JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ended up buying another one of those 7-gallon water containers. I thought I would stack the first 8 of them in 2 stacks of 4, but that was too high.
Then I didn't have enough room for 4 stacks of 2. So I got a 9th one today and now I have 3 stacks of 3 and it's just right (Goldilocks)...

I was planning to do some rifle re-loading then......

Well, ever have one of those days when you're looking for something but can't find it?

Yeah....for the last three hours I've been looking for my re-sizing headspace gauges in .308 and it's bigger brother in .30-06. Still no luck. I'll need to regroup and rethink. So anyway, the search is suspended for now.

Though I did manage to find the .223 Rem gauge.

Aloha, Mark

Well, ever have one of those days when you're looking for something but can't find it?

Yeah....for the last three hours I've been looking for my re-sizing headspace gauges in .308 and it's bigger brother in .30-06. Still no luck. I'll need to regroup and rethink. So anyway, the search is suspended for now.

Aloha, Mark
That is my biggest problem; organizing stuff - in part (mostly?) so I can find it when I need it. Also, inventorying stuff so that I know what I need to get and what I don't need to get.

I am working on it.

Ugh! I moved some long term storage food to the crawlspace under the house where it will stay cooler this summer. Moving 50lb buckets of beans etc in a cramped space sucks'
I'm too old for this bubblegum.

Got a new backpack, a daily pack. Got to pack it and balance it out for what to carry. Basic first aid, cell chargers, protien snacks, water, day bag and such...

Aloha, Mark
My Two Favorite Calibers! .308 & .223 :s0090:

Bought enough containers to lay up another 56 gallons of water (8 containers x 7 gal/container).
Will rinse them out tomorrow and start filling them up, then drop in a little bleach (1 tsp/container).
Rationing that out for just me, that's enough water for 8 weeks - use 1 container per week. I like easy math...
Why add the bleach if from a good source?

Why add the bleach if from a good source?
Although almost all tap water in the USA is pure enough to drink from the faucet, the long-term storage of water can provide a breeding ground for algae.
Algal contamination can come from anywhere - a dirty container, stuff in the air that gets in the container while one is filling it, or even the water itself.
Two tsp of 5.25% bleach in a 7-gallon container is enough to kill algal spores before they reproduce, but not enough to make it taste like a swimming pool.

Stored water should be discarded and replaced after 1 year in poor storage conditions, and 2 to 3 years in standard/good storage conditions.
Poor storage conditions would be water stored outside exposed to wildly varying temperatures, unprotected from the sun/dirt, or in clear containers.
Standard storage conditions would be water stored in opaque containers in a temperature-controlled environment.
Good storage conditions are even better than that...

Last Edited:
Although almost all tap water in the USA is pure enough to drink from the faucet, the long-term storage of water can provide a breeding ground for algae.
Algal contamination can come from anywhere - a dirty container, stuff in the air that gets in the container while one is filling it, or even the water itself.
Two tsp of 5.25% bleach in a 7-gallon container is enough to kill algal spores before they reproduce, but not enough to make it taste like a swimming pool.

Stored water should be discarded and replaced after 1 year in poor storage conditions, and 2 to 3 years in standard/good storage conditions.
Poor storage conditions would be water stored outside exposed to wildly varying temperatures, unprotected from the sun/dirt, or in clear containers.
Standard storage conditions would be water stored in opaque containers in a temperature-controlled environment.
Good storage conditions is even better than that...
Interesting. My local utility board uses chlorine in its water treatment. Does adding bleach then need to be repeated for storage?

Interesting. My local utility board uses chlorine in its water treatment. Does adding bleach then need to be repeated for storage?
Bleach is "essentially" chlorine (it's a little more complicated than that, but I assume you don't want a chemistry lesson), just a whole lot less concentrated than the pure chlorine that your water purveyor uses. The bleach you buy in jugs at the grocery store is sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), the same stuff the pool boy uses to shock/treat swimming pools. Grocery store bleach is typically a 6% NaClO solution in combination with 94% of other crap you don't need. But if it were sold to the public as 100% NaClO, then a lot of people would end up killing themselves because strong concentrations of NaClO are highly corrosive and somewhat dangerous if not handled properly. If NaClO is mixed with certain other chemical cleaners, it will liberate chlorine gas, which is unbelievably poisonous. Just a few good whiffs of chlorine gas will kill you, which is why it's incredibly regulated and the folks at your water purveyor are trained in how to use chlorine gas safely. See chlorine gas hazards.

The amount of chlorine added at the water treatment plant is designed to react with other things in the water over time and get "used up" so your tap water doesn't knock you backward with "that bleach smell" when you turn on the faucet. Chlorine will react with viruses, bacteria, organic and inorganic material, metals, etc. over time as the water sits in the storage tower and also in the pipes on its way to your and others' homes. By the time the water gets to you, the chlorine has done its job of disinfecting the water all the way to the point of delivery (your faucet) and likely doesn't even smell like bleach anymore. That's the perfect case - virtually undetectable (to the human nose) chlorine residual. Too little chlorine residual and your water may not be safe to drink from the tap.

Too much residual chlorine is also a dangerous thing, in that it can form various forms of trihalomethane (THM) in the pipelines. THMs are known to cause cancer and birth defects, and were the subject of the very first drinking water regulations promulgated by the EPA way back in the early 1970s and resulted in the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974. Public water systems aim for a chlorine residual in the water at the point of delivery to provide disinfection, but not result in possible THM poisoning. The chlorine residual target is typically just 2 mg/liter, or 2 parts per million (ppm). The maximum allowable is 4 ppm, so you can see that the purveyors are targeting a pretty low residual to avoid getting into THM territory.

So, with the above as a chlorine primer, let's answer your question... :)

Because all of this chlorine has likely dissipated by the time my water gets to me, putting my water directly into containers and capping them is not the best idea, since I'm probably right at that 2 ppm residual. I know this because I know for a fact that my water purveyor uses chlorine to treat our water and that my water just barely smells like bleach when it comes out of my faucet.That's just fine for immediate consumption, but for long-term storage, not so much. Just as the water system folks dose the water at the plant so there's a little chlorine left in it when the water gets to you, so must I dose my water with just a hint of bleach (or iodine) if I'm not going to use it immediately, but instead put it up for long-term storage. One doesn't know for certain what's in those containers one is using for water storage, nor does one know for certain that one's garden hose is "operating room clean"...

Probably way more than what you wanted to know about water treatment, but hey, I'm a civil engineer and I studied drinking water and sewage treatment (what we referred to as "taps and turds") for a semester at the graduate level while still a senior getting my BSCE. Almost went for a MSCE in it, but since it took me 5 lonnnnnnnnng years just to get my BS, I decided I was done with school and just wanted to GTHOOD, get a job, and start my career. I never went back...

Last Edited:
Bleach is "essentially" chlorine (it's a little more complicated than that, but I assume you don't want a chemistry lesson), just a whole lot less concentrated than the pure chlorine that your water purveyor uses. The bleach you buy in jugs at the grocery store is sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), the same stuff the pool boy uses to shock/treat swimming pools. Grocery store bleach is typically a 6% NaClO solution in combination with 94% of other crap you don't need. But if it were sold to the public as 100% NaClO, then a lot of people would end up killing themselves because strong concentrations of NaClO are highly corrosive and somewhat dangerous if not handled properly. If NaClO is mixed with certain other chemical cleaners, it will liberate chlorine gas, which is unbelievably poisonous. Just a few good whiffs of chlorine gas will kill you, which is why it's incredibly regulated and the folks at your water purveyor are trained in how to use chlorine gas safely. See chlorine gas hazards.

The amount of chlorine added at the water treatment plant is designed to react with other things in the water over time and get "used up" so your tap water doesn't knock you backward with "that bleach smell" when you turn on the faucet. Chlorine will react with viruses, bacteria, organic and inorganic material, metals, etc. over time as the water sits in the storage tower and also in the pipes on its way to your and others' homes. By the time the water gets to you, the chlorine has done its job of disinfecting the water all the way to the point of delivery (your faucet) and likely doesn't even smell like bleach anymore. That's the perfect case - virtually undetectable (to the human nose) chlorine residual. Too little chlorine residual and your water may not be safe to drink from the tap.

Too much residual chlorine is also a dangerous thing, in that it can form various forms of trihalomethane (THM) in the pipelines. THMs are known to cause cancer and birth defects, and were the subject of the very first drinking water regulations promulgated by the EPA way back in the early 1970s and resulted in the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974. Public water systems aim for a chlorine residual in the water at the point of delivery to provide disinfection, but not result in possible THM poisoning. The chlorine residual target is typically just 2 mg/liter, or 2 parts per million (ppm). The maximum allowable is 4 ppm, so you can see that the purveyors are targeting a pretty low residual to avoid getting into THM territory.

Because all of this chlorine has likely dissipated by the time my water gets to me, putting my water directly into containers and capping them is not the best idea, since I'm probably right at that 2 ppm residual. I know this because I know for a fact that my water purveyor uses chlorine to treat our water and that my water just barely smells like bleach when it comes out of my faucet.That's just fine for immediate consumption, but for long-term storage, not so much. Just as the water system folks dose the water at the plant with chlorine so there's a little left in it when the water gets to you, so must I (and you) dose my water with just a hint of bleach (or iodine) if I'm not going to use it immediately, but instead put it up for long-term storage. One doesn't know for certain what's in those containers one is using for water storage, nor does one know for certain that one's garden hose is "operating room clean"...

Probably way more than what you wanted to know about water treatment, but hey, I'm a civil engineer and I studied water and wastewater treatment for a semester at the graduate level while still a senior getting my BSCE. Almost went for a MSCE in it, but since it took 5 years to get my BS, I decided I was done with school and just wanted to get out get a job, and start my career. I never went back...
We have seen very drastic changes in tap water in multiple states recently. Do you know what other sanitizer municipal water systems have been using other then chlorine? Having some irrigation suitability(all for commercial ag) tests run, the major difference we are seeing from the prevoius tests is extremely elevated Chloride and Sodium while even though the pH of the water has climbed, the amount of acid to reduce pH has been greatly reduced if not completely eliminated. It's like the water has been run through a "water softener" rather than just being disinfected with Chlorine.

We have seen very drastic changes in tap water in multiple states recently. Do you know what other sanitizer municipal water systems have been using other then chlorine? Having some irrigation suitability(all for commercial ag) tests run, the major difference we are seeing from the prevoius tests is extremely elevated Chloride and Sodium while even though the pH of the water has climbed, the amount of acid to reduce pH has been greatly reduced if not completely eliminated. It's like the water has been run through a "water softener" rather than just being disinfected with Chlorine.
There are dozens of processes for water treatment, depending upon the amount of water that needs to be treated and for what end purpose. If we are just talking about disinfection for human consumption, then chlorine is by far the cheapest and easiest for large volumes of water (on the order of millions of gallons per day). Other disinfection methods for water for human consumption that might be used include ozone and ultraviolet light. These are more expensive treatments, so unless you're in a big city, I doubt your water purveyor is using anything other than chlorine and perhaps a "finishing" hit of UV. Ozone treatment requires the purveyor to own/operate an O₃ generator - not something everyone has...

Because all of this chlorine has likely dissipated by the time my water gets to me, putting my water directly into containers and capping them is not the best idea, since I'm probably right at that 2 ppm residual. I know this because I know for a fact that my water purveyor uses chlorine to treat our water and that my water just barely smells like bleach when it comes out of my faucet.That's just fine for immediate consumption, but for long-term storage, not so much. Just as the water system folks dose the water at the plant so there's a little chlorine left in it when the water gets to you, so must I dose my water with just a hint of bleach (or iodine) if I'm not going to use it immediately, but instead put it up for long-term storage. One doesn't know for certain what's in those containers one is using for water storage, nor does one know for certain that one's garden hose is "operating room clean"...

Probably way more than what you wanted to know about water treatment, but hey, I'm a civil engineer and I studied drinking water and sewage treatment (what we referred to as "taps and turds") for a semester at the graduate level while still a senior getting my BSCE. Almost went for a MSCE in it, but since it took me 5 lonnnnnnnnng years just to get my BS, I decided I was done with school and just wanted to GTHOOD, get a job, and start my career. I never went back...
@sobo, okay, you set yourself up for this:

Does it really surprise anyone here that it took Sobo 5 years to get his fill of BS in "taps and turds?" ...and with a tip of my hat, I'm outta here. Elvis has left the building.

In all seriousness,, this is rather interesting. Our water comes from the McKenzie, some of the best there is. However, I can taste the difference in quality when I am in Portland or even out of state. Even Portland is better than California, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, or Florida. When out of state, especially Idaho, the water tastes "softened"/"conditioned." It has a weird flavor and texture to it. I get this from a number of bottled waters as well. It just tastes and feels funny.

In Richland, OR., my grandparents, aunt, and uncle have excellent well water. When they visit the valley, they can taste and smell the chlorine.

Bleach, iodine, or a good purifier are great to have. I just worry about the long term effects of those on the liver, kidneys, etc.

• Split and stored more firewood.
  • Did another canned goods run. Mainly canned meats, fish, soups, broth, etc. Looking better, but still some to sock away.
  • Replaced a medkit in a farm vehicle that was pretty much dead.
  • Checked caffeine delivery methods stored. Pretty good, but needs work. Still have lots of well stored, loose tea.
  • Setup a new range gong and did some carbine and pistol practice.
  • Sent off payment for another plink'n pistol.
  • Worked on and have plans started that will be most beneficial in the weeks to come.

Harbor freight….. inside track deals on some budget hand tools and fasteners….. always try and grab "O" rings, solderless connectors, bolt packs,….. or something. Hand tools make great neighbor loaners….

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top