JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a lot today, rather than untangling from work crap so I can take a couple weeks off from the office, which has been the ninth circle of hell lately. But I did manage to:

• Ordered a ton of canned beef of various kinds; corned beef, slices, in juices, etc. We'll consume said and I don't see beef prices going down any time soon. Better to have it sort of thing.
  • Ordered an extra Luger magazine. (That piece, assuming it works out, will be more a target pistol for warm summer days rather than "social work", but still handy to have.)
  • Finally got back to some progress on preparedness reading. (I've made it a policy many years ago to always be reading a book from four different categories, preparedness being one of them.)

@The Heretic, if you don't mind me asking, what revolver in .45 ACP? :)
Thunder Ranch 325

It is a bit heavier than my 329PD. I haven't shot it yet - got to learn how to load the moon clips?

• Ordered an extra Luger magazine. (That piece, assuming it works out, will be more a target pistol for warm summer days rather than "social work", but still handy to have.)
I have a Mitchell SS Luger. It has never been able to get thru a full mag, regardless of the mag or the ammo.

One of these days I am going to ask Velzey if he can make it work. I like shooting it, but the FTF frustrates me, so I have not shot it in years.

Mine's about the same.
Yes, this is typical - which is one reason why they failed.

When I was growing up on the farm, I had a friend about a mile down the road, who played "Army" from time to time with his brothers and myself, then we would watch "Combat!" after it got dark.

They had a zinc toy replica of the Luger and I loved the feel of it in my hand. I still do.

Thunder Ranch 325

It is a bit heavier than my 329PD. I haven't shot it yet - got to learn how to load the moon clips?
I had a slight epiphany with the moon clip tool and realized it is pretty simple to use.

So I shot a cylinder full of ball ammo.

Recoil is not near as bad as my 329PD, but still will take some practice to become effective with it.

I do like it. Balance is nice. I can imagine this to be something between my TRR8 and the 329PD.

My thinking is that I want "backups" for the main defensive calibers (.45, 9mm, .40, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, 5.56x45) in more "politically correct" forms that are less likely to be banned (at least in my lifetime) - e.g., revolvers, lever/bolt actions, etc.

I need something like the 325TR in 9mm and .40; lightweight, at least 3-4" barrel. I would like to see Ruger make a LCRx with that barrel length in those calibers - I don't like snubbys - prefer at least a 3" barrel.

Also, one of the benefits of revolvers is it is a LOT easier to keep your brass policed.

When I was growing up on the farm, I had a friend about a mile down the road, who played "Army" from time to time with his brothers and myself, then we would watch "Combat!" after it got dark.
I absolutely loved that show when I was a kid! I grieved the day Vic Morrow and those two kids were killed on The Twilight Zone set...
It was Sgt. "Chip" Saunders that instilled in me a love of the Thompson 1928A1. It's why I wanted one, and why I got one...

(although mine, a 1927A1, is the semi-auto version of what Chip carried)

Note Sgt. Saunders' M1928A1 SMG and my 1927A1 SBR:

Combat_1962.jpg T1BSB.08.JPG

Last Edited:
I absolutely loved that show when I was a kid! I grieved the day Vic Morrow and those two kids were killed on The Twilight Zone set...
It was Sgt. "Chip" Saunders that instilled in me a love of the Thompson 1928A1. It's why I wanted one, and why I got one...

View attachment 1193577 View attachment 1193578
IIRC, I think my friend had a replica of the Thompson SMG too - but it was plastic and I didn't care much for it.

View attachment 1193577 View attachment 1193578

Checkmate King 2, this is White Rook, Over?

I went to the range with my son today. He had just made a purchase on an Accuracy International in .308 Win. He sighted it in from the bench with his scope. Started out at 25 yards and moved it out to 100 yds. IMHO, nice groups of 1" with surplus LC ball. Of course they weren't all 1" groups but, I was impressed enough. And guess who, had to provide the ammo?

If he wants tighter. He'll probably have to get into reloading.

Anyway, I took one of my old Mosin Nagants and light ball surplus corrosive ammo along (the usual painted silver-tipped stuff). I was happy enough at 25 yards. Yeah.....remember, I got some old eyes to contend with. But this time......I tried pushing it out to 50 yards. Wow, I impressed myself. I may have to do that more often.

1651988591757.jpeg

YES, my usual cleaning chores awaited me when I got home. But, all in all a good day at the range.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Bought enough containers to lay up another 56 gallons of water (8 containers x 7 gal/container).
Will rinse them out tomorrow and start filling them up, then drop in a little bleach (1 tsp/container).
Rationing that out for just me, that's enough water for 8 weeks - use 1 container per week. I like easy math...

Last Edited:
Got some more 9mm on the way.

New weapon light for one of the ARs.

Inventoried all ammo and canned/non perishable food in the house.
Picked up 1300 rounds last week myself, Bi-Mart. 17 or 18 bucks/50, new, brass. Currently no limit on that caliber, and some others. Hard to beat when factoring in shipping, though there are some relative deals out there.
Now the "chip off" is getting into .44 mag, so the "old block" needs to work on stocking that up too. And happy to do so.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top