JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did an inventory of SIG mags.

Learned that I have way more 9mm mags than I need for the P226 - so that is enough of those. Going to order more .40 mags, which I do not have too many of - so that I have enough.

Bought some 2022/2340 mags here that I was low on

This morning it occurred to me that I should probably spray the extra mags with Balistol and then vacuum wrap them and put them in the plastic ammo cans that I am removing ammo from (the ammo will go into the metal cans).

SIG Mags
9mm
2 - 10 rd mags
3 - 15 rd flush fit mags
8 - 18 rd flush fit mags
18 - 20 rd ext mags

Note: this is for three P226s that have both .40 & 9mm capability. I think 26 hi cap mas is plenty, even when divided up by three. That is 8+ mags per gun just for 18+ capacity - not counting the 15rd mags.

So yeah "enough" - maybe too much.

OTOH:

7 - 10 rd mags
3 - 12 rd mags
2 - 13 rd mags

I need more .40 mags! Today I will be ordering at least ten more 15 rd mags (I think I have a few already, I just need to keep searching for them and add them to the inventory).

But not just any lint. Only pure cotton lint. So, the lint from towels, denim jeans, cotton T-shirts, bed sheets, etc.
Mix it with some vaseline for easier lighting and keep it in an old 35mm film canister (if you can find them anymore).
Keep a couple canisters in each of your BOB, GHB, and FA kits.
I put the lint in old toilet paper tubes covered in Vaseline and then Saran Wrap them.

SIG Mags
9mm
2 - 10 rd mags
3 - 15 rd flush fit mags
8 - 18 rd flush fit mags
18 - 20 rd ext mags

Note: this is for three P226s that have both .40 & 9mm capability. I think 26 hi cap mas is plenty, even when divided up by three. That is 8+ mags per gun just for 18+ capacity - not counting the 15rd mags.

So yeah "enough" - maybe too much.

OTOH:

7 - 10 rd mags
3 - 12 rd mags
2 - 13 rd mags

I need more .40 mags! Today I will be ordering at least ten more 15 rd mags (I think I have a few already, I just need to keep searching for them and add them to the inventory).
If the bans start seeping into OR from WA and CA you can never have enough mags. LEVO is doing their best to kickstart it here. We'll see how it goes this November.

Ordered more bottles of potassium iodide, and am printing off instructions for its use.

"HOW POTASSIUM IODIDE WORKS:
Certain forms of iodine help your thyroid gland work right. Most people get the iodine they need from foods like iodized salt or fish. The thyroid can "store" or hold only a certain amount of iodine.
In a nuclear radiation emergency, radioactive iodine may be released in the air. This material may be breathed or swallowed. It may enter the thyroid gland and damage it. The damage would probably not show itself for years. Children are most likely to have thyroid damage.
If you take KI, it will block or reduce the chances that radioactive iodine will enter your thyroid gland."

Last Edited:
Told my little man I love him and prayed for his future.

Also spread some horse manure I got for free in the field to grow better grass for these 2

70E4F697-9413-4487-9308-7804FB59EA42.jpeg 9C6364CC-B822-4604-9C9E-80A160DF2997.jpeg 7A2ADB43-94E3-4EF5-B887-6226D98716EA.jpeg 5992925C-E417-4163-AAD3-64A23D895C4F.jpeg

I'm sitting here in the dark so forgive me if I can't provide a link back to the post I made about the solar lights that I bought where I promised that I would give some feedback.

As is usual with me I procrastinated and did not put the map but today I lost power about 5 hours ago and just as I was getting ready to go to bed because the power's not back on yet I recalled that I had the solar lights for outside sitting in a box on the table and so I put one up and turned it on and it worked real well as I walked around it detected that I was clear across about 25 ft away and turned on and provided plenty of light for the living room and the other room across the hallway and some even for the kitchen.

So I put one in the kitchen and even though it's way up on a shelf that's all maybe 8 ft high and and not that good for detecting me when I'm in the kitchen it worked fine if I walked in the kitchen.

So I put one in my master bathroom too so I have some lighting if I have to get up in the middle of the night and I don't have to search around for one of my battery back lights I just walk in the bathroom and like comes on so I think these are going to work real well I'm going to get some more probably just for this situation and use the ones that I have to go outside so that's it still no power going to hit the sack Jack

So I got power back about 130AM. The little blue LED in the light itself provided just enough light to help me not stumble into things in the room.

It is also easy to turn these on and off completely - you just press the button until the blue light goes off.

So I got power back about 130AM. The little blue LED in the light itself provided just enough light to help me not stumble into things in the room.

It is also easy to turn these on and off completely - you just press the button until the blue light goes off.
Regarding losing power- do you ever notice problem areas where trees or branches are getting too close to the lines? I have called my PUD in the past to ask them to do some preventative maintenance, and they obliged. Pretty sure I have avoided power loss like this a few times. Seems like a no brainer, but if nobody calls, the trees don't seem to get cut...until a storm blows them into the lines.

Regarding losing power- do you ever notice problem areas where trees or branches are getting too close to the lines? I have called my PUD in the past to ask them to do some preventative maintenance, and they obliged. Pretty sure I have avoided power loss like this a few times. Seems like a no brainer, but if nobody calls, the trees don't seem to get cut...until a storm blows them into the lines.
The arborists are up here several times a year, every year - I see them all the time - along the road that the power line comes up on. They trim back the trees around the power lines so that the trees don't touch the power lines by simply moving around. The county also does the same with brush on both sides of the road (not for the power lines, but it helps because the brush does grow up into the power lines) - they cut it back with a flail to keep the brush in check.

However, tree limbs break and fall. After a real good wind, I see big limbs sticking in the ground - widow makers. Also trees fall too. Sometimes the hardwoods split. To prevent this from causing power outages you would need to have all trees cut back several hundred feet at least. I have trees that are easily 200' tall - although conifers do not fall as often as hardwoods - the conifers are less brittle and they sway with the wind, but sometimes they do fall, and their limbs do break, especially the dead ones on the lower parts of the trees.

I have lost trees that have fallen on my property, occasionally across my private road, and always every year a lot of widow maker limbs. But the private road has underground utility lines so trees are not a power outage issue on the private road, it is the public road where the trees are an issue, and every fallen tree I have seen on the public road was a hardwood, and most of the ones on my property too. The only conifers that have fallen on my property have been ones suffering from rot.

Finished my taxes - I really need to get this procrastinating tendency of mine under control.

Why is that prepping? Well, for one thing, I will get $ back and that frees up some $ for preps. For another, it lets me get prepping chores done without feeling guilty about not doing my taxes.

Did my grocery shopping yesterday. Grabbed some granola and berry jam on sale at Winco.

Today I am living without electricity until sometime this evening, or maybe tomorrow. Apparently a tree fell across the power line. I did not expect this much snow; 6 inches or more. It is melting now though.

Anyway, I ran out of well water pressure (I do not have a way to power the well pump as it does not come off the house power). I must have a leak somewhere in my faucets/etc., as I usually have pressure for several days. I should have filled my water jugs weeks ago. Lesson learned.

I am keeping warm with the woodstove - plenty warm, enough firewood.

I wrapped a potato in foil and stuck it in the coals in the woodstove. I'll let it cook for about an hour. I have some curry with veggies in the fridge - I will put that in an aluminum pan to heat it up and then have some lunch.

I am running my WISP/router off a UPS for now. I should have laptop power for another 5 hours. I am not running a genset for now.

Today I am living without electricity until sometime this evening, or maybe tomorrow. Apparently a tree fell across the power line. I did not expect this much snow; 6 inches or more. It is melting now though.

Anyway, I ran out of well water pressure (I do not have a way to power the well pump as it does not come off the house power). I must have a leak somewhere in my faucets/etc., as I usually have pressure for several days. I should have filled my water jugs weeks ago. Lesson learned.

I am keeping warm with the woodstove - plenty warm, enough firewood.

I wrapped a potato in foil and stuck it in the coals in the woodstove. I'll let it cook for about an hour. I have some curry with veggies in the fridge - I will put that in an aluminum pan to heat it up and then have some lunch.

I am running my WISP/router off a UPS for now. I should have laptop power for another 5 hours. I am not running a genset for now.
Yeah.... a surprise storm shows me just how unprepared I still am. Over 6 inches of snow. Power went out at 4:30 this morning for thousands around here. We got very lucky and it came back on at 11. No water from the well when it's out which is a pain! We have a decent supply of drinkable water so ok there but the whole house generator is coming this Summer. If used just for emergencies, we should be able to get enough water from the well every day for 4-6 months. I would like to get a second propane tank for heating and cooking as well. At my old place, I had over 1000 gallons of propane storage for a commercial greenhouse. Had a generator that ran off of propane so we could go for months if necessary.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top