What did you do today to prep?

DangerDog

Reactions
I have a CB radio in my vehicle. But, that is pretty much required when going into the mountains out here to avoid getting crushed by a logging truck hauling butt down a 20' wide dirt road with nothing but blind corners.

It may be useful for other situations, but the range is very limited. Maybe a couple of miles.
I was considering getting a CB for the truck as well. Don't want to order anything online right now due to the state of and potential state of the country right now. Things are going to get crazier.

EHJ

Reactions
Bought more military MRE's and rearranged my gear. Even though I've been training with it on I still don't like to lug around a lot of weight if I can help it. The knee braces help with the load though I've found. Wish I would've known about knee braces while I was in the Marines. That would've helped SIGNIFICANTLY!

Programmed my Baofeng UV-5R's and only things I've been able to pick up is weather channels. Which lets me know it's working but haven't been able to pick anything else up. During these times of crisis, communication is key. Figure I need to do more research into that matter. I worked communications in the Marines over 10 years ago, so you know...use it or lose is...

Also sharpened the Ka-Bar, weapons check, and got more storage fuel for the truck and filled the gas tank again. Keep those tanks topped off as much as you can. Be safe out there!
Check out a program called, CHIRP. It makes Baofeng programing a snap. Just find the correct cord.

Camelfilter

Reactions
4 bags of Lundberg brown rice from Costco. Good stuff.

Working on filling the yard with stuff that produces edibles instead of just compost.
Prefer Basmati myself, but brown rice is more nutritious - OTOH, it doesn't store as long as white rice.

Costco sometimes has what appears to be vacuum packed bags of rice; 20# size and the bag is usually hard in that if you known on it, it feel hard instead of soft like a bag that the contents are free to move a little. To me that says the bag is at least airtight and would store longer.
We prefer Jasmine, and do Basmati now and again, however long term store Parboil.

Parboil is the better compromise for nutritional value & ability to keep well. Keeps about as well as most regular white rices.

Whereas no matter what one does, brown rices do not store well long term.

Haven’t noticed parboil at Costco, we bought ours from Cash & Carry (now Smart Foodservice Warehouse) in the big sacks.

DangerDog

Reactions
I woke up...thankful for the SUN. About to replace some oil lines on the truck and figure out why water is getting in the cab! Heavy rain + clogged drain hole somewhere = leaking? WHO KNOWS! Stay safe out there ya'll.

EHJ

Reactions
Yes I also got the Baofeng programming cable and I programmed it with CHIRP, thank you.
Cool.
This may be of interest. Repeaters can't be relied on solely if a grid down thing happens. That's when simplex (p2p) is important.

A good list.

Last edited:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom