JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We put almost 1000 miles on our bugout vehicle

FCC7203D-65B9-4296-A06E-DCFD5FFC7B73.jpeg

I used my new Lee Auto Prime & primed 268 40S&W cases before it friggin broke!!!! :mad:
Going to return it & buy a better one....:rolleyes:
Seems to be a common occurrence with those. Some owners say that there is a trick to using them, but I am skeptical. Nice design and I would love to have one that works. Lee has great customer service, so shouldn't be a problem getting reimbursed or new parts if you want to try it again - and maybe make yourself crazy. Let us know if you find a better one.

We put almost 1000 miles on our bugout vehicle

View attachment 426337
Where exactly do you plan on bugging-out to?
This concept has been way overplayed within the preparedness movement, unless you live in a fire or flood zone. Here's a link to probably the most famous article on the subject that went viral years ago:
The Fallacy of Bugging Out – Are You Prepared to Be a Refugee?

For WROL/TEOTWAWKI scenario, I hope you have at least reinforced it with firing positions, and can cover 360 degrees around the vehicle. If you want to stick with this giant, rich-looking person's target of a vehicle, you better be prepared to think land-version of a B-29 bomber. Otherwise real bad guys who have already experienced collapse in their lives are going to say "bubblegum suckah', look at that big-bubblegum RV with those rich Mo-fo's in it..."

Remeber: Those Blackwater mercenaries who were ambushed in Falluja, Iraq were actually ambushed from behind: The one area they didn't have covered.

From my own experience vending at the Packwood Flea Market, you think you're going to be safe "out in the country"? Think again. I've never seen such a concentration of poor white trash, drug addicts and gang members all in one area.

As a professional Survivalist, my experience began being abandoned as a child, and dumped into CA's foster care system back in the 1970's. Just during periods of economic downturn in this country, I know what depravity people are capable of.

Just recently paid $290.00 for a six-hour summit with Peak Prosperity's Chris Martenson and Adam Taggart, along with 29 other people.

Peak Prosperity | Insights for Prospering as Our World Changes

Anyone not familiar with Dr. Martenson and his three E's (Energy, Environment & Economy) should be. Just the networking alone was worth it. The average educational level of this group was pretty high.

To make a long story short, Chris Martenson's Peak Prosperity movement (IMO) bridges the gap between the Bible-Thumpers who in recent years have hijacked the entire preparedness meme, yet are highly skilled and heavily armed, with those at the extreme other end of intellectual awareness, who know precisely what's coming, based on the numbers coming from such things as the 1972 MIT Limits to Growth study, climate change, resource depletion, current global economic situation, etc. However, in many cases, the latter group does not have a prayer going for them, in terms of actual preparedness.

Those of us who attended are staying in touch with each other, and planning get-togethers, in order to from real community. However, out of respect for the original members of this summit meeting, will not be announcing any of these get-togethers as of yet.

We've been rearranging the pantry. It was a good opportunity to wipe things down and do an inventory.

I ordered a Mossberg 590 Shockwave a few days ago for use as a truck gun. For just in case a forty-five isn't enough. :)

I'm putting two new five gallon water purifiers together tomorrow and moving some firewood.

Put up two motion detector solar lights on trees along the driveway. Greatly improved what I can see out there at night without using a flashlight to explicitly give away my position or when I am inside the house. Going to change out the batteries in some non-solar lights and put up the game-cam to see what occasionally trips the lights in the middle of the night (most likely it is deer).

The newly purchased 42 gallon Rubber Maid, (WTF?) wheeled trash can got wheeled into the spare bedroom closet. Had to compete with the gun safes. Fit very well. Lots of clearance going down the hall and through the door.

Now in the process of filling it up with the overflow excessive whatever everything SHTF bug out bag needful bug out stuff. Seems we got carried away just adding stuff to the bags. Finally clearing off the work bench. That is all.

Processed a nominal ton of range brass; I still have a 17 pound backlog of O/F 5.56...

Checked into the Salem repeater (529 Lunch Bunch).

Changed the oil, rotated tires, and fixed another oil leak on the old Chevy; 304,015 original miles...this leak was the o-rings and gaskets on the oil filter housing/assem.

It was a slow day at the office, so I traveled further south to pickup my approved can. The drive featured nice weather and beautiful countryside. Oh, and finally the 5.56㎜ silencer is a go. :)

can-can.jpg

Regarding loading up then unloading then reloading up USGI 30 round magazines: As a young kid at about age 8 I distinctly remember having fun unloading then reloading about a dozen 30 rd mags. Dad was watching from a distance. Just an ordinary kid enjoying a rainy afternoon which was rare because we lived in sunny Southern California L.A. area. :)

Odds'n'Ends:

• Installed a silencer on the shorty AR-15 (SBR with 10½" barrel) yesterday and just got back from the home range testing said. Random observations:
    • I shot a total of 115 rounds (1 5-round mag, 4 20-round mags, and 1 30-rounder). It was a mix of standard loads.
    • There were no malfunctions of any kind.
    • Since these were regular loads, there was still the sonic crack, but the sound reduction was noticeable. The Mrs was outside some acres away and said she could hear the crack, but it sounded more like a much smaller firearm.
    • Though it was informal shooting, the accuracy was fine.
    • All and all, so far, so good.
  • Read some more of a gunsmithing book.
  • Picked up hardware for a project.
  • Did some comparison shopping on a new bench grinder. Next time I'm at the farm supply, I think I will invest in one.
  • Found and loaded up a few more M1 Carbine mags.
  • Some canned corned beef came in and is now stored.
:)

Started working on a timber sale that may let me pay off my mortgage this year and have some cash left over. That may let me start shopping for land further out that I can build a self sufficient homestead on sooner and have more cash to build with. Maybe retire sooner too.

Tested new springs in the 14 round mags for the P227. So far so good. Need to put another 14 rounds of ammo thru each before I am relatively certain that this fixes the problems they had with factory springs.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top