JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought some light weight camping pans and a bio-fuel small stove with a single burner. Can use alcohol or leafs and small twigs. Also got some small cooking utensils and small cutting board and cutting knife. I also got measuring cups as well that I well keep by the white buckets of food rations.

Last Edited:
Tested some JIC gear.

Caught 11 mice over the last week with glue traps. I hate those little SOBs!

fark_6TkJDEVVVylSVy4HkUri3x85GBI.jpg

On a similar note ^^^ I ordered 5 pounds of Amdro (best stuff for ants I've found) and a case of hornet spray. We don't have a huge problem with either of these pests, but they are around, and if not nipped early, will multiply quickly. I always consider bug control when prepping. Plus, a lighter and some hornet spray make a great weapon. :p

Saw a mouse in the storage container yesterday, so I grabbed my last box of D-con :( , put it in there and that sucker was dead this morning next to the box. EPA be damned. :mad: There is no food or water in that container, so I'm guessing it would have died eventually anyway. Thankful I found it right away and hopefully it was alone.

Where there is one mouse, there are a dozen more. I have used poison and they carry that back to their nest and others feed on it, but the glue traps get them too when they come inside. They make a terrible mess and get into stuff that you don't see until you go digging thru it.

Cleaned pistols, started to clean up my loading area (friggin' mess *@!!) I have about 2K of spent brass I shot out this summer that I need to process. Pistol, Rifle, AR.
All my outdoor gear is disorderly from the four camping trips this summer. If I had to bug out tomorrow, I'd be forked.
Recently purchased two used 30-30's. One had action and external rust, the other sloppy internals and a rusty bore. Sloppy internals will prevent a cartridge from loading, period. Got both 30-30's back into shape. Taking them out to practice tomorrow for Deer Season. Both will ultimately need complete takedowns (one for rust, the other for re-bluing).

Practiced some hot water canning skills. Made some bread and butter pickles and banana peppers. It was enlightening to see what I though was a ton of stuff fit into 6 quart jars. Also good to know my propane burner for frying turkeys is a ton more efficient than stove top.
An old crone suggested to me long ago, fuggitaboudit with the boiling. She got sick and tired of burning her hands with steam and hot water.
It's been 6 years since I canned anything but this is what I remember:
  1. Put them on a sheet (or in a cast iron pot) in the oven at 200° (might be 250°) Sheet is easier but has to be strong enough.
  2. You have to learn the time it takes to heat the jar contents up to 180°, that's the mark you have to hit.
  3. Pull the jars out and just put the lids on (don't bother screwing the rings on). If you're concerned they won't seal, put a little weight on each, nothing more than a book over a few or a small rock on each one, etc.
  4. Once they've cooled, tighten down the rings.
Works great.
I don't can meat stuff like sauces, but of the ~4 dozen jars I made back then, I've only had 3-4 pop. I check them all each year.

Stayed a couple hours after work for a Red Cross presentation on preparedness, mostly about Cascadian subduction zone preparedness.

It was ok. Mostly geared towards the urban Portland audience.

I have some reservations about the length of time they think people will need to survive without help, and what is going to happen when help doesn't come in that time period, and how people in Portland will react, but it is better than nothing.

There was very little I had not already thought about, but I did get a few reminders of things I need yet to do.

They did not cover how to get out of Portland - which is my main concern if I am at work. I suspect they would have said "shelter in place" and help people where I am at - uh yeah, sorry, not going to happen, as soon as possible I am skedaddeling. I have family to care for.

Ordered another case of 5.56 and 10 Pmags off of a Palmetto deal.

Headed over to my dad's place in a few minutes to haul the last of my gun stuff to my place. Hard to believe it's been in storage for over a year and a half.

Drawing up plans to finish the inside of my armory vault and conceal it. Should have a break in work early December. Figure it'll take about a week. Pics when it's done.

Stayed a couple hours after work for a Red Cross presentation on preparedness, mostly about Cascadian subduction zone preparedness.

It was ok. Mostly geared towards the urban Portland audience.

I have some reservations about the length of time they think people will need to survive without help, and what is going to happen when help doesn't come in that time period, and how people in Portland will react, but it is better than nothing.

There was very little I had not already thought about, but I did get a few reminders of things I need yet to do.

They did not cover how to get out of Portland - which is my main concern if I am at work. I suspect they would have said "shelter in place" and help people where I am at - uh yeah, sorry, not going to happen, as soon as possible I am skedaddeling. I have family to care for.

+1
Family first. In an event of that magnitude the situation will devolve quickly. Get out, get home......

Repaired the door jam for the door that I kicked in months ago. Put a new one piece strike plate on it with 3" screws.

Caught some more mice in the glue traps. I know there are more. It is a never ending battle.

Mayhaps give a 5gal bucket trap a go as well? Supposedly easier to catch more. Haven't made one yet, but likely will for the shop before winter.

Cruised just about everybody in Grants Pass OR looking for a very nice complete SHTF automotive emergency road side repair kit. No luck. Christmas gifts. I will have to piece together myself everything I believe might be needed. Leaning heavily on multiple flat tire fixes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top