. But, there are two more in the pot.

Not a bad price. You can always get more online as well. I use apmex.com.
For smaller purchases up to 13 oz. The shipping is only 12.95.
I bought 10 oz on my first purchase. After messing around with the shipping calculator, Ive decided to purchase 13 1oz bars or rounds at a time. If you purchase 14 or more the shipping goes to $19.95.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top