JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently got some original stripper clips for my Broomhandle Red 9. They were in poor condition due to rust. So, i figured i would throw them into my tumbler (dry media) with some 38sp that i needed to clean... Not the best idea! That media PACKED behind the spring like you would not believe! Buy hey, they look better now.o_O

I recently got some original stripper clips for my Broomhandle Red 9. They were in poor condition due to rust. So, i figured i would throw them into my tumbler (dry media) with some 38sp that i needed to clean... Not the best idea! That media PACKED behind the spring like you would not believe! Buy hey, they look better now.o_O

I also ordered 500 rounds of Fiocchi, 240-grain, .44 Magnum ammo.

The brown van just dropped a very heavy box:

MDf9TA0.jpg

:D

I wonder how that would work in a Sonic cleaner.
o_O

Noticed something funny.

I'm a far cry from a fully self-sufficient survivalist who can seamlessly switch to living off the land in a bearskin overcoat when the SHTF. But I do make a point of keeping at least a minimal stash of non-perishable food, drinking water, fuel, etc. handy, in case we have a significant shaker, breeze, etc. I vividly remember my family huddled around the Coleman stove and lantern for a few days and nights after the Columbus Day storm.

More recently, I was thankful a few times (when I still lived in Portland) that I had jugs of clean water to drink when the city tap water supply was tainted. By the time I heard about it, ALL liquids had disappeared from all local store shelves. Sort of like what happened when I visted Salem last month, finally finding a liter of cold water at a little store in Carlton on my way home. Dayton and Mac were out.

So here's the funny part. In casual conversations when I intentionally drop the word "prep," I often get a "knowing" wink/grin and some comment like, "Oh, so you're one of those, right?"

WTF??? "One of those?" I don't think keeping gas in my vehicles, a spare propane cylinder and enough water to drink for a week makes me some sort of pessimistic doomsday prepper any more than hiding $100 out of sight in my wallet or buying another six-pack before this one's gone.

I'm not bugged by this. I'm just amazed at how many seemingly intelligent people give zero thought to being even minimally prepared when (not if) our wellspring of resources becomes interrupted, even for just a few days.
-------------
BTW, my two latest emergency items are a LifeStraw and a converter hose to run camp stoves and lanterns off a spare 20 lb. propane jug.

Last Edited:
Noticed something funny.

I'm a far cry from a fully self-sufficient survivalist who can seamlessly switch to living off the land in a bearskin overcoat when the SHTF. But I do make a point of keeping at least a minimal stash of non-perishable food, drinking water, fuel, etc. handy, in case we have a significant shaker, breeze, etc. I vividly remember my family huddled around the Coleman stove and lantern for a few days and nights after the Columbus Day storm.

More recently, I was thankful a few times (when I still lived in Portland) that I had jugs of clean water to drink when the city tap water supply was tainted. By the time I heard about it, ALL liquids had disappeared from all local store shelves. Sort of like what happened when I visted Salem last month, finally finding a liter of cold water at a little store in Carlton on my way home. Dayton and Mac were out.

So here's the funny part. In casual conversations when I intentionally drop the word "prep," I often get a "knowing" wink/grin and some comment like, "Oh, so you're one of those, right?"

WTF??? "One of those?" I don't think keeping gas in my vehicles, a spare propane cylinder and enough water to drink for a week makes me some sort of pessimistic doomsday prepper any more than hiding $100 out of sight in my wallet or buying another six-pack before this one's gone.

I'm not bugged by this. I'm just amazed at how many seemingly intelligent people give zero thought to being even minimally prepared when (not if) our wellspring of resources becomes interrupted, even for just a few days.
-------------
BTW, my two latest emergency items are a LifeStraw and a converter hose to run camp stoves and lanterns off a spare 20 lb. propane jug.

I think it's just a shift in mindset and culture from the times when being semi self sufficient was necessary and normal, to now when most people go to the grocery store or eat out every day, and have little food at home.

It gets more normal the further into rural areas that you go to maintain a level of preparedness where you are often on your own for various reasons.

I don't have a fallout shelter or own any NBC gear, but I would eat fine for quite awhile if I couldn't get to the store for awhile.

These are my grocery stores.

20180807_111754.jpg

20180807_111818.jpg

Noticed something funny.

-------------

Speaking professionally:

- You shouldn't try to aspire to "bearskins" during your lifetime. That's more of a generational collapse thing (It's good to see some people maintaining those skills, however - Skinning, black powder flintlocks, etc,).

During the Obama years, survivalism went mainstream (prior to that, it was the Y2K scare, driven by professional IT people). People like me were no longer part of a "fringe" - not as much fun. Also, the preparedness movement was being hijacked by the religious right, which ties-in to the fact that preparedness/survivalism took a nose dive, just prior to Trump getting elected (along with all that retail, to include the downward spiral of gun shows, etc.).

It used to be more fun when us Survivalists were seen as a "fringe." To be honest, those days seem to be returning (at a time when the exponential numbers behind global population growth, resource extraction and climate change are accelerating even faster).

PS: While propane is a current luxury and is readily available (even I have a grill and a couple of tanks), I would focus on wood/biomass stuff as your foundation: Wood stoves, rocket stoves (using a locally invented grill made of ceramic briquettes, I BBQ on a brick one I built in my backyard almost daily). I couldn't believe all those idiots in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, complaining of no way to cook anything, when they were walking all around fuel and materials with which to build a rocket stove (American Peace Corps volunteers have been teaching people how to build them in Third-World countries).

Last Edited:
couldn't believe all those idiots in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, complaining of no way to cook anything, when they were walking all around fuel and materials with which to build a rocket stove (American Peace Corps volunteers have been teaching people how to build them in Third-World countries).

I had not heard about a rocket stove before. That is a neat idea. I think I will build a nice concrete or brick one for the backyard.

Took my new terrapin x out and mapped out the surrounding features (ranges) and mapped them from a couple of different angles. Put them in my data books.

Still on the health kick - down 50 lbs and 6+ inches of waist size (From 38 to 32").
Haven't been at this weight and waist size since high school.
Still working out 5-6 days/week including some weights, cardio and push/ups/crunches/planks/etc

Took a full day "Run The Gun" Class last Friday and am adjusting accordingly based on what was learned.

Picked up a #10 can of Mtn House for $4 off at Bi-Mart

Had a small patch of pre-cancerous melanoma removed, and scheduled a colonoscopy

Heard some whimpering as I passed my safe and remembered I had forgotten to clean a couple of rifles. :eek:
While I was at it, I added a 1/2" riser under one of the new scopes to give me a better field of view. o_O
Tri-focals are really a bother, even if they are blended. :D:D:D:p

This week:

Had blood work done - full panel. Saw cardiologist. Says my cholesterol is now in normal range as is all the rest of my blood work. Blood pressure is still high per readings at home.

Did some research on BP monitors and bought a better one - apparently the ones that read with a cuff on the upper arm are more accurate - so I bought one of those and it was delivered today.

Got a .357 SIG barrel/slide for the Mk25. It fits fine. Now I need to get a .40 S&W barrel and some ammo for both .357 SIG and .40 S&W to test it. I am not a particular fan of these, I just think it would be a good idea to have at least one gun that can shoot them should I come across the ammo in a SHTF scenario.

A few things ...

• I wrapped up an important project. It was digitizing every important, or semi-important, document we have (IDs, marriage certificate, passports, birth certificates, house/land papers, ATF 01FFL, approved NFA forms, teaching licenses, financial records, wills, kid's immunization records, et al.). It was burned to three DVD-Rs (one for the file cabinet, one in our EMP box, and one to the safe deposit box) and then encrypted and stored on a secured server we have control over. If "the big one" goes does down, we have multiple redundancies on important and/or irreplaceable documents and records.
  • Loaded up for a day of shooting tomorrow with the Mrs. Lots o' mags, safety equipment, ammo, targets, etc., are ready to roll for some practice and fun on Wednesday.
  • Ordered more canned bacon and brown bread to replace what we used up.
  • Installed new grips on the Model 29. I like the look and feel of the originals, but I'm going to try out the Pachmayr type tomorrow. I can always return the original, wood grips if they don't offer any improvement.
:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top