What did you do today to prep?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by coctailer, Nov 5, 2009.

1. bgdawgrr

bgdawgrr
    Washington

Bought 3k primers off the shelf. Small pistol, large pistol and small rifle.
    Stepping up my reloading game.

CountryGent likes this.
  2. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

I got some much needed shooting practice in today. I also ordered 500 rounds of Fiocchi, 240-grain, .44 Magnum ammo. A book on preparedness from a female perspective came in yesterday:

HhaHPjo.jpg

My better half is in no way "clueless", but we read everything we can on the topic. Easily the best thing that has helped us prepare as that we are on the same wavelength with respect to preps. Beyond our own family, our parents, and others are as well, though my side takes a more casual, "fly by the seat of your pants" attitude on it at times. But I digress.

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon

I was slammed for time today, but did make progress on the reading list, and ordered an 8-pack of those mylar emergency blankets to replace some.

Angie and Tully Mars like this.
  4. MasterChief1

MasterChief1
    ID
    It isn't what it used to be... Bronze Supporter

Tully Mars and CountryGent like this.
  5. jmh119

jmh119
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

I recently got some original stripper clips for my Broomhandle Red 9. They were in poor condition due to rust. So, i figured i would throw them into my tumbler (dry media) with some 38sp that i needed to clean... Not the best idea! That media PACKED behind the spring like you would not believe! Buy hey, they look better now.o_O

Certaindeaf likes this.
  6. jmh119

jmh119
    Hillsboro, Oregon

I recently got some original stripper clips for my Broomhandle Red 9. They were in poor condition due to rust. So, i figured i would throw them into my tumbler (dry media) with some 38sp that i needed to clean... Not the best idea! That media PACKED behind the spring like you would not believe! Buy hey, they look better now.o_O

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon

The brown van just dropped a very heavy box:

MDf9TA0.jpg

:D

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow
    Elma, WA

I wonder how that would work in a Sonic cleaner.
    o_O

9. jmh119

jmh119
    Hillsboro, Oregon

i just might have to give it a try!

10. bgdawgrr

bgdawgrr
    Washington

Oiled up some new Nickel boron BCGs. Very slick! My first:D

Taco_lean likes this.
  11. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR area

Noticed something funny.

I'm a far cry from a fully self-sufficient survivalist who can seamlessly switch to living off the land in a bearskin overcoat when the SHTF. But I do make a point of keeping at least a minimal stash of non-perishable food, drinking water, fuel, etc. handy, in case we have a significant shaker, breeze, etc. I vividly remember my family huddled around the Coleman stove and lantern for a few days and nights after the Columbus Day storm.

More recently, I was thankful a few times (when I still lived in Portland) that I had jugs of clean water to drink when the city tap water supply was tainted. By the time I heard about it, ALL liquids had disappeared from all local store shelves. Sort of like what happened when I visted Salem last month, finally finding a liter of cold water at a little store in Carlton on my way home. Dayton and Mac were out.

So here's the funny part. In casual conversations when I intentionally drop the word "prep," I often get a "knowing" wink/grin and some comment like, "Oh, so you're one of those, right?"

WTF??? "One of those?" I don't think keeping gas in my vehicles, a spare propane cylinder and enough water to drink for a week makes me some sort of pessimistic doomsday prepper any more than hiding $100 out of sight in my wallet or buying another six-pack before this one's gone.

I'm not bugged by this. I'm just amazed at how many seemingly intelligent people give zero thought to being even minimally prepared when (not if) our wellspring of resources becomes interrupted, even for just a few days.
    -------------
    BTW, my two latest emergency items are a LifeStraw and a converter hose to run camp stoves and lanterns off a spare 20 lb. propane jug.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Angie, partsed, Pete F and 3 others like this.
  12. slimer13

slimer13
    Deer Park

I think it's just a shift in mindset and culture from the times when being semi self sufficient was necessary and normal, to now when most people go to the grocery store or eat out every day, and have little food at home.

It gets more normal the further into rural areas that you go to maintain a level of preparedness where you are often on your own for various reasons.

I don't have a fallout shelter or own any NBC gear, but I would eat fine for quite awhile if I couldn't get to the store for awhile.

These are my grocery stores.

20180807_111754.jpg

20180807_111818.jpg

13. erwin643

erwin643
    Vancouver, WA

Speaking professionally:

- You shouldn't try to aspire to "bearskins" during your lifetime. That's more of a generational collapse thing (It's good to see some people maintaining those skills, however - Skinning, black powder flintlocks, etc,).

During the Obama years, survivalism went mainstream (prior to that, it was the Y2K scare, driven by professional IT people). People like me were no longer part of a "fringe" - not as much fun. Also, the preparedness movement was being hijacked by the religious right, which ties-in to the fact that preparedness/survivalism took a nose dive, just prior to Trump getting elected (along with all that retail, to include the downward spiral of gun shows, etc.).

It used to be more fun when us Survivalists were seen as a "fringe." To be honest, those days seem to be returning (at a time when the exponential numbers behind global population growth, resource extraction and climate change are accelerating even faster).

PS: While propane is a current luxury and is readily available (even I have a grill and a couple of tanks), I would focus on wood/biomass stuff as your foundation: Wood stoves, rocket stoves (using a locally invented grill made of ceramic briquettes, I BBQ on a brick one I built in my backyard almost daily). I couldn't believe all those idiots in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, complaining of no way to cook anything, when they were walking all around fuel and materials with which to build a rocket stove (American Peace Corps volunteers have been teaching people how to build them in Third-World countries).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  14. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA

I had not heard about a rocket stove before. That is a neat idea. I think I will build a nice concrete or brick one for the backyard.

15. erwin643

erwin643
    Vancouver, WA

There's also the portable ones made by Stove-tec of Eugene, OR.

Taco_lean likes this.
  16. Decoy

Decoy
    Gorge

Took my new terrapin x out and mapped out the surrounding features (ranges) and mapped them from a couple of different angles. Put them in my data books.

Taco_lean likes this.
  17. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA

Great idea!

18. MasterChief1

MasterChief1
    ID
    It isn't what it used to be... Bronze Supporter

19. pdempsey1097

pdempsey1097
    West of McMinnville

Still on the health kick - down 50 lbs and 6+ inches of waist size (From 38 to 32").
    Haven't been at this weight and waist size since high school.
    Still working out 5-6 days/week including some weights, cardio and push/ups/crunches/planks/etc

Took a full day "Run The Gun" Class last Friday and am adjusting accordingly based on what was learned.

Picked up a #10 can of Mtn House for $4 off at Bi-Mart

Had a small patch of pre-cancerous melanoma removed, and scheduled a colonoscopy

Angie, d2the3, Medic! and 8 others like this.
  20. Capn Jack

Capn Jack
    Wet-Stern Washington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Heard some whimpering as I passed my safe and remembered I had forgotten to clean a couple of rifles. :eek:
    While I was at it, I added a 1/2" riser under one of the new scopes to give me a better field of view. o_O
    Tri-focals are really a bother, even if they are blended. :D:D:D:p